It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mirrors: the best defence against asteroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Mirrors: the best defence against asteroids

www.timesonline.co.uk

A swarm of mirrors flying in formation in space are the best defence against an asteroid hitting Earth, a study has concluded.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Then well probably get all the aliens combing their hair whilst looking in the mirrors.

Nice idea though I cant see it happening

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
"A swarm of mirrors flying in formation in space are the best defence against an asteroid hitting Earth, a study has concluded. "

That made me laugh for some odd reason, just so strait forward, if we put mirrors in space, we're all safe.

I don't see it happening. Seems silly in it's own way, but who knows?Humans can get desperate in times of fear.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   
When they said this:

Mirrors in space, or “solar concentrators”, would direct the sun’s rays against a threatening asteroid to heat the surface sufficiently that it turned to gas. They would be aimed against a small area of the rock, no more than 1.5 metres across, to generate temperatures of at least 2,100C (3,812F).

The evaporating gases would shoot into space, creating the thrust needed to divert the asteroid and prevent a deadly impact.

they left out one major detail: They have no idea where the outgassing would be directed at. The gases could shoot back towards the mirrors and blow them apart, or at the very least knock them out of alignment, preventing them from heating up the asteroid any more, in which case the asteroid wouldn't get very far.

In theory it sounds like a good idea, but in actuality it's quite absurd.

[edit on 10/6/2007 by pjslug]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The mirrors would most certainly not be close enough for that to happen.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

What if the outgassing shot a piece like a bullet towards the mirror? There goes several million dollars...

I like the "attaching a solar sail" idea better...

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Light travels far faster. There is no way the mirrors would be damaged.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Touché.

Still, the whole premise relies on the ability to detect these NEO asteroids in advanced. Most of them are in hidden in the dark...

Maybe the mirrors can be used to light up some of the darker areas? Or not...

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Touché.

Still, the whole premise relies on the ability to detect these NEO asteroids in advanced. Most of them are in hidden in the dark...

Yep that was my first thought. Also read somewhere "It isnt the ones we know about that are the problem, its the ones we dont know about"

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Very much so the ones we don't know about.

Good information, impact.arc.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join