It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Realities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I had never heard of Ron Paul until the first Republican debate of the season. I'm sure i'm one of tens of people who tuned into the event. I watched Rudy Giuliani attack Ron based on his opinions about Iraq and the war on terrorism. Rudy used Ron's honest opinions as efficiently as any low-class high-profile power player looking to use 9/11 to further his own cause. I lost respect for him there. Then, I watched as the media proceeded to first call him out (what happened to unbiased journalism?) for his opinions on our military presence around theworld, and promptly ignore him thereafter. I haven't heard two peeps about Ron Paul in the media until this morning driving to work, listening to Glen Beck. Glen gave Ron Paul supporters an entire hour to call in and talk about him. Mind you, Beck has never supported Ron Paul. I don't agree with a good bit of what Beck says on his radio show, but i do respect the fact that he is very astute and ALWAYS respects his guests and callers enough to have a conversation, rather than shouting them down.

I have to say, i was very impressed with the supporters who called in. People from all walks of life had A LOT to say about Ron Paul, they seemed very educated on what he stood for, much more so than the average candidate supporter. Beck pointed that out. He also pointed out a trend in the conversation that i picked up on. People are angry, and they might finally be ready to vote THEIR MIND rather than who they think is going to win. I hope that's true.

Beck expressed major concern over Paul's desire to disband the FBI. I don't agree with disbanding the FBI either, but i also understand that a two-term Paul Presidency would NEVER end with a disbanded FBI. Infact, the majority of things Paul would ideally like to implement would NEVER pass Congress or the House. So what are we so afraid of?

Why do we feel the need to vote for a Hillary, Giuliani, or anyone from the standard crop? Honestly, how can we be sure any of them are different from the other? They're all in bed with big business. They're all corrupted. It upsets me that we are a nation of consumers, and if there isn't a price tag attached, we just don't care.

I hope things change this season. I've registered as a Republican in Florida so i can cast my vote for Ron. I hope everyone who has the opportunity will do the same. Make a statement and vote for Ron Paul. Our government doesn't seem to be listening any other way.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Right on. Ron Paul is the real deal, just look at his voting record. Everything he does is in step with the US Constitution (something often left out these days). He doesnt get the respect he deserves from the media because he's a THREAT to all those corrupted bastards and their profits. Thats the last thing those people on top want, someone in office for the people.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Cyfre is onto something I've also mentioned in my thread, Ron Paul, my new favorite Democrat, and that is that Ron Paul, as funny as this might sound, is a good compromise candidate precisely because he will face such opposition from congress.

I've caught it a bit for jokingly referring to him as a democrat (yes he has an R next to his name, and yes he's more libertarian than Republican) but consider what he can actually DO, especially with a Democratic congress.

He'd be able to get us out of Iraq.

He'd be able to make a few reforms (though probably not all that are necessary) to bring post 9/11 intelligence and security policies back in line with the US Constitution.

Through his distrust of federal law enforcement and probable inability to disband the FBI etc, he'd probably end up doing the next best thing- reforming federal law to undermine some of the excesses which support the prison industry (shamefully, putting people in jail has become not just a necessary evil of civilization, but an industry.)

(*In fact although narcotics laws are necessary in my opinion, the overzealous punishment of minor offenses to those laws accounts for almost exactly the number of incarcerations that are handled by private prisons- meaning that overzealous federal agencies are the only thing keeping such a monstrosity as a prison industry profitable).

He'd be able to check military spending and he wouldn't abuse the war powers act (which even more admirable presidents of the last few decades have been prone do doing).

And then there's social programs. Paul facing a Democrat congress would probably use the Veto more in his first two YEARS than any other president has ever done in two TERMS. But he wouldn't be able to stop waste under current programs. That means that if Democrats wanted to get new programs, and Republicans wanted to eliminate wasteful spending, they'd have to sit down together and accomplish both in one bill that they were willing to override Paul's veto for. Worst case scenario, we'd get a spending cap at current levels- best case scenario, we'd get an unprecedented bi-partisan efficiency regime.

To make a long story short, the fact that Ron Paul isn't really a Republican makes him a half-way decent Democrat, and the fact that he isn't really a Democrat makes him a decent conservative. Not a bad compromise- especially considering the added bonus that I believe he will drop his Republican affiliation if he gets a second term, which will be a big victory for anyone who is sick of false dichotomy of partisan politics in America.

The title of this thread is Ron Paul Realities, and the reality is that I don't think he has a prayer in the primaries, but I'd like to see him at least make a respectable showing.

In fact, because circumstances have forced me to state party affiliation for the first time in my life, there is a considerable probability that I will be voting Paul in the primary.

(I usually register independent and vote a slightly democratic split ticket, but I live in a red district and am planning to mount a primary challenge against my congresswoman no later than 2014, so I've had to start playing the role of liberal Republican rather than loose-cannon independent).

ape

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
(yes he has an R next to his name, and yes he's more libertarian than Republican)

He's actually more conservative than anything else. Everything the man espouses is traditional conservatism/libertarianism from way back in the day, he's a conservative-libertarian like Reagan claimed to be. I believe he was an original founder of the reagan coalition in the mid 70's when reagan went up against Ford in the primaries. I know he was one of 4 who endorsed and vouched for Reagan when everyone called him a kook ( dejavu?)

[edit on 10-11-2007 by ape]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
i'm supporting ron paul but i just wanna know why he voted against impeachment??? i just wish ppl liked dennis kucinich more in this stupid country.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lavisod
i'm supporting ron paul but i just wanna know why he voted against impeachment??? i just wish ppl liked dennis kucinich more in this stupid country.

I imagine he voted against impeachment because he didn't see the point in wasting more taxpayer dollars to make something official that masses of people already subscribe to. We all know Bush & Cheney are as crooked as a cane with a knot in it. I personally don't need to see them get impeached or go to jail. I just want Congress, the House & the Executive Branch to open their eyes and realize that while they play chess with potential legislation, soldiers & iraqi's are being killed. Oil is rising. Healthcare is rising.

I honestly believe Ron Paul is more republican than libertarian. Why? Seems to me that his beliefs in small government are in line more with libertarian ideals than republican (although republicans are for smaller govt), but that his beliefs on social issues are more influenced by his faith.

As a non-religious American, i can respect his opinion that life begins at conception and abortion SHOULD be legal, and i can trust that he will leave that up to individual states to decide.

top topics

join