It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Universe have a Purpose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
There was a two page spread (ad) in this weekends' NY Times "week in review" section w/ quotes from specific authors/researchers.

The site has some other interesting questions posed to readers.... here is the website they posted: www.templeton.org...

Interesting read and maybe a step closer to disclosure. . . .

[edit on 8-10-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The Templeton foundation is a creationist organization that funds studies trying to prove things such as Intelligent Design. It's hardly a scientific organization and I would therefore take anything its site says with a grain of salt about the size of Jupiter.

they have an agenda and are not really scientific.

So whether you wish to believe them or not will depend on whether you are religious or not.

[edit to add] Here is a story from the skeptic's view about them:

www.edge.org...

[edit on 8-10-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
does it have a purpose?

really, i don't see one. until one is displayed, it will remain arbitrary, pointless, and uncaring.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The Universe has the purpose to offer a context within which one can exist.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

that isn't purpose, that's function

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The universe has one and only purpose : to entertain DarkSide.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
i see 2 possibilities
1. To reproduce and simply live , just like us , ie do we have a purpose the universe could be 1 section of a fractal thats never ending

2. Designed by source as a means of having a relative prospective of itself , ie to create something separate from all there is and all there will ever be
basically this is gods game that it plays with itself, cause what else are you gonna do if your everything and here forever

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The question here is one of the most beautiful I've seen on ATs. Yes this Universe is filled with purpose and the greatest being life sustaining. It is what miracles have been born of and that in and of it's self gives the potential for enlightenment. To continually be expanding and moving forward towards higher development. We are just reaching to the stars and the realization of quantum unity and interdependence. This is the space where one can feel their heart and yet can also feel the heart of others. With every breath is complete and total purpose. From here to the farthest reaches of our incredible Universe, there is nothing except purpose.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Antar has a great answer to the question. Now the question is...
What is enlightenment-really. Even the word enlightenment presents problems because it is a noun when the present is a verb or a continuum of action -all is in constant creativity. That's why Christians run into trouble on this point too because they say God is a creator-another stagnant noun when actually if there is a God it would be the continuum of creativity not the lame 6 days then a day of rest. If anything God is the continuum of creating (nondualistic creating which includes the Create/destroy dichotomy.
Humans are evolving toward light beings though Dzogchen texts that have been taught on 2 other planets in this galaxy (according to these texts printed centuries ago-Google it) explain that we were actually light beings that have devolved entropically but through certain mind practices can re-attain our light being status.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Here is a story I think is quite meaningful.

The Creator was talking with his angels one ‘day’.

Great multitudes of holy Beings were gathered in awe and endless love around their worshipped exalted and exquisite Creator.

‘All we wish is to merge with your bliss and glory, to become You.’

The Creator listened to these wonderful angels and replied,

‘Oh beautiful beings of light, oh My sweet creations’

‘If I allow you to begin to become Me without having all My abilities and awareness and intelligence, My fore knowledge and My many other wondrous attributes, this would create a vast and calamity.’

The Great Mind then considered the desire of these beautiful angels these beings of Love.

‘Because of my great love for you, my children, I will grant you what you desire.’

‘This is my plan.’

‘I will create an Illusion and I will place you in this illusion. The illusion will be so wonderful and so real and so magnificent that you will not be able to tell that it is not real.’

‘I will allow you to play in this Illusion. In this Illusion I will give you all of My powers. You will be able to experience Me. Within the bounds of this Illusion you will be able to do all things. There will be no bounds to your powers. You will in essence be me but limited in the illusion. Because you will be ignorant on being placed in the this Illusion you will make many mistakes. But this will not matter because all your mistakes will be Illusionary. Even if you attempt to destroy My whole Illusion you can do no harm with the powers that I am going to give you because all you will be doing is destroying an Illusion.’

‘The Illusion will be so powerful that it will continually draw you into its unreality. When I place you in this Illusion, it will take great skill and intelligence from you to be able to discern what is real and what is unreal.’

‘One thing I must tell you. In the Illusion I will create three particular vast and infinite aspects, namely, continuing creation of the Illusion, maintenance of the intricacies of the Illusion and destruction of the Illusion. To create the Illusion, I will create a vibration. This vibration will appear in and on a brilliant mirror called Mind to create a three dimensional illusionary cosmic arena called space. This vibration will create an attribute called motion which will in turn create a further attribute called time. Vibrational motion will resonate and resound in seemingly infinite amazing ways and thus create and sustain the Illusion. Where they harmonise they will create beautiful Illusionary shapes and flowing movements. Where vibrations clash they will destroy the Illusion. These vibratory illusionary forms will thus appear in an Illusionary cosmos.’

‘The Illusion will be very beautiful indeed.’

‘You will live within this realm of three dimensions and motion and time passing through endless cycles of creation (birth), maintenance (life) and destruction (death), all Illusionary.’

‘You will be regaled by many and varied and endless experiences’

‘You will create endlessly as I do. Every thought will be your involuntary creation. Thought will lead to word, and word to action.’

‘In this way you will learn in safety how to truly use all of My powers and abilities’

‘I will always be there, but invisible to you in the Illusion to protect and support you, even though you will not know I am there. You will truly be My greatest creations’

‘Finally after many experiences, after many Illusionary births and lives and deaths you will safely learn all My powers and abilities and you will be drawn towards Me. Then you can finally obtain your desire and merge in reality with Me.’

‘This is My plan My children.’

‘What do you think?’

And we awaited The Creator’s Illusion and our turn to take part in this exquisite experience and opportunity.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Nice story but it still is stuck with a creator that is separate from the angels.
Achieving enlightenment means that you can realize that you've never been separated from the primordial luminous creative awareness and the illusion is that people think they are separate. Once you achieve this realization then a phase change can begin just as the rainbow bodies achieved by advanced Tibetan Lamas who leave behind after death only their hair and nails. Phase change as in water to steam. Phase change for humans blood and flesh to light beings. (Google-rainbow bodies-Jalus in tibetan) People are limited by their mediocrity conditioning to keep them meat puppet slaves because if they ever knew that through practices they can achieve enlightenment they would spend much time on that rather than on the trivia fed by mass media. That's the real conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well, all I can offer to your question is my personal mythology.

There are millions of universes and dimensions to experience, one of their purposes is "to experience", another is "to find out what their purpose is". Its like a fun mystery game that goes on for eternity.

These Universes would be like bubbles within bubbles within bubbles. "Enlightenment" would be waking up from one bubble into the "next bigger one". While from the earthly viewpoint this would seem like "the ultimate experience" it is only a droplet of an experience in another context.

The soul has focussed so intensely on this mini-aspect of the game that it is somewhat caught in a universe within a universe within a universe (russian doll analogy) and is not quite certain of the way out...a trap which is also part of the game.

From this vantage point its all rather inconceivable so might as well just enjoy the ride.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Enlightenment is the realization that nothing is separate....it is all a part of the whole...no matter what it's physical make up...it is all one creation...one energy.

Electricneo...i applaud your post...

~peace, light and love~

top topics

join