It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Country Has The Greatest Military Record?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
ie:- Victorys.

id have to say Britain, our puny island as kicked some arse over the years and we did occupy 25% of the world (the largest empire) just 60 years ago.

i can understand if someone would say Italy (Roman) or another one of the great empires in history.

but what are your views?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The greatest military power of all time would have to be the UK until the 1950s when we (the US) took over as the #1 power.

Interestingly enough, the British Army today as of 2007 is larger then it was for much of the Empire era.

1800 - appx. 100,000.
2007 - 110,580 regular personnel and 38,460 Territorial Army personnel.

I cant find any other historical personnel numbers though

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
thats not the question i'm asking, i said who as the greatest military record, the US doesn't even come into concideration because during their history america hasn't even won 1 war by themself.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by st3ve_o]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
While true the UK did have much of the world under its thumb you have to look at the people they fought. Tribes in africa, and if I remember right the british didnt have to fight for australia. India is the only nation that put up a real fight against the british, along with the fight for New france.

Basically if your looking for a simple 10-0 win loss record it would have to be either the mongols, greeks, or romans. If your looking for "real" victories then it would have to be napoleon's frenchman or german armies of 1914-1918 & 1939-1945.

Just my opinion.

[edit on 5/10/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Your forgetting the Boer War and the British had some tough times in the Sudan and with the Zulus. And of course the Falklands in 1982.

And The US has won several wars on its own:

- Grenada in 1983 (the OAS forces dident arrive until after we already secured the island).
- Panama in 1989.
- Spanish American War in 1898.
- Texas War of Independence (except for the Tejanos most Texans were American citizens and many US Army officers allowed their men to temporarily go AWOL to fight in the Republic of Texas Army) and the War with Mexico in 1836 and 1846 - 48.

And numerous other small conflicts here and there throughout our history such as the 1871 incident with Korea over the SS General Sherman.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by ChrisF231]

top topics

join