It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Medical Tricorder is Here!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Ok, it's not exactly like the one used in Star Trek, but it certainly looks like it.

Small Scanners Find Hidden Heart Disease

(AP) -- What if your doctor could swipe a wand over your neck and reveal whether you have hidden heart disease? That is now possible in places other than the sickbay of the starship Enterprise.

Miniature ultrasound machines are starting to make their way into ordinary doctors' offices, where they may someday be as common as stethoscopes and EKGs. A pocket-sized one weighing less than 2 pounds hit the market last week.

Some of these devices can make images of neck arteries, which offer a "window" to heart arteries that cannot easily be seen. If the neck vessels are clogged, doctors know that those around the heart probably are, too, and that treatment or more testing is needed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Fascinating, isn't it? If they combine it with some of the technology on this Japanese phone prototype, we've really got something here!

New Prototype Phone Gives Fitness Check

(AP) -- It can take your pulse, check your body fat, time your jogs and tell you if you have bad breath. It even assesses stress levels and inspires you with a pep talk. Meet your new personal trainer: your cell phone.

The prototype Wellness mobile phone from Japan's NTT DoCoMo Inc. targets users with busy lives who want a hassle-free way of keeping track of their health, according to company spokesman Noriaki Tobita.

The phone, unveiled this week at the CEATEC electronics show outside Tokyo, has an inbuilt motion sensor that detects body movement and calculates how many calories you burn.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Granted the technology in the phone isn't that cutting edge, but since the tricorder thingy costs $10,000, it'd be nice if it had extras. Whaddya think?

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I think I would prefer the entire Star Trek society and not just this thing, but it will have to do for now.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I reckon thats an awesome idea. No more having to go and book costly ultrasounds at the xray centre, the doctor can just do it in his office!

Thanks for posting this, hopefully it hits the medical market

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
... No more having to go and book costly ultrasounds at the xray centre

Oh rest assured it will still be costly, I mean we will still be dealing with doctors and insurance companies!

Great post, this type of thread is why I like ATS.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Ten grand? Is that all? It's a step in the right direction for sure.

I'm looking forward to the day they don't have to stick me with a needle once a month to test my blood. Looks like they might solve that annoyance in my lifetime.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if Gene Roddenberry was a time traveler. Has anyone noticed how many things from that old show are now part of everday life? Phones that you flip open and beam a message into space, tricorders now, and they're working on teleporters, though that may be a ways down the road.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sci fi has always been a kind of "prophecy." The pulp novels about Doc Savage were full of gadgets that became reality after the fact.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Dr McCoy would be proud !!!!!
And yes we need humanity to adopt some of the Star trek philosphy before we end up destroying ourselves. We have the technology comming through now that will benefit many people and saves many lives. yet we use it for killing each other. Damn shame.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I think it's more of a case of sci-fi providing inspiration for science. I'm sure a lot of scientists enjoy sci-fi tales when they were growing up, so they in turn are inspired to turn what they read into a reality. At the same time, a lot of really good sci-fi writers are either scientists themselves or read about the latest breakthroughs in science as a source of their inspiration. In a way, one feeds back onto the other, and both progress and push the envelope of what's possible.

That's my take on the phenomenon.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

You are so very right, IMO. I was speaking more tounge-in-cheek with my post, though that works no better for me on line than in the real world.

The sci-fi writers are the dreamers that make tomorrow happen.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Good find Beechcoma.

I'm a bit nervous about it's early stage use however. I'd hate for the doctor to misread the information or for it to give an incorrect reading.

I could most likely make something to look like this out of old blackberrys and other cell phone parts and call it a wonder machine to sell to some third world countries. Just a thought.

new topics

top topics

join