It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Security Guard Shot At Texas Chemical Plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The FBI and Department of Homeland Security are investigating the shooting of a BASF chemical plant security guard in Freeport, Texas. The guard reports his assailant seemed to be of "middle eastern descent" and spoke with broken english. Freeport, Texas is near Houston, home of the SuperBowl in 8 days.

(First person account from ATS member)

I was watching the local NBC news station 'Channel 2' this morning and the 'Big Story' leading off the newscast concerned an incident that happened last night off of Farm
To Market Road 1495 in a very secluded location in Freeport, Texas which is just south of Houston.

A BASF chemical plant security guard noticed a newer model white Chevy van with black trim, (the kind common in fleets), with a missing front license plate, tinted windows, and double back doors, taking pictures of the Port of Freeport and the Amonia Plant located across the water.

When the man was questioned by the guard who is now recovering at the hospital, the man said he was taking pictures of the lights on the water. He spoke in broken English and that is when the guard discovered the man was possibly middle eastern according to his police interrogation.

The guard then called his dispatcher and discribed the incident after which he returned to the van and was promptly shot in the sholder and the van took off. The bullet went through but was found.

The mayor notified the FBI and Department of Homeland Security and they are investigating.

This happened late in the middle of the night but the web site of the local paper still hasn't picked up on it. This concerns me because as I'm sure you all know the Super Bowl is in 8 days. If any place is a good target for terrorism I would think it would be a very big amonia plant located just south of Houston and the stadium considering the wind commonly flows from the south to the north this time of year. We also have the Port of Houston and one of the largest oil refining complexs in the world all combined within a few miles of where the incident took place last night.

I think my local Government is down playing this latest threat to not scare off some of the million or so visitors my home town is expecting in the coming days who will obviously be spending big big bucks.

BTW, the stadium went on lock down this morning. Everything coming and going is checked. This was just part of the normal routine. Hopefully the Super Bowl will go off without a hitch. I only live a few miles up the road.

I'm going to work now and wanted to see what you all think.

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 26-1-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Thank you for this information.

I will ask some one to elevate this to an ATSNN news story.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Great screenname, and great local story. It definitely is not on the news here yet.

Please do keep us posted. One of the best aspects of this forum is getting lesser known or covered up news from around the world.

Good job.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Just spoke with a HESITANT-TO-COOPERATE dispatcher at the Freeport Police Department.

The chemical plant security guard being shot is confirmed...and that's all they're giving.

I was asked "Who is this?" And I replied, "Just a citizen in Oklahoma trying to confirm this because I can't find it anywhere on the news."

Then a very reticent "It was a security guard that was shot."

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
i find this to be quite interesting, thanks for posting it. These lines were fascinating....

" a newer model white Chevy van with black trim, (the kind common in fleets), with a missing front license plate, tinted windows, and double back doors"

" He spoke in broken English and that is when the guard discovered the man was possibly middle eastern according to his police interrogation"

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Just spoke with a HESITANT-TO-COOPERATE dispatcher at the Freeport Police Department.

The chemical plant security guard being shot is confirmed...and that's all they're giving.

I was asked "Who is this?" And I replied, "Just a citizen in Oklahoma trying to confirm this because I can't find it anywhere on the news."

Then a very reticent "It was a security guard that was shot."
[Edited on 24-1-2004 by Valhall]

Be bold. Say, I'm from ASTNN and the public has a right to know any details affecting their security. If nothing else, it'd be fun. Plus it's the truth!

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Here is a link to a story about the incident:

www.dfw.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I wonder if this would have anything to do with 02/02
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I tell you what, every time one of these things happens, and the authorities IMMEDIATELY say "there is no evidence of terrorism"...

they slip another notch on the old credibility stick as far I'm concerned.

There has been ABSOLUTELY insufficient time on this to say one way or the other...they insult our intelligence.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Houstonj Chronicle is also reporting on this story;
www.chron.com...

The guard told police the gunman had bushy hair and a mustache and was was driving a white pickup with tinted windows and a black stripe.

The suspect left after the shooting and did not get inside the plant. The guard had been patrolling the plant's perimeter, outside the gate and near a water tower, but in view of the plant's ammonia tank, officials said.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I am a County Deputy Sheriff two counties south (Calhoun) from BSAF but my parents live about 20 miles from there (still in Brazoria County). About 40 miles south of Freeport is the South Texas Nuclear Project. We recieved a teletype directing the dispatcher to broadcast the information every hour with the descriptions given. Kind of weird. In 12 years of expierence on the street as a cop I have NEVER seen or heard of a teletype having to be broadcast every hour. We were also trained that a terrorist that has an agenda will eliminate anyone in his way to complete his assigned task. Not saying this guy was a terrorist, probably a crackpot, but it really peaks my curosity

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I just hope that the assailant, in some ways, hasn't used this as a diversion to lead the intelligence agencies away from something else that may happen.

Great News Article

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by MrEisenhower]

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Val and I used to live about three or four miles form Freeport, heck they have a REAL easy golf course there I used to play with a buddy of mine...

I can ASSURE you all that place is one huge chemical dump just waiting to pop... When they light up all the frames surrounding the tanks and refineries it looks like city.

Additionally, I heard a report on 60 minutes a few weeks ago about the guy who travelled all over the U.S. and literally walked UNCHALLENGED into just about any chemical plant he wanted to. He had the video of his exploits to prove it.

What I get out of this story is apparently someone was listening to the above mentioned report and they have stepped up security around these type of facilities. GOOD!

Unfortunately be this a diversion or a recon mission the deed was evidently done. I, for one, hope this joker is nothing but a lunatic with penchant for lights on water photography...

PEACE...
m...

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
wow, this is a sobering bit of news. I had begun to feel safe again. There has not been much "terrorist" activity on american soil since 9/11. This just shows that the threat is very real and we need to be prepared for the worst. I fear that this was probobly not the only event to take place. It was just the only one that got caught. That, unfortunately, is a very scary thought...

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwscc
I am a County Deputy Sheriff two counties south (Calhoun) from BSAF but my parents live about 20 miles from there (still in Brazoria County). About 40 miles south of Freeport is the South Texas Nuclear Project. We recieved a teletype directing the dispatcher to broadcast the information every hour with the descriptions given. Kind of weird. In 12 years of expierence on the street as a cop I have NEVER seen or heard of a teletype having to be broadcast every hour. We were also trained that a terrorist that has an agenda will eliminate anyone in his way to complete his assigned task. Not saying this guy was a terrorist, probably a crackpot, but it really peaks my curosity

i dont understand the significance of the teletype description deal. what say you?

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for responding to the post concerning the incident at the plant.

I did notice the KPRC early newscast reported the guard initially said the man was behind the wheel of a �panal van� with double back doors, but the media now says it was a white Chevy pick up with the tail gate down. I think this is because they jumped the gun. It is understandable considering he had just been shot and maybe the reporter was too eager to post the story.

I think they, (the FBI and Mayor White) are worried about negative publicity at this time.

I hope that by me posting this here it made a difference. The local paper, www.chron.com didn't report it until much later in the day, over 12 hours after the shooting. I live in the forth largest city in the U.S. And we have only one newspaper. This seemed odd to me.

Again, thank you all for taking notice and spreading the word.

Long live ATS!

BTW, I hope this posted right.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
didnt a vid of osama come out not too long ago like it always does b4 and attack. also this has something big written all over it. And what a better place to get at teh country and at bush then in Texas

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut BTW, I hope this posted right.
Overall, I give you a score of 8.7! Thankfully, our ever-alert news staff saw your post, and put the gears in-motion to have your story upgraded to ATSNN, our news portal. www.atsnn.com... We're carried by Google News, and I did notice that they "hit" or "spidered" the story three times today. In the future, if you have more breaking news related to this, and deserving of a new story, rather than an update to this thread, use the submission form found in the member center: www.abovetopsecret.com... This will place your post immediately in the ATSNN news forum as a submission, and will likely give it even quicker attention. Thanks for your help.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Being a Texan I can only HOPE that your lucid observation is totally wrong... Texas is a wonderful place that is more a state of mind than a state... Not to mention the fact that there are more armed citizens per capita in Texas than just about anywhere else in the world with possible exception of Montana and Arizona...

I REALLY worry about the public reaction to a terrorist strike in the Lone Star State. I fear that the average citizen will most definately bring their weapons out and have a strong desire to shoot someone...

This could be a logistical and security NIGHTMARE for the folks responsible for cleaning up and deciphering what actually happened...

Heck, I have to admit I'd probably keep my Walther P-38 locked, loaded and close at hand my darn self!

What a world we live in huh?

PEACE...
m...

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   
i was a truck driver, i only ran haz-mat, i picked up loads from BASF in Freeport many times...bad stuff, last load a ran out of there had a flashpoint +/- 15 degrees of recommended temperature

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join