It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Satan really as bad as everyone makes him out to be?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Satan was supposedly a fallen angel. Why did he fall from grace? Because he refused to conform. He supposedly wanted adam and eve to know the truth and give them knowledge. Whats wrong with truth and knowledge?

It wasn't Satan that punished them... it was God.

When you really think about it, was satan that bad?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Satan did not exist, that simple.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
In a nutshell?

YES.

He'll lure you in and cage you as soon as he knows what makes you tick.

Then begins the eternal suffering.

Read Faust.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
i think he has the power of influence and deciet

I dont think hes wholly evil, well besides wanting to be higher than his own creator

man was given free will and is just an sinful

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
MCD: But think about this. Parents create their children. We want our children to be something greater than us. We want to be something greater than our parents. So what is wrong with that.

General Eyes: what makes you think that. Where in the bible does it say that?

Shackleford: How do you know that satan did not exist?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
All gods in human history were aliens, helping us to evolve in a specific direction, in my opinion. Its the most likely theory actually, if you just look at it objectively.

Jesus walking on water, people having visions, the many unexplained structures around the earth and so on.

Satan was invented by man to control people using fear. Sorry if my opinion offends anyone.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I don't disagree with you. However, my point is, I don't see why christians have demonized satan. He was supposedly a beautiful angel that didn't want to conform.

Christianity doesn't seem to help anyone evolve. The only reason i can come up with for it to exist is to teach people to "love one another" although I don't feel like most christians follow the teachings of jesus. ie: intollerance

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stellawayten

Well, you said it. He didnt want to conform. And the whole purpose of religion is to make people conform and accept the ideas. Hence he got demonized as an example of what happens when you dont conform. You go to hell.

Very effective.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
you make a good point in revealing what christianity really teaches: "If you dont conform, you are evil". This is why christianity is, for me, an inherently evil religion.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

i dont think it had alot to do with comformity, who knows how long he was a wonderous angel before he fell

some believe he fell after man was created and would not bow to man to help him but rather felt the angels were above man

other stories suggest he fell before from his own pride and vanity

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
In a nuttier NUTSHELL:
he is as bad as "god" is good
The point of this is that both entities have not showed up in my life (yet).
Maybe both are aspects of myself...

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Precisely. He wouldn't conform. I'm still waiting for someone to come in and prove that satan did terrible things. in the bible, wasn't it god who did all the destroying and punishing?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by stellawayten

I think mankind have done most of the destroying and punishing in the name of God actually.

Just think what people have done to their fellow man because of religious beliefs. Its quite awful really. Religion have separated mankind in my opinion, and it still does to this day.

I think mostly its TV and the view we get of other cultures from movies that separates people today though. I know I have never seen a african documentary without seeing children with flies in their eyes for example. And I dont think ive ever seen a popular crime series where its the americans who are the bad guys and the iraqi who are the good guys. Just think about what kind of reality that puts in peoples mind.

Its quite disturbing really. TV is effectively mind control.

Sorry, I have a tendency to get off topic... :p

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I find Satan to be a confusing description for an evil dark deity. He also is referred to as Lucifer which is the light bearer. So, who the hell do you believe is the real devil.

The thing with genesis calling the serpent evil is the serpent had Intel for Adamo and evolution when they smacked out on the fruit of knowledge. Than god gets all uppity about them eating it and started sweating over the demon duo getting smart and becoming like the gods with eternal life.

So if it was Satan who laughed at god and told Adamo and evo go ahead and eat knowing they will know more than nothing, whats so wrong with that an why label Satan as evil. It just don't make sense.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Let's take a step back, and observe this from a different angle. This type of thinking requires duality to function (e.g. how do you judge good, without bad - or hot, without cold?). The original bible (and other stories) had no "satan." The concept stems from the Book of Job, which was Job confronting duality in it's purest form. Satan is the word for "adversary" in hebrew, which is also a term which desribes polarity and duality, not a demon.

To say you worship satan, is naive. Satanists don't even believe in a satan, or hell, or god. If you do some research on the Church of Satan, it's actually just a different set of practices to live by (as opposed to commandments):

1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!

2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!

3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!

5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!

6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!

7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!

8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!

It's a satirical jab at christianity.

I would say that anyone who "worships" satan is really just someone living on one extreme of the spectrum - with these hardcord bible thumpers living on the other end. Neither is healthy, and both can be/are just as aggressive and offensive.

Moving on, there is another group called the Luciferians which are a bit different. It's a more gnostic approach to the scriptures, but the same approach. Neither are worshipping an entity names lucifer, or satan. They worship divinity within themselves, and within nature.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadow
if it was Satan who laughed at god and told Adamo and evo go ahead and eat knowing they will know more than nothing, whats so wrong with that an why label Satan as evil. It just don't make sense.

This was not satan, it was the "serpent." Some points of view would describe a serpent-like kundalini that awakens one to true knowledge. The serpent was a symbol for bringing knowledge to the psyche (it's all metaphorical of course) - just like Lucifer the Light-Bearer aka Prometheus, the one who brought knowledge to mortals.

It's just an analogy for the duality of knowledge. You can't really know anything, if you only know of pleasure and happiness. How would you know you were happy, without any comparison?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellawayten
Is Satan really as bad as everyone makes him out to be?

Not at all. Not even close. Don't believe everything you hear.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
From what I understand Lucifer's sin was pride.

What I learned at church about Lucifer was that he was the most beautiful Angel in heaven, and decided he should rule, and rebelled against God, with 1/3 of the other Angles.

This just sounds dumb to me.

The theory that makes more since to me is that when God created man, God held man higher than the angles, and in Lucifer's opinion, he would Not bow down to man, as he was a imperfect being, again another sin of pride.

Good/Evil, who is to say.

Actions determine Good or Evil.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

You said you learned that in church. What were they teaching that from because I don't think that was in the bible.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I think that satan was really the sumerian god Enki. Enki's symbol was the serpent. Enki was a god of great wisdom, even greater than the god in charge at the time his half brother Enlil. Enki created man with the help of the female god ninharsag. Enki wanted his children to be educated and mentioned that they were no differnt from the gods and could be if the gods let them. Enki came to the rescue of humanity several times. When enki educated man, the god in charge enlil got seriously pissed, saying that the humans could upsurp the gods if they "knew." TO this day the symbol for hidden knowledge is the snake. Kundalini. The medical symbol a staff entwined with serpents has it's history with the symbol of enki. the planet earth is named after enki, enki also went by the name Ea. which is were we get the word Ea Rth.

Enki later got dominance over enlil and his clan. Notice the difference betweenthe insecure cruel god from the first testiment and the loving kind god of the second testiment. Notice the god of the first testiment hated and demonized the serpent and some dude named satan, who used to hang at gods right hand side. Notice the god in the second testiment really doesnt mention satan. The god of the first testiment said that satan lived underground, enki lived in the abzu the word we get the term abyss from. Around the world independant civilizations all worshiped a flying serpent stating that that was the god of knowledge.

Enki was satan. Enki got a bad rap from his brother enlil. Enki created man, and loved man like his own children and wanted us to grow in knowledge and become godly. notice the first testiment doesn't want people to be godly. notice the god of the second testiment wanted us to be just like the gods and angels.

Satan is the real good guy, everybody is worshiping satan if they follow the second testiment. satan is good guy. the old testiment god had nothing in it to preserve mankind and was our real antagonist. he was the misleading one. go satan (enki, the creator of man, the real wise god)

[edit on 5-10-2007 by BASSPLYR]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join