It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'll keep this short and to the point (or at least try to):

Have you ever wondered where the name "Hollywood" came from? Do they simply make up names of places of huge importance or significance? Or do they name it with reason?

A couple examples of naming a place with a purpose - an obvious one - Washington (D.C.). Or Houston (as in Sam Houston).

So did Hollywood just come out of nowhere? Or is there meaning to it?

Well, split up the word. Holly Wood.

Holly is a tree. Obviously there is wood on a tree.

The Holly tree (Ilex aquifolium) as a symbol of goodwill, peace, health and happiness is one of the sacred trees of Wicca/Witchcraft, but its most common association is as a Christmas seasonal decoration.

source

So the Holly tree is a symbol of goodwill, peace, health and happiness.

Could that be the reason for the name? Or could it be something else?

Well, we hardly associate goodwill, peace, health and happiness with the Hollywood as we know it. So how about this?

In ritual uses, Holly is associated with the death and rebirth symbolism of winter. Holly also symbolizes holiness, consecration, material gain, physical revenge, beauty, and immortality, as well as peace, goodwill and health. It can be used ritually to aid and help with a person’s ability to cope with death, and to ease their sleep with peaceful dreams.

source

Death? Material gain? Physical revenge? Beauty? Coping with death or ease their sleep?

We often associate "sleep" with being blind, here in the conspiracy world. You know, "WAKE UP!"

Hollywood does keep people ignorant, does it not? It does basically blind the masses, or keep them "asleep", does it not? Hollywood is definitely associated with greed, or material gain, and beauty.

So, could Hollywood have been given it's name because the fame, the movies, the celebrities give the masses a fabricated view of reality, keep them ignorant, keep them "asleep", and possibly, by being so blind and ignorant to truthful reality, ease their death, or downfall, based on the rituals and symbolism behind the wood of a Holly tree?

Or could Hollywood be a completely random name?

I know, I know. Rituals, magic, folklore, it's all stupid (which is why I put this in Skunk Works). I don't believe in it either. But the point is - there's symbolism here. And if you've studied the "Illuminati" or "NWO" or what ever you prefer to call "them", then you know they like to leave their mark in a symbolic way.

So - you be the judge.

What do you think?

EDIT: to add sources

[edit on 10/6/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

KTK

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see what the official reason for the name is and who named it. Is there a historical society you could find that out from? I have never come across Hollywood being anyones last name so I doubt thats how it was named.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by KTK

People associated with the name "Hollywood":

Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson (football player)
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Hollywood Fats, a blues guitarist
Matt Hollywood, indie rock guitarist and bassist
Matt Hollywood (magician), Australian comedian and illusionist
Jesse James Hollywood - alleged kidnapper and murderer

source

That may not be a complete list. It's Wikipedia.

But, as far as that list goes, nobody I'd really name a town/city after. Not to mention those people were born after it was named Hollywood.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
H.J. Whitley supposedly coined the name Hollywood.

He was a land developer. One of the most successful at the time.

He had ties to Teddy Roosevelt, according to the Wikipedia article, as well as some powerful men.

President and Vice President of some banks.

So, he had connections and was, apparently, a very wealthy man.

Perhaps that adds a little more to this?

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Don't know if it helps, but...

In 1886, H. H. Wilcox bought an area of Rancho La Brea that his wife then christened "Hollywood."

And.....

A locally popular etymology is that the name Hollywood traces to the ample stands of native Toyon, or "California Holly," that cover the hillsides with clusters of bright red berries each winter. But this, and accounts of the name coming from imported English holly then growing in the area, is not confirmed.

The name Hollywood was coined by H. J. Whitley, the Father of Hollywood. He and his wife Gigi came up with the name while on their honeymoon (from Margaret Virginia Whitley's memoir).

Another story refer the name to Harvey Wilcox who bought land in the area for development of homes. His wife Daeida met a women on a train who mentioned that she had named her Ohio summer home to Hollywood. Daeide who liked the name gave it to their new development.

The name first appear on the Wilcox's map of the subdivision, filed to the county recorder on February 1, 1887.

From Wikipedia

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by keymaster

Hmm..

So was it Whitley or Wilcox? If I'm understanding it correctly - both are being given basically the same credit as naming the area Hollywood. Both close to the same time too.

Interesting

KTK

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
From HJs wiki entry en.wikipedia.org...

He and his wife Gigi coined the name Hollywood while on their honeymoon in 1886. HJ was instrumental in motivating the movie industry to move to his new town of Hollywood.

I think you may have come across something just from the conflicting histories. You would think somewhere so famous would have a definate and proud history.

Hopefully a few ats researchers might be able to clear it up

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I know the sign used to read "Hollywoodland" way back in the day...Speaking of, Im going to Hollywood tonight:-)

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Steff

That's true it did use to be Hollywoodland. I'm in Hollywood right now.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'll see you at the Strip:-)

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Nope! That was last night. Tonight I'm home with the boy and moderating till I fall asleep and the keyboard. Have fun though.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Holly Wood was used by the Druids in fabrication of ther... Magic wands!

Ah, and what types of spells were cast from Holly Wood wands?

Spells having to do with sleep or rest!

It is also sometimes called Tensiltown:

1. glittering material: a thin strip of glittering metal foil, paper, or plastic, used for decoration

2. something showy: something worthless that appears glamorous

So yes, hollywood does keep people under the spell of sleep and rest of the mind - otherwise known as ignorance.

It is also remarkable that most major movie studios are headed by Jews. Perhaps they have Zionist affiliations, and Hollywood is one of their tools - such as the church - to keep the masses, shall I say - Brainwashed?

Subtle clues abound.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
“Merlin and the old magicians of Celtic England always used their magic wands, and these magic wands were always made out of holly wood. And that's why today we still have Holly-wood, working its "magic" on us — showing us in movies how to view things, what we should think, or just offering us a big box office diversion.” –Jordan Maxwell, Matrix of Power

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by benign.psychosis
Holly Wood was used by the Druids in fabrication of ther... Magic wands!

Ah, and what types of spells were cast from Holly Wood wands?

Spells having to do with sleep or rest!

It is also sometimes called Tensiltown:

1. glittering material: a thin strip of glittering metal foil, paper, or plastic, used for decoration

2. something showy: something worthless that appears glamorous

So yes, hollywood does keep people under the spell of sleep and rest of the mind - otherwise known as ignorance.

It is also remarkable that most major movie studios are headed by Jews. Perhaps they have Zionist affiliations, and Hollywood is one of their tools - such as the church - to keep the masses, shall I say - Brainwashed?

Subtle clues abound.

You are quite right about the Druids and the wand/wood/stick of the Holly tree but you're wrong about the Jews owning the media. That is a carefully laid trap. It's not the Jews.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by freight tomsen

Interesting quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks there may be something to the name Hollywood.

I don't think it's a crime or a "conspiracy" (in the popular sense) to name a town such a thing, but I think it's evident of symbolism, if indeed that is the reason why it was named Hollywood.

Nice find

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

You are quite right about the Druids and the wand/wood/stick of the Holly tree but you're wrong about the Jews owning the media. That is a carefully laid trap. It's not the Jews.

Oh really? So how to you explain this?

MORTIMER ZUCKERMAN, owner of NY Daily News, US News & World Report

LESLIE MOONVES, president of CBS television

JONATHAN MILLER, CEO of AOL division of AOL-Time-Warner

NEIL SHAPIRO, president of NBC News

JEFF GASPIN, Executive Vice-President, Programming, NBC

DAVID WESTIN, president of ABC News

SUMNER REDSTONE, CEO of Viacom, owns Viacom cable, CBS and MTVs all over the world, Blockbuster video rentals and Black Entertainment TV.

MICHAEL EISNER, major owner of Walt Disney, Capitol Cities, ABC.

RUPERT MURDOCH, Owner Fox TV, New York Post, London Times,

MEL KARMAZIN, president of CBS

DON HEWITT, Exec. Director, 60 Minutes, CBS

JEFF FAGER, Exec. Director, 60 Minutes II. CBS

DAVID POLTRACK, Executive Vice-President, Research and Planning, CBS

SANDY KRUSHOW, Chair, Fox Entertainment

LLOYD BRAUN, Chair, ABC Entertainment

BARRY MEYER, chair, Warner Bros.

SHERRY LANSING. President of Paramount Communications and Chairman of Paramount Pictures' Motion Picture Group.

HARVEY WEINSTEIN, CEO. Miramax Films.

BRAD SIEGEL., President, Turner Entertainment.

PETER CHERNIN, second in-command at Rupert Murdoch's News. Corp., owner of Fox TV

ARTHUR O. SULZBERGER, JR., publisher of the NY Times, the Boston Globe and other publications.

BARRY DILLER, chair of USA Interactive, former owner of Universal Entertainment

JEFFREY ZUCKER, President of NBC Entertainment

SANDY GRUSHOW, chair of Fox Entertainment

GAIL BERMAN, president of Fox Entertainment

STEPHEN SPIELBERG, co-owner of Dreamworks

JEFFREY KATZENBERG, co-owner of Dreamworks

DAVID GEFFEN, co-owner of Dreamworks

LLYOD BRAUN, chair of ABC Entertainment

JORDAN LEVIN, president of Warner Bros. Entertainment

MAX MUTCHNICK, co-executive producer of NBC's "Good Morning Miami"

DAVID KOHAN, co-executive producer of NBC's "Good Morning Miami"

HOWARD STRINGER, chief of Sony Corp. of America

AMY PASCAL, chair of Columbia Pictures

JOEL KLEIN, chair and CEO of Bertelsmann's American operations

ROBERT SILLERMAN, founder of Clear Channel Communications

BRIAN GRADEN, president of MTV entertainment

IVAN SEIDENBERG, CEO of Verizon Communications

WOLF BLITZER, host of CNN's Late Edition

LARRY KING, host of Larry King Live

TED KOPPEL, host of ABC's Nightline

ANDREA KOPPEL, CNN Reporter

PAULA ZAHN, CNN Host

MIKE WALLACE, Host of CBS, 60 Minutes

BARBARA WALTERS, Host, ABC's 20-20

DONALD GRAHAM, Chair and CEO of Newsweek and Washington Post

CATHERINE GRAHAM MEYER, former owner of the Washington Post

ANDREW LACK, president of NBC

RALPH J. & BRIAN ROBERTS, Owners, Comcast-ATT Cable TV.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
H J Whitley is my great-grandfather. He and his wife Gigi named Hollywood on their honey moon. The event is recorded in Gigi's memoirs. The Wilcox's learned the name from Ivar Weid their neighbor. Liking the name they recorded it on one of their property's deed. A book published in 1936 gave the wrong information about the naming of Hollywood and has caused much confusion on this issue. To learn more about the true naming of Hollywood visit www.TheFatherOfHollywood.com.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

When did you first hear about this?

Where you listening to Jordan Maxwell? And the research followed up on that?

I always enjoy this topic.. So once I hear back from you, I will follow up on some of my occult knowledge.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Being born and raised in Hollywood I'll tell you the names history. When the original white explorers were going through the Los Angeles area they had to get from the San Fernando valley over the cahuenga pass to the Los Angeles basin they ran into some foothills on the southern side of the pass. The foothills were covered in holly which was prickly and quite annoying making the travel a real pain. In honor of all the holly they felt with they called the area Hollywood land. A real estate company built a huge sigh saying Hollywood land on the side of a mountain to try and attract people. A landslide took out the part that said land. They left the sigh up and simply started calling the area Hollywood and its stuck ever since.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think the nick name tinsiltown is more a reference on how tinsiltown glitters and is shiny but ultimately cheap and fake. Most locals call Hollywood hollyweird. Due to the freaks you meet walking the city's fine avenues and streets.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join