It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Society's OTHER essential liquid.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
This dry spell we've got down South has got me thinking, how would one survive an extended (decades-long) drought? Procurement of water is of course important, but one also has to consider the effects on agriculture, hydro-electrics, local ecology, etc.

I've searched the forum and didn't find any threads on the issue. Could become important with all the worries of global climate change.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by Firestorm_]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
hmmm boiling salt water with something over it to collect the water vapor anlet it drip on the sides into a pan may work also check out man versus nature (something like that) he shows how to do it in the desert episode water running out of a rock is filtered by the rock...and dont be scared to just boil water and drink it if your gonna die of dehydration what do you think our forefathers did? and if there was a drought that would mean no food as plants need water and so does live stock hopefully the drought doesnt come but i wouldnt be surprised i live next to a dry line which ussually causes storms to flare up once they get east of us but something happenned recently. last year we had our first tornado in more then 30 years fortunately there was only one casualty but it did quite a bit of damage. that would be one thing except then there were 8 more that spring. www.kcbd.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firestorm_
I've searched the forum and didn't find any threads on the issue. Could become important with all the worries of global climate change.

Here's an excellent thread maintained by worldwatcher:

Soon to be Worldwide Water Shortage??

There's useful info in there pertaining to survival but you've got to dredge it up (within the 7 pages). I think I did post somewhere in there about how to procure water in a survival situation.

Otherwise, there's this fancy new gizmo you can check out:
Lifestraw Personal Water Purifier

And here's a news article on BBC about it:
New straw to kill disease as you drink

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Les Stroud distilled a bit of H20 from his urine lol..
He put a cup in a hole in the sand, peed around the cup and then put a plastic sheet over the hole..
the water evaporated out of the urine, collected on the plastic and then dropped into the cup..
Gangster mentioned making a desalination device.. I would think if the above procedure works for urine, it could also work on a larger scale with salt water..

top topics

join