It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PreRevolutionary Latin secret society oath from Cambridge deciphered. Includes Harry Potter!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I am looking at examples of hidden in plain sight. They are just weird stories easily skimmed by. But when looked at with a different pair of glasses they show the mentality of a group that claims to be elite. They also have a Harry Potter reference!

I start with Edward Winslow (February 20 1746 or 1747 – May 13, 1815)
Winslow publicly put his support behind Massachusetts Governor Thomas Hutchinson and helped create "a company of Tories" in an effort to keep the peace. By 1774, Winslow was forced to flee Plymouth, and in April 1775, as a member of the British Army, he was involved in a bloody confrontation at Lexington against the Patriot militia
en.wikipedia.org...(loyalist)

A good article on him is here. This quote stuck out as odd.
www.lib.unb.ca...
You know I was born in a land of psalmody. For several years together there was nothing heard but old men and women bawling psalms and young men and maids screeching hymns. There was one old man who was a Teacher and Composer and I remember to have seen him in the very act of composition. He sat by a joint stool with a pen, ink and little book, and between his legs he held a half-grown kitten which he occasionally twigged by the tail or plucked by the ears. I ... asked what the devil he was about? With wonderful simplicity and gravity he answered that out of her squeeling he might possibly pick up a sound that would assist him in forming a tune.

While the teachings in the Church were bawling and screeching(peasant/zombie sounds). He watched a teacher finding the song or tune(song being the coordinated message sent out) from picking at a half grown kitten, or experimentation on us just animals used to refine the message.)
Other odd things in article.
The next example would be common in pre revolutionary America. I only point to the use of obscure Latin, mostly contained in text that supports philosophy of aristocricy. I also found the collision with pop culture quite odd. Especially considering this was the Title of some oath that was taken at colleges back then, or in secret fraternities today.

His bad behavior continued until he did the following
...returned to Cambridge for his second degree three years later he prepared the affirmative of "An in imperio justo, rex et subditi iisdem aequitatis legibus obligantur?"

(The right, or fairness) (power and sovereignty, to hold an office, or the right to order). (Ruler, king), (subdirector, or a section) (the same) (subject to law) (ethical rules of distribution or ownership),

Here is the question as posed after moving around noun and verb, for my guesses at linguistic differences of Latin
Is it (The right, or fairness) to be or hold (power and sovereignty, to hold an office, or the right to order) to be a (Ruler, king) in (the same) as in equal fashion the person swearing would be a (subset, or section) bound by (ethical rules of distribution or ownership)(subject to law), the law would be the one the order follows or believe in. Basically ethical rules of distribution as shown in definition of equity.

It is a question so I assume it is a request to agree to this terms. Personally I would not. I think the pop culture reference bellow says why. I believe in light and truth, not secret control and power.

My method of translation of this is formed below.

I will give the definitions of these words first from Harry Potter for fun.
www.answers.com...
parentingteens.about.com...

Imperio, or the Imperius Curse, is one of the Unforgivable Curses that witches and wizards must not use. It causes the victim to be completely under the control of the wizard that caste the spell. It is punishable by a lifetime sentence in Azkaban. (basically when the new recruit is forced to give this oath he loses his soul)

Using Spanish to English translation (Spanish being from Latin root) at dictionary.reverso.net... translations at catholic.archives.nd.edu...
using books.google.com...
I was able to finally get Latin translations. It seems online dictionaries are missing most of these words.

in Latin imperium -i n. [an order , a command; the right to order, power, mastery, command]; esp. [political power, authority, sovereignty]; 'in imperio esse', [to hold office]; meton. [empire], and in plur., [persons in authority].

in Spanish Justo fair or just

:Rex et: from the spanish site
revulsivo - 1)enema, revulsive. then a line that was quite funny. The bad election results were a salutary lesson for the left. (no kidding this result was funny so added it.)

In Latin rex
rex regis m. [ruler , king, prince, chief; monarch, tyrant].

In Latin et as adv. , [also, even]; as conj., [and; and indeed]; in narrative, [and then]; occasionally adversative, [and yet]; after alius, idem, par, [as or than]; repeated et....et...., [both....and...]; so -que....et....; nec (neque)....et, [not only not....but]

In latin subditi nothing in latin probably below-diti, could not find it out.
in spanish subditi subdirectorio, subdirectory.

iisdem same(plural form prounoun) or another name for.
best usage is here books.google.com...,M1

aequitatis equity, pertaining to ethics
rosetta stones used are here, no definitions online
books.google.com...
books.google.com...,M1
books.google.com...,M1
Equity defined here
www.google.com...

in Latin Legibus law

In Latin obligantur obliged or subject to.
Rosetta stone used
books.google.com...

I am sure some scholarly person out there can give the official meaning, and use of this term. And adjust my translation. I would be curious if I am close.

[edit on 7-10-2007 by Redge777]

[edit on 7-10-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Does anyone find the coincidence of Harry Potter and the oath interesting in a fun connect the unrelated dots way?

new topics

join