It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Torture and American Values - 10/17, a Day of Shame!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   

On Torture and American Values - 10/17, a Day of Shame!

www.truthout.org

...rewrite the Detainee Treatment Act and the Military Commissions Act to conform with actual American laws and values.

For the rest of the nation, there is an immediate question: Is this really who we are?

Is this the country whose president declared, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall,” and then managed the collapse of Communism with minimum bloodshed and maximum dignity in the twilight of the 20th century? Or is this a nation that tortures human beings and then concocts legal sophistries to confuse the world and avoid accountability before American voters?

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

[edit on 8/10/07 by khunmoon]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This is a NYT OP, I put the truthout link for convenience of not signing in.

There is not much to say about this, except that you need to do something to change your image back to what it once was, a beacon of freedom and possibility.

Though it might have been a lie from the very beginning, it gave believes and hopes to most of the rest of the world.

It all changed on that fatal day the Military Commision Act was put into legislation. That day U.S.A. became a fascist state. Without any of you -cept a handful- knew anything about it.

Remember to fly your flag on half next week, on 17th of October.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The US became a police state the instant they started writing legislation because of the 9/11 attack.

The government WANTS to have absolute control over its' citizens, why have to go through the ordeal of begging for votes, and worrying about public support when you can simply point a gun at them all and tell them what to do, or else.

Sadly, the US saw the end of its freedom the very second those planes hit the trade centers and pentagon.

If the terrorists intention was to destroy what America is...

The terrorists have won...

A long time ago.

Killing them now is nothing more than a vengeful blow after you've already taken a fatal hit.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Well, I wrote this for and posted it in Breaking Alternative News. Within seconds it was moved to here - to be sure nobody notices it?

I admit it isn't excactly hot news, but a reminder of a shameful anniversary coming up, was my motive for posting it.

But it is kind of hot for a conservative outlet like NYT to bring it as its primary Sunday OP.

It gives hope, even to an old skeptic like me, that things maybe not are too late to change, that it might be possible to restore the credibility of the United States of America back to what it once was, freedom in its widest sense... of course with the personal responsibility once guided by plain common sense (now -like evrything else- taken care of by lawyers).

But common sense will always exist as long as there are common people. Unfortunately common people are treated worse than... let's just say dogs, these days. Look at all the hate there is in US media, a master murdochiversion to take you're attention away from how you actually are treated.

Protesters labeled as criminals, homeowners suffering from the financial mess of a nation in need to spend close to one billion dollars a day to pretend it to be safe, but really just to show the world.

What a pity show. Deep down in the soft cushions of the sofas and chairs of the Oval Office the desecreation is known. Together with coc aine residues and the dust in those cushions were the mightest men have sat, it is known. Even dust has a memory.

Some day that dust will come back and haunt these men of arrogance together with the millions of souls they have tormented.

My suggestion is in no way radical, but only the measure build into your leglislative system, if crooks and gangsters should come into power. I dare say they are now, and it's getting late, so the call for impeachment should be immediate.

Remember to fly your flag on half 10/17.

[edited grammar]

[edit on 8/10/07 by khunmoon]

new topics

top topics

join