It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costs of Soldier Protection (The future costs may double)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I came across this picture. I don't know if it's totally accurate or not, but I'll say it does seem to be true. Better protection, less chances of dying or injured. Better protection equals bigger cost. What do you think it means to you economically and generally?

What do you think of this?

[edit on 8-10-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Anybody? Has this been discussed before? If so, a link to the thread would be appreciated.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I agree that costs will continue to increase if the human soldier continues to be the priary method of response, but in my opinion, I think the cost to outfit soldiers may go down as reliance on automated machines start replacing the human soldier - think drone aircraft, remote controlled bomb robots etc.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Oh yeah, the future should be interesting - it is most likely that the machines will replace the human soldiers, such as cyborgs and stuff, I agree with you on that one.

I remember seeing this metal gear solid trailer, where the robots have been deployed somewhere in the middle east, and man, it was freaky as hell.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Although the system is relatively expensive, the new Objective Force Warrior system will offer phenomenal protection. Also, I doubt highly that "drones" will replace the human soldier within this century. But as for "cyborgs", this will probably happen soon but not as pop culture has portrayed it. The U.S. Army is considering a conceptual soldier with nanotech in their body to give them "superhuman" strength. This system is called "FutureWarrior". Not to be confused with the actual non-concept Objectiive Force Warrior (OFW) in the pic on Theone's post. OFW will be the special forces of the Army and will be used on soldiers in smaller numbers than the (starting 2010) standard issue uniform of Future Force Warrior (FFW), the child of Land Warrior. The cost issue is actually quite cheap when you factor in how effective this system has been in tests. Fans of the game Ghost Recon 2 will know what I'm talking about. Sorry for the semi-exhaustive info but this near-Halo type stuff is pretty cool.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join