It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon can provide electric power sufficient for 1000 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
english.pravda.ru...

01/24/2004 15:13
According to Academician and member of Council on Space of Russian Academy of Science Eric Galimov, the Moon can provide the mankind with electric power sufficient for 1000 years of use.
"Scientists think that the Earth supplies of oil, gas and uranium will be exhausted in the 2150s, therefore currently the mankind is required to look for alternative sources of energy", he said in an interview to ITAR-TASS information agency.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have also read of them using it for nuclear powered rockets, so not only would a moon base be profitable but would almost be a must for future exploration

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I haven't read the link, but I'm guessing it's helium-3 fusion. If they can actually get it to work (which they have yet to do) then this will be a great boon for the planet. It produces a fantastic amount of energy compared to it's mass.

The sceptic in me thinks that this is part of the reason Bush has decided to go back there. The US wouldn't want to be asking the Chinese if they can have permission to land on the moon and borrow some helium-3.

This technology, solar chimneys and microwave energy beaming from satellites are the three methods I think have a great future.

If you haven't seen solar chimneys, look at the plans for the ones in Australia, it will be a very impressive sight.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
yeah but also solar power ect.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
www.ecology.com...

have you seen this? It's going to be very tall, very impressive, generate loads of free power, and provide a massive greenhouse for growing food. I'm all for this!

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by Zzub]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
looks like the milinium tower from a startrek voyager episode but its cool if they build hope they do

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
www.ecology.com...

have you seen this? It's going to be very tall, very impressive, generate loads of free power, and provide a massive greenhouse for growing food. I'm all for this!

This is fantastic. There's no logical reason NOT to do it.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Fantastic post zub..that thing is cool...can I get the family size?

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
I haven't read the link, but I'm guessing it's helium-3 fusion. If they can actually get it to work (which they have yet to do) then this will be a great boon for the planet. It produces a fantastic amount of energy compared to it's mass.

The sceptic in me thinks that this is part of the reason Bush has decided to go back there. The US wouldn't want to be asking the Chinese if they can have permission to land on the moon and borrow some helium-3.

This technology, solar chimneys and microwave energy beaming from satellites are the three methods I think have a great future.

If you haven't seen solar chimneys, look at the plans for the ones in Australia, it will be a very impressive sight.

Don't you mean Hydrogen-3 (3H)? Also called tritium...used in thermonuclear devices.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
No, I'm pretty sure it's helium-3. Very rare on Earth, abundant on the moon.

I'll go check.

edit - It is helium-3 that's on the moon which this article is referring to. I don't know much about tritium, you could be right, it may also be on the moon.

*wanders off to look up tritium*

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I see what you were talking about. Here's a link:

www.asi.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the link! An estimated 300 billion a year for 100 tonnes of the stuff, that's pretty valuable indeed.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I think the cost could go down if they build the energy converter on the moon itself and beam the energy to earth so you can tap in the plant if you are on the moon. and it can be a part of the future base

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
thats pretty intresting. id love to go work for them

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
are there any clean bi-products from H 4??? anyone know zzub? Hmm maybe they'll be taking volunteers to go to the moon and mars to set up shop sign me up.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheConservative
I see what you were talking about. Here's a link:

www.asi.org...

Awesome stuff. So let's get going before the oil-dudes get their hands on it!!

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
"Scientists think that the Earth supplies of oil, gas and uranium will be exhausted in the 2150s, therefore currently the mankind is required to look for alternative sources of energy"

and if that means using nuclear energy, then so be it!

down with greenpeace! they should go do soemthing useful like help fight famine in africa.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
true baning rechearch on nuclear power can not be the way we got tones of waste now only way to find out how to tackle this problem is rechearch and practical using technics. if we find a way to re-use waste for fuel or energy we can go one.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
NOW we can begin wars over stellar and heavenly bodies INSTEAD of land on earth, AND then quickly destroy them too!
SWEET

top topics

join