It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's heard of the Naked Mole Rat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Weirdest creature ever! I just heard about it today, from an article that highlighted these rodents' extreme longevity. It seems that some of them can live up to 28 years. That's incredibly long for a rat!

Anyway, this was the article I was reading:

Ugly duckling mole rats might hold key to longevity

Who would have thought that the secrets to long life might exist in the naked, wrinkled body of one of the world's ugliest animals? Probably not many, but current research may be leading seekers of the Fountain of Youth to a strange little beast — the naked mole rat.

The naked mole rat is certainly not one of nature's cuddliest species. These small rodents are hairless, wrinkled, blind and buck-toothed. Stan Braude, Ph.D., lecturer in biology in Arts & Sciences at Washington University in St. Louis, however, is attracted to these animals and has been studying them for over 25 years, with about 20 of those years being in the field in Kenya.

[...]

Some of the "hottest" research on naked mole rats today concerns senescence, or aging. Naked mole rats in the lab have reached up to 28 years of age. And it's not just the controlled environments of their captivity that are doing this. Braude has observed mole rats in the wild that are 17 years and older. But these are the breeders. Lab researchers didn't realize that in the wild workers only live two or three years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yeah, that part about breeders piqued my interest. So I went to Wiki and found out that these moles have a social structure not unlike ants and bees; they've a queen at the top producing all these workers! Hah! I wasn't aware mammals did that!

Lookit:

Naked mole rat

Naked mole rats have a complex social structure in which only one female (the queen) and one to three males reproduce, while the rest of the members of the colony function as workers. As in certain bee species, the workers are divided along a continuum of different worker-caste behaviors instead of discrete groups[1]. Some function primarily as tunnelers, expanding the large network of tunnels within the burrow system, and some primarily as soldiers, designed to protect the group from outside predators.

Fascinating! Ugly, but still fascinating. Just when you thought you've got the world figured out, new wonders pop up.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Naked Mole Rat?

Anyone who has watched Kim Possible has heard of a Naked Mole Rat...

Rufus

Disney Monkeys, not just for the deep freeze anymore...

[edit on 5/10/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'll bet that's where Stephen King got the inspiration for that Lovecraft-esque story he wrote about the rats in the sub basement.

And I have a brief cheer:

U! G! L! Y! Rat ain't got no alibi!
It's ugly! It's mama says it's ugly!

I didn't know they had a hive structure. That is truly interesting information.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I saw them long ago.
They were guests on Johnny Carson's tonight show.

Actually "Jim" Fowler of Wild Kingdom fame, brought them on.

He called them "immortal" and ant-like with their social hierarchy.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Disney's version of the Naked Mole Rat is way cuter than the real thing. I've only watched Kim Possible a couple of times though. I must've missed the Rufus' appearance.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Ugly wee things. I'm sure there's a good David Attenborough docu. on them

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Bumping this up because I came across another interesting article about the naked mole rat. Turns out they can't feel chronic pain.

Naked mole-rats bear chili pepper heat

Evolution has benefited naked mole-rats by ridding them of a body chemical called Substance P, a neurotransmitter released by pain fibers that send signals to the central nervous system in mammals after making contact with things that cause long-lasting, achy pain.

[...]

Naked mole-rats, native to east-central Africa, developed a protective reaction to acids through evolution. Living in tight underground quarters, the mole-rats exhale high levels of carbon dioxide, which becomes acid when it touches skin and mucous tissue in the nose, eyes and mouth. But the mole-rats have evolved to become desensitized to the stinging pain of acid.

The rest of the article details how the scientists reactivated their pain receptors and gave the mole rats chilli.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Beach?

You and the whole lot of em' are going to think I'm pretty crazy but, I think the mole rat is kinda cute!

Tiny little eyes...big jutting teeth...lolololol I've seen worse in nature!

No wonder they prefer the 'underground'. Fur-less critters can't regulate their temperature above ground.

~Ducky~

[edit on 29-1-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Beach that is the single most ugly naked thing I've ever seen! Ducky...I guess what ever floats your boat right LOL

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Speaking of moles.......just today I went outside with my 4 dogs. One is 14 weeks old and brings toys outside with him quite a bit. I got distracted doing something and out of the corner of my eye, I saw him flipping something around in the air. Well, he throws it right next to my feet, and low and behold it was a mole! Not a naked mole, but a mole none the less!

I guess one of the kitties must have left it on the patio as a gift!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
They used to sell plain old naked rats at the pet stores around town. Amazed me, they look better with fur.

top topics

join