It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great lesson by a teacher, heard on radio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I heard this story yesterday on the radio and felt it was worth passing along,

Great lesson by a history teacher:

The class was having a discussion about democracy (populism) when the teacher picked up a purse of one of the students of the class.
The teacher removed all the cash from the wallet in the purse and waved it around to the students and then asked the students to take a vote on whether the money should be returned to the student it belonged to, or should it be distributed to the class equally?

The class voted to distribute the money!

The teacher turned to the student that the money belonged to in the first place and said' "How do you like your democracy now"

I think this is a great lesson on the danger of "mob" rule.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
That's cute, and accurate. Probably why every winning platform these days is built on "lower taxes".

Who was the "eat your spinich" candidate? Forbes? Some loser anyway.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Boy am I glad we live in a "Democratic Republic" and not a true "Democracy" ------------NOT KIDDING!

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Boy am I glad we live in a "Democratic Republic" and not a true "Democracy

Doesnt that just mean that someone else gets to decide whither you keep YOUR money?

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
That's cute, and accurate. Probably why every winning platform these days is built on "lower taxes".

Simple answers for simple minds, heh?

Look at what might very well be intelligent people on these boards - the most crucial decision facing this country coming up & their filter is shaped by 'tax cut' lies & 'he just seems weird with that hair'.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Boy am I glad we live in a "Democratic Republic" and not a true "Democracy

Doesnt that just mean that someone else gets to decide whither you keep YOUR money?

Kind of sort of. But that is the way the Liberals would have it! (as long as they get to decide)

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Kind of sort of. But that is the way the Liberals would have it! (as long as they get to decide)

I am of mixed feelings on this subject, too.

I have no problem sharing what I have with those less fortunate, I give to charites here on a local level and try to help out when I can, but I do have a problem with someone TAKING my money and giving it to someone else be they a welfare mother or a welfare CEO.

To me the only defference is the republicans want to give it to the rich.

Thats why I am a Libertarian, to me just about the ONLY true americans left, you know freedom and justice for all,

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have that same problem. But I also believe that there are some deserving "welfare" mothers.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time

Look at what might very well be intelligent people on these boards - the most crucial decision facing this country coming up & their filter is shaped by 'tax cut' lies & 'he just seems weird with that hair'.

Its the almost automatic reversion to name calling and labeling of people with a different opinion than yours that is severly simpleminded.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

But I also believe that there are some deserving "welfare" mothers.

Me too

As I said I have no problem helping others but I believe more in a hand up than a hand out.

I think the programs should be tailored more to helping someone stand on there own two feet than teaching them to be dependent on the government. Education is the key IMO.

And I dont believe in corperate welfare at all.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

But I also believe that there are some deserving "welfare" mothers.

Me too

As I said I have no problem helping others but I believe more in a hand up than a hand out.

I think the programs should be tailored more to helping someone stand on there own two feet than teaching them to be dependent on the government. Education is the key IMO.

And I dont believe in corperate welfare at all.

It seems as though we walk the middle ground together.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Its the almost automatic reversion to name calling and labeling of people with a different opinion than yours that is severly simpleminded.

No, it's called not suffering fools gladly. You've all been given enough rope to either become a cowboy or hang yourselves on Right Wing disillusionment in the face of facts to the contrary - you've chosen the latter.
Maybe wisdom will come with age & hindsight, though some of the older folks don't seem to have had that subscription's delivery started yet!

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

No, it's called not suffering fools gladly. You've all been given enough rope to either become a cowboy or hang yourselves on Right Wing disillusionment in the face of facts to the contrary - you've chosen the latter.
Maybe wisdom will come with age & hindsight, though some of the older folks don't seem to have had that subscription's delivery started yet!

All of the world's woes can not be cured by Liberal Social Programs...It will take the best of all parties involved to come up with a viable solution, no one person holds the answer.

(I got that from a fortune cookie last night at dinner, it seems appropriate though!)

[Edited on 1-24-2004 by krankinkx]

new topics

top topics

join