It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Pepper Sprays, Punches, Nearly Breaks Girl's Arm During Curfew Arrest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

You don't have a lot of practical experience, do you? If you can't stand, ie: leverage, you can't do much.

Remember that one video about that kid getting tased? He manage to keep his hands away from being handcuffed while laying on his stomach and having 5 people on him.

apc

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime
If we punch kids this is what happens.Two way street.

Punching, kicking, twisting and sometimes breaking of arms are all valid and normal distraction techniques to gain positive control of someone who is resisting arrest.

Not every cop is an expert in wrestling and take-down technique as seems Intrepid. Perhaps he could go around lecturing to police departments? Maybe even bring along a powerpoint presentation?

Although this is indeed propaganda. How do garbage sites like prisonplanet even qualify as news?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The officer handled that very well, especially considering she bit him. I have lived in that area for a short time, and it’s a very high crime area, a lot of drugs, gangs, and prostitution for such a small city. The occurrence of HIV in the Stuart, Fort Pierce, and Port St Lucy area is so high that there was an actual study done on the topic.

If PrisonPlanet does not stop posting up every incident were a person resists arrest and some force has to be used as an abuse of force, then you can pretty much guarantee that they will lose credibility in the eyes of those with some common sense.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHumana

Thanks for the explanation

On topic: is it just me or do her eyes (pre-pepperspray) look wild? And no I'm not suggesting shapeshifting fantasies... just substance abuse.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Not every cop is an expert in wrestling and take-down technique as seems Intrepid. Perhaps he could go around lecturing to police departments? Maybe even bring along a powerpoint presentation?

They aren't? I thought that was their job. Maybe they should be trained properly as opposed to using mace, tasers. Are cops getting soft?

Although this is indeed propaganda. How do garbage sites like prisonplanet even qualify as news?

I totally agree with this. This is just a propaganda piece.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Yea she definitely looked to be on something, in appearance and behavior.
The cop should goto work tomorrow as his regular shift, he did it by the book.

I like how he maintained the camera shot, if he didnt, chances are a person in that situation could claim anything, rape, abuse etc etc etc.

[edit on 10/5/2007 by greatlakes]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Did you say Shapeshifting Reptilians?!!!!!

I dont understand how the footage got leaked? Do police departments have to release these tapes? I would think they would try to cover these tapes or claim they did not record, or all the other excuses used.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

They aren't? I thought that was their job. Maybe they should be trained properly as opposed to using mace, tasers. Are cops getting soft?

The officers other option was to apply further force to the arm lock he had on her left arm. Using a small squirt of pepper spray in this instance, to shock her into relaxing enough to allow him to pull her arm in position, was an appropriate measure of force for the situation. It would have been more lastingly harmful for him to press the arm lock further, which could have broken her arm or damaged tendons.

So what would you have preferred the officer do? Maybe the answer is that there are some folk out there who think that no one should ever be arrested for anything?

[edit on 10/5/2007 by defcon5]

apc

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I agree completely with the taser viewpoint and that they seem to be undercooked.

They are trained on how to drop someone to the ground, but that doesn't do much when someone has their arms clutched against their chest. This is how many people get their arms broken during an arrest, and they deserve it.

It was also clear he wanted to keep her on the hood and in frame. It looks like he knows what's been going on lately and wanted every second documented.

>
reply to post by dntwastetime

Press can request the tapes and often do when they learn of an incident. The police are usually more than happy to provide them.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by apc]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I remember that one big black guy beat the crap out of 3 police officers with batons. Don't know if martial arts would help. He just went charging and punching them.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
First, she should know better. I've lived in Florida my whole life,
I knew when I was out past curfew, and I would do my best
to get my butt off the streets asap.

Second, why didn't she just cooperate? There were some nights
I didn't make it home in time, but being courteous to officers sure
helped me avoid some nasty situations.

How about being nice?
That goes for both sides, officers and citizens.
They all might want to give it a try.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
I remember that one big black guy beat the crap out of 3 police officers with batons. Don't know if martial arts would help. He just went charging and punching them.

I know what you're saying but how does it apply in this case?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I know what you're saying but how does it apply in this case?

Just don't expect martial arts techniques to work in the streets the way it suppose to. Dealing with diverse people.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Notice the cop looking at the camera? Gotta make sure this is on camera. He says, "I'll use force Ma'am" like he wasn't already?

I take it as the effect of all the recent police incidents seen everywhere, tv, internet etc.

I think he was making sure that the tape would show all of the warnings he had given this girl.

Just think how bad it would look if this officer, instead of pepper spraying her.

Put her in a submission situation, knee in the back, then taking the girl down to the pavement.

This would have looked and been much worse than utilizing the pepper spray which is issued to officers to use in cases like this. Not to mention the possibility of the girl getting injured.

Officers around the country are probably being briefed to:

Make absolutely sure that when you are put into a situation where you use mace, try your best to get the whole thing on tape, to protect yourself from erroneous persecution.

From the likes of those at P-Planet..

I respect your opinion Intrepid, I just wanted to share mine...

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It is really disturbing to me to see that almost all the posts so far in this thread basically absolve the officer of his actions because "she didn't comply".

Are you people seeing a pattern in all of the police abuse videos that have been surfacing lately? In every case, the person was completely innocent of any crime, and yet they are being jumped on by a cop. In an instant they have a man wrestling them down and attempting to pin their arms behind their backs.

The government wants you to be sheep, they want you to simply comply with whatever orders a police officer gives you. Have you stopped for one moment and thought about what your reaction would be if you were suddenly, violently, detained by a cop when you have done nothing wrong? It is an instinctual response to fight back, which is what this girl is doing. She is resisting the officer because she hasn't done anything wrong.

When you find yourself in this position, feel free to follow all the orders the cop gives you. It may shock you to find out that even when you do this they are going to be unnecessarily rough with you, and they will definitely put you in an extremely painful armlock whether you are resisiting or not. And if you think you live in a system where there are checks and balances against abusive action by the police, keep on believing that! Go ahead and try to file a complaint against an officer for his behaviour towards you, say if he is extremely abusive during a traffic stop. You think the system cares?

I think it is time to re-visit the Washington state videos where people were dragged out of their cars and beaten for 'carrying subversive literature'. And by 'subversive literature', I mean pamphlets concerning constitutional rights and the rights of a citizen when it comes to unlawful search and seizure, etc. I won't waste my time posting the mantra about those who give up their freedom for security, obviously it is lost on most people and too late for them to understand it.

apc

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiBosh
She is resisting the officer because she hasn't done anything wrong.

You don't know that, but it doesn't matter. The officer was arresting her and she resisted. That does and has always warranted a progressively escalating level of force, short of threatening the suspect's life.

You think the system cares?

I've been arrested several times. I've never resisted and was never dealt with harshly. They will be complete asses with you until the arrest is made, but once you know there's no way out of it, just relax. They'll appreciate it and go easy on you. If you give them a hard time, they'll throw it back at you five fold.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by apc]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiBosh

Are you people seeing a pattern in all of the police abuse videos that have been surfacing lately? In every case, the person was completely innocent of any crime, and yet they are being jumped on by a cop.

This is absolutely untrue; in almost every video the person has broken the law, and is resisting arrest. The difference between some of these videos and others, is whether or not excessive force was used, or the person was still harmed after being subdued. In this instance the girl was breaking a law; she was out beyond curfew at the least. It’s up to a court to decide if they feel the arrest was warranted, and a law has been proven to have been broken.

Therein lays a lot of the problem with what goes on during arrests. People feel that when an officer is arresting them, they still have some story to tell in an attempt to be let go. This is where the resisting starts. In almost every case, you can hear the person begging to not be arrested, or stating they did not do anything. Again this is up to a judge to decide, not a law enforcement officer. If an officer decides they have sufficient cause to arrest you, you need to shut up and go along, trying to negotiate with the officer or resist only gets you in worse trouble. There is nothing you are going to tell an arresting officer that is going to make them change their mind and let you go once the cuffs come off their belt.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Are you people seeing a pattern in all of the police abuse videos that have been surfacing lately? In every case, the person was completely innocent of any crime, and yet they are being jumped on by a cop. In an instant they have a man wrestling them down and attempting to pin their arms behind their backs.

The government wants you to be sheep, they want you to simply comply with whatever orders a police officer gives you. Have you stopped for one moment and thought about what your reaction would be if you were suddenly, violently, detained by a cop when you have done nothing wrong? It is an instinctual response to fight back, which is what this girl is doing. She is resisting the officer because she hasn't done anything wrong.

There is a pattern, agreed. But, this case doesn't fit in this pattern. Don't get me wrong -I am against the majority of these tazering/pepper spray incidents where the "perps" did nothing wrong.

In this case though, it was justified. She did nothing wrong??? She knowingly broke curfew. It's not like this cop jumped out of the bushes and grabbed a random person walking down the street..

The cop in this case handled himself far above the norm in both professionalism as well as patience.
Plus, this drama queen looked like she was on meth, or just hit the crack pipe.

The "Don't Tazer me, bro!" guy was a prime example of police abuse. This case though, is just a video record of acceptable police procedures scewed by PP into something it isn't.

I don't mean to sound facetious, but, what did you expect? That the cop would give her a lollipop or a cuddly teddy bear after resisting and BITING him?

Maybe that last line went a bit too far.. But still.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by justme2]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
There have been a lot of bad cop videos lately but after watching this one I do not see this as one. This girl was going crazy and not listening to anything that the officer said. I don't want to say she was on drugs but she was definitely in a hysterical state and resisting everything that officer did.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Where were the parents who didn’t care that she was out of the house at 15 in an area that has a strict curfew, and would finding her raped or dead be a better situation than a cop trying to control a totally out of control person? I personally see the cop a little over board on this, but I also see the girl instigating a large part of it. Also was she high or drunk? I would bet anyone here she was one or the other.

Are you people ever going to put the blame for an unfortunate situation like this where it really belongs?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join