It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SSSC ~~ANGEL~~

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
BLACK RIVER
Population: 650

and one old coot

So the sign says.As the old Ford truck rattled past.Henry Crabb knew the spray painted addition to the sign was about him.He didn't care.Black river had been his home his entire 72 years on this earth,and he did not give a damn if anyone liked him or not.

Turning onto main street, past the single church in town,and the beer store which even the smallest of towns always had,he noticed all the children in costume walking with their parents,going door to door and begging for sugary,tooth rotting garbage.
"What a stupid holiday..." he muttered.
Finding a parking space in front of the Valuemart,he shut off the engine,and carefully stepped out of the truck.His damn arthritis was making every step painful in this damp,cold weather.If it weren't for weekly groceries,he would be glad to never leave the house.Sometimes,he didn't.
Henry's closest neighbour,the other side of his some 50 acres,was a young fella by the name of Leon Price.Leon lived in a small house with his wife Annie and made his way in life by doing odd jobs here and there.He helped Henry whenever he could.Cut and split the wood, mow the grass, shovel the snow, and on Henry's really bad days,Leon would go into town and do the shopping for him.Henry always paid him what he could,senior benefits being as meager as they were.Today, however,Leon was up in the bush far north of Black River,getting more wood,and would not be back till tomorrow morning.
Inside,the store was just about to close.
" Now Henry Crabb,you know we are trying to get outta here, what you want this late?"the cashier hollered at him.
"Don't get your knickers in a twist there Marion.Just give me 5 minutes.Besides,the dang door was still open!"
Marion just shook her head."Old, coot" she whispered.
Henry went around the store getting the dozen or so items he most needed and proceeded to the checkout.Marion began to ring up his groceries.Just then out of the backroom,came a group of two young boys and two girls with them, all between 18-20,and employees of the store,just finishing their shift and on their way home.They eyed up Henry on their way out and he heard one of the girls say "Hermit Crabb" to the giggles and delight of the other three.Marion just rolled her eyes at their antics and gave Henry his change.
" Damn kids have no respect for nothin' or nobody."Henry mumbled, grabbing his groceries and shuffling out the door.
He put his bags on the passenger seat and fired up the old engine.
"Yeah,she's old and a bit rusty,but she's still got spark this old gal." He patted the dashboard lovingly." That's my girl,Betsy, let's go home."

Out of the parking lot and back onto main street, he spotted the four from the store.As he drove past he heard"Hermit Crabb, Hermit Crabb!"
Glancing in his rearview mirror he saw one of the boys give him the finger.
"Good Lord what do parents teach their kids these days?Absolutely no respect for their elders, that's what!" Henry was grumbling again,quickly put in an even more foul mood.
It was times like these when he was glad he never married and had children.Henry liked to be alone.Liked to do things his way.He didn't need some naggin' old woman,or little brats running around his feet getting into his stuff.Worse than a bunch of raccoons youngin's are...by the Jesus.
Back on the road to home the night was clear and many stars could be seen through the dark blanket of night.Even though there were no streetlights, he didn't need them to see.Henry knew every hill and turn on this gravel road.He could probably drive it with his eyes closed.Not a good idea he realized,as he passed two deer by the side of the road,their eyes glowing in his headlights.
Best just to keep looking where I'm going, he thought.
"Damn ,stupid deer.Never know when one of 'em is gonna jump in your way from drivin' from A to B, by the Jesus.."

Home sat just over the next hill.Henry could already see the smoke billowing out of his chimney.Good thing too.He needed a good warm sit by the fire.The night was getting very cold and the trip to town made his legs ache even more.

He placed his groceries on the kitchen table, putting away each item except for a can of tomato soup and a box of tea.Filling up the kettle, he then placed it on the stove,and went fishing in the drawer for a can opener.
"Nothing like hot tea and soup by the fire I'll tell you!" Henry spoke to no one,as he opened the can.He did that a lot.
Soup and tea on a tray,he went over to his favorite chair by the fireplace,and put the tray down on a little table beside him.Walking over to check the fire,the latch opened with a loud creak,and a small puff of smoke blew out at him with a few sparks.The fire had started to die down. Using the poker he moved the coals around and blew on them a bit...making them glow a fierce red back at his breath.He grabbed a couple of birch logs from the wood box and placed them on the coals...blowing again till the paper thin bark caught.Birch catches fire quickly and easily,so that soon it was a blazing heat.Closing the door, he went to sit down.
This was Henry's favorite place to be.Just sitting by the fire.Through the window of the fireplace he watched the flames lick the wood and dance all around it.Almost as if they were caressing it,courting it, while at the same time devour it to ashes.
The warmth of the tea,soup and fire....started to make him sleepy.
" Guess it's time for bed then." he said out loud.
Getting up, he checked the fire again,threw in a big maple log to slow burn throughout the night,and closed the damper almost right down.He picked up the tray and carried it to the kitchen.Stretching and yawning,he looked out the kitchen window at the garden that was partially illuminated by the moon.

Something out there moved.Then just in front of the window a black shape moved past.He jumped back from the window,startled.Henry was not sure what he had seen.
"Probably those damn stupid deer,nibbling at my garden again.I'll go scare the little hoofers off,by the Jesus!"

Over to the door he put on his rubber boots and jacket,and grabbed a flashlight off the nearby shelf.Around the back of the house was dark.The light from the tiny kitchen window could barely shine on anything out here.
He looked around but saw no deer.
"Humph! Probably took off when I opened the front door."
He took out his flashlight and scanned all around him.Nothing.Walking over to the garden,none of his plants appeared to have been touched.He pointed the light between the rows,on the dark earth,looking for hoof prints.On the last row,just under the kitchen window,was a print.A fresh print in the soft mud.Not a deer print mind you,a human bare foot print.So small it could have belonged to a child.Yet there was only one,as if it had hopped on one foot,and then away.
Henry was flabbergasted.
No children around here.Was this a joke?Perhaps those young whippersnappers from the store had decided it would be fun to play a trick on him.Perhaps even bringing a younger sibling along to share in the fun.
His thoughts were interupted by the sound of a wolf howling in the distance.
His blood began to boil with rage.
" Alright you young hooligans.I know you're out there....Show yourselves!"
No response.
" By the Jesus when I get my hands on the lot of ya, I'll tan your hides , I will!"
No response from the night came back to him.Not that he figured they would own up to it anyway.Well, if they came out here,they came by car...he thought.So Henry took his flashlight and hobbled up to the road, shining it first in one direction,then the other.Nothing.
" Little buggars probably parked just over the hill so I couldn't see them.God Damnit!"
So up the hill he went,flashing the light back and forth in the ditches and in the trees.At the top he shone the light down the road.Nothing.No cars.Henry didn't know what to make of it all.But the ache in his legs had returned with a vengeance,and he needed to get back to his warm fire.

WHOOSH!

A breeze suddenly from behind him,and a shadow moving overhead.
"What in tarnation is that?"
WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH!
Giant black wings flapped together in the sky, bigger than any raven he had ever seen.
" Jesus Christ!" Was all Henry could say.
Landing on the road,a good 30 feet away from him...was a girl...a woman...he could not be sure.Her body definitely a woman...but her face so childlike.The most beautiful creature he had ever seen.Completely naked,long dark flowing hair,and illuminescent from a light that came from within her.Her black wings at rest behind her shoulders, she smiled at him,and extended her hands, beckoning him to come to her.

Henry was both enraptured and terrified.His old worn out knees shaking in fear.My god she was so beautiful! But this was not right.Iam too old.She is a bringer of Death,come to take me away.
Henry let out a loud cry...
"NO! NOT NOW! NOT YET! I AIN"T READY FOR YOU! COME BACK IN TEN YEARS!BE GONE WITH YOU!"

[edit on 8-10-2007 by AccessDenied]

[edit on 8-10-2007 by AccessDenied]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Her arms fell back at her sides,and her smile turned to a frown.She looked at him curiously,with her head tilted to one side.Henry stood transfixed in place.No way was he going to move closer to her.
Then just as quickly as she had landed,she spread her wings and took flight again, flying over Henry so close the whoosh of her wings blew his hair about.
As she flew away,a single black feather,floated down through the air,and landed on the ground at his feet.
What did this mean?Did he just cheat death?Did he defy it?My god he must have.She was gone and he was still here.
He looked back down at the feather.
Aha! A souvenier. He picked it up and ran his fingers along the dark softness of it.So beautiful.
Shining his flashlight back down the road, he made his way home.

So good to be inside.Oh , the warmth.He sat back in his favorite chair, putting his feet up on the ottoman,and covering his legs with a tattered old quilt.The feather still in his hand,he gazed at it for a long time.Then his eyes grew heavy,and he fell into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of Leon's old Dodge truck, chugging,exhaust black with oil,entered the driveway. A load of fresh cut wood in the back.Leon stepped out,a plate of fresh baked muffins in one hand.Walking towards the door he noticed no smoke coming from the chimney.Odd.Henry would never let the fire go out.
He knocked once before walking in.Henry always left his door open.No worrying about burglars out here,and he had nothing of value any how.
" Henry!, You Up and about! I got that 2 cords of wood for ya, and some fresh baked goodies from Annie!"
No reply.
Leon looked around and saw Henry,sitting up in his chair in front of the fireplace,long since gone out.His legs propped up on the ottoman,and covered by a quilt.
Walking closer,Henry appeared to be sleeping, but for the pale colour in his complexion,and the huge smile on his face.
The black feather,still clutched in his left hand.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Marvelous! I enjoyed your story so much. I have to tell you I wanted to do one with the black winged messenger.... I also wanted my Halloween Avie to be with the black wings... Loved it, good creative way to start the day.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thanks Antar...I love black winged angels...I collect images of them...and yes..I even have 2 sets of my own wings...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Good story to read. It's sweet and kinda sad at the same time. I felt the grumpy old man was lucky to have a black angel as his "bringer of death."

Very nice.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Thank you so much...I agree,he could have had the Grim reaper himself... but too cliche'....

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Absolutely incredible.

Wow.

Please, keep it up.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

...a girl...a woman...he could not be sure.Her body definitely a woman...but her face so childlike.The most beautiful creature he had ever seen.Completely naked,long dark flowing hair,and illuminescent from a light that came from within her.Her black wings at rest behind her shoulders, she smiled at him,and extended her hands, beckoning him to come to her.

Great description! Such a nice bloom of the AMAZING into the routine life of Henry Crabb...exactly what Halloween is about.

Nice work.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Essedarius

Many thanks Essedarius.....I agree he was very lucky to glimpse that before his death.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Lexion

Thank you...you know how much it means to hear that.I already wrote #3. I believe a floodgate has been opened.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I loved this story as well
, you're a master at this stuff , I've got nothing else to say .............

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by steve-o

Thanks buddy....I can't believe I put off writing for 20 years.... WHAT was I thinking????

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Amazing!
So descriptive.
I loved it...
Reading it really brings back memories.
Keep writing.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
what's the significance of a black angel? Nice story btw. Is the black angel associated with death like the guy in the robe with a scythe?

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LordHrodric

In my world, yes..an angel with black wings in an angel of death.But to use the grim reaper is too cliche'. Besides..I have a passion for fallen angels..hence the inspiration for my story. Thank you for the compliment.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Nice AD, i hope she comes for me when its my time. Ahh, i wouldnt have knocked her back.

mojo.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mojo4sale

Mojo you are one naughty little monkey

So what does it mean if I have 2 sets of black wings???

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I really loved your story AccessDenied.

My Grandfather had no religious beliefs when he died. I remember when he had his 2nd heart attack. I was only 9 years old, at the time. We were waiting for the emergency crews to arrive. Grandpa was laying on the couch holding his chest in pain. I said, "Don't worry Grandpa I prayed to God and you will be ok." He got mad and yelled, "There's no such thing as God, Heaven or Hell. I'm just going to be put in the dirt and the maggots will eat me up. THAT'S ALL,,,No God Period!"
He got a pacemaker implanted and lived for another 15 years. I wasn't with him when he passed away. Your story got me wondering who came to visit my Grandpa when he was going to die?

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Mountain star...wow, what a personal story you have shared with me.
I was in the hospital room with my mother when she past away,and I remember her eyes being fixed on a point behind me,first looking very fearful, then calm.I always told myself it was my dad coming for her who had past away 12 years before.I also remember, I opened the window,even though it was a chilly early April morning, to let her spirit leave the room. I honestly do not know why I did that.It was just instinct.I didn't want her to feel trapped in that hospital room anymore.Silly really,when the spirit is not confined to the physical world anyway.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
AccessDenied twice in my lifetime I've seen something leave bodies. The first time it happened was when I was working in a Nursing Home. A very ill and elderly woman died. Two others and I were to clean up her body before, the funeral home picks her up. Within a few minutes we all seen a lighted vapor like substance rise up slowly, from her body and Zap Right through the ceiling! We just stood there and stared at the ceiling.....then looked at each other like "Did you see that?" Later, we talked and all of us seen the exact same thing.

The second time my husbands Aunt Frances was dying. She virtually drank herself to death, after her husband died. My husband couldn't bear to stay in the hospital room. I told him I would stay with her and hold her hand. Shortly after she took her last breath I seen something leave the body. This time is was different because *it* left so Fast! *It* went through the large hospital room window, like a bolt of lighting. Of course, I was there alone with her, but I know my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.

Your story just brings back memories. Ones, I don't wish to forget so Thank-you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join