It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SSSC "Darkness Hold Me"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
DARKNESS HOLD ME

" In the real world,as in dreams,nothing is really what it seems."
Dean Koontz- The Book of Counted Sorrows

Running again.So tired,so out of breath. They are coming.In the moonlight he can see figures,behind the branches,just in the corner of his eye.He turns fully around,and sees nothing.Just trees,branches scraping against one another,leaves falling all around from the chilly autumn wind.He knows they are there.Watching him.Waiting.He wants to move,but fear is a paralyzing force.Where to go...? He looks around.No lights,no signs of civilization.Just dense forest...and them, wherever they are.Dark shadows stalking him like prey.
Heart pounding,chest heaving with every breath,it takes all his willpower to make his legs move, to anywhere,away,where they cannot get him.
But it starts again.The whispers,the voices like dialing through radio stations,barely audible at first,so many of them garbled inside his head.He covers his ears in a feeble attempt to block them out,even though he knows it did not work before,and it will not work now.
"LEAVE ME ALONE!" he screams in vain at the phantoms. "What do you want from me? PLEASE, JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!"
Running again, he stumbles and falls.Pain shooting through his wrist.The voices are louder now...too loud...screaming inside his head....

Jay sits bolt upright in bed,shaking,clutching his wrist.Emily staring at him.
"Another nightmare baby?" she asks sleepily,yet concerned.
"God, my wrist feels like it's sprained!" He is inconsolable.Tears running down his face,and sweat pouring off his entire body.The remnant of fear.
She leads him to the bathroom and using a washcloth and cold water,wipes his face and neck.So cooling,so soothing,breathing calmer now.His wrist was still throbbing.
"They were chasing me again...and I fell..in my dream...why does it hurt for real?"He was getting worked up again.Trying to rationalize what just happened and what was still happening.
"Calm down Jay,just a nightmare OK?You must have hit your wrist on the nightstand or something.Please just calm down." Emily was trying to comfort him,but her concern was growing." I'll go make us some breakfast."

He could tell that she was almost as scared as he was,but she would not show it.That was not her way.His Emily,the strongest woman he had ever met.That is why he fell for her in the first place.She always seemed to be his rock.All he could do was listen to her, and try to believe.But so vivid...so terrifying.How could that just be a dream? And why again,three nights in a row.But so much more detail this time.
Too much stress perhaps?Full time university,part-time job + girlfriend=stress.Grabbing some Tylenol from the cabinet,he took a deep breath and headed to the kitchen for a glass of water.It was then that he noticed the mud,the grass,the moss stuck between his toes.

Stepping back,he returned the pills to the cabinet,and turned on the shower.Hot steam quickly filling the room like a sauna.
Looking down at his feet in the shower,watching the bits of green plants,and brown sand wash down the drain...he began shaking again.There has to be a rational explanation for this.He was thinking out loud,while a dozen thoughts ran through his mind.
Was it possible that he was sleepwalking and having a nightmare at the same time?He had not heard of such a thing.But it could be possible....couldn't it?My God,it had to be.But he had never been a sleepwalker or had dreams like that in his life.Ever.However it did seem like the most logical explanation.He decided that to calm his nerves,it would be best to just accept that indeed,he had been sleepwalking while dreaming . He also decided it was best not to tell Emily, just yet. He promised himself to do some research later.Of course the biggest questions still remained in his mind.Where did I go and how did I get back in bed?

Stepping out of the shower,he felt much better.Still tired though.He felt as if these last three nights he had not slept at all.His image in the mirror confirmed as such.Dark circles under bloodshot eyes.Good thing he didn't have classes today,or theprofessors may think he had been partying all night.His wrist was still tender.So he grabbed the bottle of Tylenol again,put on his robe,and went downstairs.

The enticing aroma of fresh brewed coffee reached his nose as he hit the bottom step.Emily was making toast.
"Better now honey?" She smiled at him with thatplayful little smile that always made his heart skip a beat.
"Yeah, I'm OK."He sounded more like he was trying to convince himself rather than her.
"I'm so glad."She gave him a hug,then went about finishing breakfast for the two of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No classes today,but he still had to work.He hated his job.....but bills had to be paid.Everyday he told himself he would look for something better.But he never did.
Stepping outside,the day was gray and overcast.Perhaps the wind was blowing in a little drizzle too.Just the type of day to suit his mood.The restaurant was a 20 minute walk from home,and so he began as always,his trek towards the job from hell.Being a dishwasher sucks..big time.
There were very few people on the street. Probably due to the weather,and preparing for parties tonight.Emily so had her heart set on this party tonight. It had been awhile since they had gone out and had fun.Too much to do between work and school and no time for anything else.Perhaps they would have a good time tonight,and he would forget about his bad dreams.

Work went slowly as always.The day drags on and minutes seem like hours.Jay felt exhausted and not sure if he would have the energy to dress up and go out tonight.But he would anyway...for Emily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emily paraded into the bedroom giggling....
"Don't you just love it?"she questioned Jay about her costume,a sexy black cat.
"Baby,you know I'd love you in anything."he wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her gently.She pushed him away.
"C'mon,you aren't even dressed yet and we are going to be late!"
He sighed loudly.So tired.Damn nightmares.

Completely ridiculous.That is how he felt in this outfit.Thinking with the tired look on his face a zombie costume would have been more appropriate.Oh well.It's just for one night.He could deal with that.Besides he was sure he was not the only one who would be feeling silly.He was wearing the camo pants and jacket that Emily had bought from the Army surplus store.He would have loved the combat boots to complete the outfit,but they were much to expensive.
Emily called up from the bottom of the stairs,
"C'mon Jay,we gotta go now,or we will miss the bus!"
Taking one last glance in the mirror,he trudged downstairs to join Emily who was already halfway out the door.

Monster Mash could be heard blaring halfway up the street,as well as shouts and laughter.
"Sounds like they got started early."Jay mused to Emily.
"You know these guys," Emily laughed while she spoke" They have probably been drinking since noon."
They walked up the lawn amidst many people,some they recognized,some not.All were in costume.
Kicking a couple of beer cans away from the door,they stepped inside.The music was so loud that Jay could barely hear Emily speaking to him and pointing to the kitchen.They made their way through the crowd,waving and sending greetings to a few people on the way.
In the kitchen were their closest friends.Paula and Rob,the hosts of the party.And Lynn and Kevin, good friends since high school and had been a couple for as long as Jay could remember.
At least they could hear each other speak in here.Jay walked over to the fridge and pulled out two bottles of beer for himself and Emily.
The evening went well.Jay felt himself relax.Enjoying the atmoshere, the numbing of the alcohol,and the company of friends.He was laughing and having a great time.Even forgetting the thoughts that plagued him earlier in the day.
Apparently,they were enjoying themselves too much.Looking at the clock,they realized they had just missed the last bus.Emily suggested they call a taxi,but Jay reminded her that with the rent due in two days,a $ 30. fare was not in the budget.Looking around at the passed out bodies all over the house made staying an unlikely option.
"Hey,why don't you guys crash at our place? It's quite a walk by the streets, but we know a shortcut through the bush."
Jay and Emily looked at one another,and nodded in agreement.

Outside the crowd had dispersed somewhat,leaving the front lawn a mess of beer cans bottles,pizza boxes,and cigarette packages.Jay made a mental note to come over the next day to help with the clean up.
A light fog had settled all around,and the moon though not full helped to illuminate the dimly lit street.Many homes were decorated for trick or treaters the following night.Bales of hay,pumpkins,and corn stalks were everywhere.As if on cue they heard the shriek of a bat and watched it fly past.No other sound could be heard but their footsteps.Emily shivered in her skimpy costume,so Jay removed his jacket and placed it around her,wrapping his arm around her shoulders as well.She placed her head against his arm,and he smiled as they continued towards the dead end of the street.

***Part two next post.

[edit on 6-10-2007 by AccessDenied]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Stretched out before them just beyond the "DEAD END" sign- was a thick wooded area.Completely dark.Jay stopped dead in his tracks.His smile completely gone and replaced with a look of sheer panic.
Emily sensing his apprehension,grabbed his hand,pulling gently,as Lynn and Kevin walked on.
"C'mon" Emily coaxed him."It's just a short ways through the trees and then a few houses down and we are there."Jay had not been to Lynn and Kevin's new place.Only Emily had.
"You have been this way before?"His voice was shaky,and his mouth was getting dry.Beads of perspiration were forming on his brow.His palms were getting clammy,and he could feel the hair on the back of his neck begin to bristle.
"Yes," she urged, "It's fine really. I have been through here with Lynn before.There is nothing to worry about.Come on..I'll race you."
"EMILY!" Before he could protest any further,she dashed away.Lynn and Kevin seized the moment as well and began to run too.Soon all three had disappeared into the trees,while Jay just stood at the treeline.
"EMILY" he called loudly.
"Jay, this way!" He heard her voice far inside the bush.He took a deep breath and his first step inside.

Almost immediately the intense fear of the surroundings gripped him tightly.He felt like he was choking.Looking around for any sign of his friends,he saw nothing, heard nothing.How far ahead could they have gotten?Faintly in the moonlight he could make out the shapes of the trees, the branches, so thick to be almost impenetrable in places.He looked for an opening through them,and willed himself to move forward.
Not far now, he thought. It can't be that far now.He stopped to look around again.Where is everyone?Where is the street? I thought this was a shortcut.
A blur ,moving past him to the left,caught his eye.Then the same to the right.He spun around to see nothing behind him. His skin raised with goosebumps.He saw nothing,yet he felt something.I am being watched, he thought. He was rapidly becoming terrified.Thoughts of his dreams came flooding back.All the terror ,all the fear, washing over him all over again.At the same instant,
NO! It could not be! The Voices.Whispering inside his head.Too many to even tell if they were speaking english or even trying to communicate.
NO! NO! NO! THIS CAN"T BE REAL!!!

He started to run forward,just forward.Hopefully in the direction of Emily.
The voices, louder now,making him run faster.The sound of his feet hitting the ground,pushing branches out of the way,his breath gasping and his heart beating so hard so fast,all could not drown out the voices.
He cupped his hands over his ears and fell to the forest floor.So cold, so damp.The smell of fertile earth and moss.
His wrist began to throb again, with excruciating pain.Jay tried to get up,pushing himself up off the ground with his one free hand,wincing at the effort.
The voices had ceased,just as instantaneously as they had started.All was silent.Not even the wind it seemed wanted to be here,as the leaves hung listlessly waiting for a breeze to blow them away.
Movement.A shadow.A blur. Not one.Not two.Many.A dozen perhaps.Dark shadows wisping like fog around the trees.
Jay was frozen.Could not move.Could not speak.Could not cry out for Emily.Could not even cry.
He watched them move about each other as if in a dance.Around him,then away.Coming together,and then separating again.They all moved closer,creating a circle around him, and blending,joining, becoming one all about him.The darkness blocking out all else. No moon,no fog, no trees. Nothing but black.
He surrendered to the cold that enveloped him like an icy wave, from head to toe,all at once.And oddly it was comforting,and his fear was dissolved.The cold became warm,and in the darkness a glimmer of light.
Jay all at once became everything and yet nothing.One with the dark,as it caressed and held him ever so lovingly.

Emily,surveying the bush from the street,patiently waiting,saw a faint flicker of light,quickly extinguished by a shadow,that vanished amongst the branches.

*** Although my story above is obviously a work of fiction.I was inspired by a true story.
( Content below from external source)

Missing Person / Homicide - Jake Nicholas Just
The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the disappearance and/or death of JAKE NICHOLAS JUST of MIDLAND, Ontario.

On October 30, 1998, Jake JUST, aged 18 years, attended a party at a residence in the north end of the Town of MIDLAND. He was last seen walking home from the party then separating from his friends to take a short cut through a wooded area. An extensive search of the area turned up negative.

DESCRIPTION
DOB: December 15, 1979
HEIGHT: 6’2”
WEIGHT 170 lbs.
HAIR: Blonde
EYES: Green
RACE: Caucasian
CLOTHING: Last seen waring an olive green and beige coloured long sleeveT-shirt, black D.V.S. running shoes, size 11, and carrying a black knapsack, brand name “Jaguar”.

CASE#: 955-10-122-99

The Ontario Provincial Police urge anyone with information regarding the person(s) responsible for the disappearance and/or death of JAKE NICHOLAS JUST to communicate immediately with the Director of the Criminal Investigation Branch, Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, their nearest Police Agency or Crimestoppers.

Visit this link for a picture of Jake.
www.police.midland.on.ca...

Thank you to all who take the time to read this story.
AccessDenied.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I love the way you use certain words to your advantage and how this was all based on an actual event that took place up North . The 18 year old character reminds me of myself , but hopefully my life won't be converted into a story
. You've gotta gift in storytelling that I can only wish to have , you're talented and I'm honored to have ya on board the Avengers Squad , we've got another talented writer on the squad but I can't compare the 2 of you . I've read Mr.Z5's story but your story is much more realistic and could happen in "this world" , can't wait to see the next part to this "horror classic " .

[edit on 6-10-2007 by steve-o]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
ohh that was good AD
The voices and the sheer terror he must have been going threw, you got across in a very good way
You make a great storyteller my friend

Edit- Thanks steveo! Yeah I can see how you could be her fan! I am a fan aswell
Even tho we are going head to head here, I still had to give you a star!! Well written!

[edit on 6-10-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

You're a great writer as well bro , but I've been a fan of AD's work for a while
, the 2 of you are gifted !!!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
As Harry Carey once said..

"HOLY COW " !!!

I'm truly in awe, my dear.

Many more to come, I hope.

Lex

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lexion

So I can breathe now.Working on number 2. Have to make it better than #1. My damn perfectionist nature.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
No. 2 is always better.

>wink<

Lex

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Lexion

We will just see about that won't we Vanguard?

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wow, ecxellently written and gripping. It catches you right from the start great story AD.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Excellent story AD. I loved how you infused it with fear from the start then drew the reader back into the comfort zone through the middle then sucker punched me with the fear again right at the end.
Tough competition, im gonna have to raise my game.

Well done my little vamp.

mojo.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Aw Mojo, my sweet little monkey...thank you.If you only knew how I stressed out over it.And literally threw myself into it.Going into the bush in the Dark , just to get a feel for it. Damn straight it's scary as hell when you are alone.I have to make number 2 even better. Working on that now.
I believe you can be good competition for me buddy. Let the creativity flow.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Oh AD I applaud and commend you for taking such an important issue and writing this short story around it. It must have been quite the experience for you. Thankyou for a beautiful piece, I am sorry that it was based on a true story. He was gorgeous.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thank you Antar.I'm sure people may think that I knew him personally, but I did not.However I lived near the area he disappeared,and having seen the wooded area,I can tell you...It is definitely a mystery how he vanished without a trace.His story has haunted me for years,and I always speculated as to what could have happened to him,and always wanted to write about it.I just needed a reason to.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
um..yeah...i read this at night...and um...mummy

I'm afraid to go to bed now

sweet story, really good, cant wait till №2

Roswell.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by roswell1

Thanx Roswell...sorry if it gave you nightmares...Want my teddy bear?
J/K...

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Feral Rage

Many thanks. I like a story that catches you right from the get go.
Working on number 2.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
excellent work AD, i was just about to start reading the stephen king novel i'm into right now but this sucked me in..

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Many thanks Phantom...thats the way I like them best...and If my story sucked you in Better than a Stephen King novel....then wow...I must be on the right track.....

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Great story!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join