It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowd swipes dying man's groceries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

MESA, Ariz., Oct. 3 (UPI) -- The sight of an old man being hit by a truck in Arizona touched off a feeding frenzy among witnesses who allegedly stole the dying victim's groceries.

Not only were the man's groceries taken, but the only person who tried to help him also had his own bags taken.

Mesa police told KPHO-TV in nearby Phoenix that the scavengers could face theft charges if they are eventually tracked down.

The elderly victim was waiting for a bus Tuesday night when a pickup truck swerved off the road and plowed into the stop. The man was sent flying as were his bags of groceries.

As the truck sped off with a white plastic bag flapping on its grill, witnesses began grabbing whatever scattered food they could get their hands on. Boro Mitrovich, who was himself nearly struck, said he ran to help the man and had his bag disappear as well.

"One minute it was on the ground, the next minute it was gone," Mitrovich told KPHO.

Link

This is sad! Has our society just abandoned all morals in this generation??
What would you do if you saw this happen? Would you take action and stop the thief?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Did the man have any Grey Poupon?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
In all honesty, did he really need them anymore? Would it have been right to leave the groceries out on the road to be run over by other cars? Maybe those people were homeless.

Peace

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
As sad and horrible as this is, I don't think it indicates a decline in morality.

I think people's morals have always been in a state of laxness, and we just seem to think it was better in the "good ol' days."

Looting a corpse or a wounded person is an old activity, probably as old as mankind.

However, it is most disgusting and you'd think that by now we'd know better and act better than this, especially in this holier-than-thou religious climate we have today.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Jeeeees, you are all joking here, right?

Is this the new way to act? He must be dead so we're taking his food?

Dear lord, God help us.

I really am not surprised he got jumped for his food. I lived outside of Mesa and at work if you put your lunch in the fridge you could kiss it goodbye. :shk:

That being said, it just adds a different tone with a man who just got run over!!! At least we were all alive at work...

Sad. Well, i wouldnt have taken his food no matter how hungry i was. Not me.

I wouldnt be able to swallow it.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Geez. Stories like this make me just want to
all over humanity.

I mean come on people...This poor old man has been hit by a truck, and the only thing you can think to do is jack his groceries? Are we really that hard up as a society?

I can understand if this was like the wild west or if we were in the middle of a hunger crisis, but this is America in 2007. I think these societal rejects should be prosectued somehow.

What does this say about society as a whole? First you have that jerk taping a dying woman for Youtube, and now bystanders wont help an old man thats been run over to see if he is OK, they just take his stuff and bolt.

I hope that the people that stole his food choke on it.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The desparately downtrodden in our society, for the most part, don't think like that. Whether it be drug dependency or homelessness or hunger or whatever, it doesn't surprise me that people do this.

Like I said before, would it have been right to leave the stuff out on the road to get run over when it could help someone else? Dude's at least looking at an extended hospital stay, and at most is dead, either way, the groceries do him no good.

Now, jacking the guy that was helping the old man was pretty disgusting.

Edit to add: In my neighborhood, nobody would give those groceries a second thought. Speaks volumes as to the area of town where this guy was run over. Hell, they could have been illegal immigrants who were hungry.

Peace

[edit on 5-10-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well my personal mindset would be to:
1st-Help the man get medical attention.
2d-Help him pick up his belongings.

I have no problem with picking his groceries up and putting them back in the paper sack and taking them to a relative or holding them for a friend or relative. Even if I did not know him I would show some basic human decency and do these things out of instinct. And I consider myself an asshole.

new topics

top topics

join