It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Megalodon video. Is this shark really as big as I think it is?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This shark looks absolutely enormous.

The video is japanese, and I know they put some strange stuff on thier television shows, but could this possibly be genuine?

Megalodon?

How big do you guys think this shark is? Or do you think it is a fake?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Thats not a megaladon. Its a bottom feeder. I think its called a mud shark. Dude, a megaladon would kinda resemble a GIANT Great white. If I remember correctly, Mud Sharks are scavangers that kinda crusie around looking for rotting carcassess.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
id have to go with the greenland shark thing

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Its a greenland shark, a bottom feeder. not dangerous although ugly. THe other sharks were other greenland sharks maybe a few 6 gilled sharks too not sure. HTe thing appears close to the camera lense and is probably no bigger than the other sharks in the film.

Megalodons were giant mako shark looking things, were estimated to be able to swim up to 250 knots which would be unbelievably fast in the water, could cavatate water with a strong swish of it's tail, and would need to sustain it's self by feeding off of pods of whales. Funny nobody has spoted one ever near a group of whales. Also the megalodon sharks teeth are the most commonly found fossils on earth. Sharks sheed a lot of teeth so where are all the curent megalodon teeth. the sea floor should be littered with them if they were still around.

Bottom line- no megalodons exist anymore. they literally ate themselves out of house and home. what would they possibly be able to eat?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
now if you really want to scare yourself look up and see if there is any footage of goblin sharks. now those are frightening ugly mothers.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Ok, here's a possible Prehistoric Shark. Not huge, but still cool.

Here is a YouTube video featuring the Megamouth.

It mentions the throwback to having 6 gill slits.

I only counted 5 on the OP vid.

Anyway, I'd rather broil shark tail in
a butter and garlic sauce, than discuss
them.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

i dont think that is what that shark is.

check out this ulgy mother.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

but this is my take on what shark that is..
www.shark.ch...

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Yeah, Megalodon's aren't fake, theyre just extinct. They resemble very closely to a Great White shark, and their teeth are about as large as a human. TO be completely honest they scare the
out of me.

[edit on 10/4/2007 by Schmidt1989]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Wow, great links, people! See, it's stuff like this that
re sparks my interest in creatures like Nessie. That bottom feeder
video was freaky! Maybe something like this could survive
under more strict circumstances, like Champlain or Loch Ness?
Why not, I can dream, can't I?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Well, I wouldn't say a megalodon's teeth were as big as a person, but they were definitely at least as big as a person's head.

The Wiki article says they could get up to 16 meters long, maybe longer (that's over 50 feet).

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
It's funny to find this thread. The museum of natural history here in Gainesville has a Megaladon exhibit right now. I walked through it and man, All I can say is in this lifetime you will see some very sad things happen to our oceans. Alot of Shark species are going to bite the big one

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lexion

The frilled shark really is an interesting critter. Thanks for posting that.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiantPanda1979
Alot of Shark species are going to bite the big one

Pun intended? Probably not from the sad smiley.

I think a lot more species than just sharks are going to be biting the big one.

While sad, this has happened several times on this planet in its long history. Mass extinction is one of the engines that drive diversity.

The animals that can survive our changing of the ecosystem will evolve into new species to fill the emptied niches. Pigeons, raccoons, rats, cockroaches; all are doing fine off us. Pine martens and other smart animals are adapting to city life. When I lived in London, there was a fox that lived somewhere in our area. I used to leave the carcass of the Thanksgiving turkey out for him.

If we don't kill ourselves off, a long time from now, our descendants will live in a world of mostly new species, that are adapted to living cheek by jowl to our messy civilization.

Even if we were to kill ourselves off as well, it's not the end of the world. Some creatures and plants will manage to survive, adapt and flourish.

sorry to get off topic. That was one big shark!

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Enrikez thanks for posting this fantastic sized shark. It is truly a monster. It could be a megalodon shark, but no one will know for sure until it or another one like it is caught. Even though scientists say that the megalodon shark is extinct, sightings have been made, and teeth marks and bite marks have been measured in modern times indicating a larger shark is out there in the waters of the Oceans.

It is doubtful that it is the green shark, because it is too large for the green shark, and it is not any of the other known sharks because of its size, and its coloring, and because of its head structure. This video was supposedly taken in 1990, and the shark was then stated to be a green shark by Eugene Clark; but if you look up Eugene Clark, he is not a shark expert, so his statement that this is a green shark cannot be taken biblically. Look at the PVC, the other fish, and then the width of this shark, it is incredible.

One of the posters down below the video states that the announcer of the video states that the other sharks are 2 meters in length. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but by my own personal estimation of what I see in the video, I think the other sharks are around one meter in length for sure.

I'm making my own personal observation of the length of the shorter sharks by looking at the PVC pipe down below all of them. I would estimate that the largest diameter PVC pipe in the video is at least 2 inches in diameter, which would make the PVC structure in the video at least one meter square. If the PVC in the video is larger than what I estimate, then the fish are larger yet.

If those fish are one meter in length, then the little shark bumping into the larger shark, gives an good estimate of the larger sharks size. Also when the larger shark is getting its food off of the PVC structure, it is covering the structure, and then some in its width. If the length of the shark is 8 times the width of the head and the head of this shark is one meter wide, then this massive shark should be approximately 8 meters long; close to 25 feet.

On the other hand, if the PVC structures diameter is larger than 2 inches in diameter then the stucture itself would be larger; possibly 2 meters square, which would mean the smaller fish are 2 meters in length. Which would mean that the big shark is about 50 feet in length. So... I would guess that the big shark is somewhere between 25 and 50 feet in length; which is quite large.

I'm no expert on sharks though, but I'm using logic. As you well know species of sharks thought extinct in modern times have been caught, proving they aren't extinct after all, also the coelacanth, and the giant squid.

I think BASSPLYR forgot to put a decimal into his statement. He states the megalodon could swim as fast as 250 knots, this is impossible, because that would be 287 miles per hour. I think he meant 25.0 knots which would be 28 miles per hour; I could believe that speed for a very short burst from a shark; but I couldn't believe it from this shark, it moved too slow.

No person or scientist out there in our world can state that there is absolutely no megalodon sharks out in the oceans, until all of the oceans are completely drained and every fish is looked at; and we know we will never see that in our life times hopefully. Until the oceans are completely drained and every creature looked at therein; then there is still a chance that what once was proven to exist, still exists.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
well, i guess that about sums it up!

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The shark in this video is not a megalodon. It is a Pacific Sleeper Shark and was estimated to be 23 feet long... a size which I feel is apt. The Pacific Sleeper is, like the Sperm Whale, a predator of both Giant and Colossal Squids.
If this was indeed a Megalodon the specimen wouldn't have been so dark in colour. Megalodon were literally a big Great White... think the shark from Jaws on every steroid we have.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
JackofBlades is right, it's a sleeper shark, and we had that video reposted numerous times back when I went to Unexplained Mysteries. Debunked it over and over again.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I agree with most of the posts but I don't think I left out a decimal. I agree 25 knots is a much more realistic speed, but I swear when I was watching discovery channel (I know the excuse everybody uses) the narrator said that they basically feel that the megalodon was a sized up mako. THey felt the beast was more a relative to the mako than the great white due to the way the teeth fit in the jaw bone which was almost identical to the current mako.

Mako sharks according to the same show, and they had some pretty impressive video, could sprint up into the 60mph range and out accelerate a sports car. So they estimated that the megalodon could do the same thing and the speed they estimated was around 250 knots. Thats retarded fast, but hey, truth is stranger than fiction.

Personally I think that they would find whales washed up in droves if a population of megalodons were still around. scientist estimate that the only thing around that would feed a megalodon would be whales and large large fish such as great whites, whale sharks, some really big grouper maybe. Also, megalodon fossils are the most common found on earth since sharks shed so many teeth. there are swamps in florida that are literally litered with megalodon teeth. we'd find tons of curretn teeth all the time if they were still around.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Sorry for the repost, guys.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess there is nto an unknown species here afterall. I was pretty impressed with the video though, which is why I posted it.

This community has a lot of knowledge and are really good at solving these problems as they come up. Thanks for the input.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Though I believe you heard it right, this number of 250kts (287mph) has got to be erroneous. I believe I saw the same show. The research person for the show just got it wrong. It's not only too fast, it's impossibly fast.

To date the fastest torpedo only goes 200mph (173kts) using 'supercavitation'.

I'd suggest that their burst speed would be similar to that of a mako, though I'd accept slightly faster than sailfish (67mph/108kph/58kts).

We'd probably be disappointed and discover that the type of fish Meg was would be more like a scavenger, (but using its large size to scare off other predators at the kill) This is similar to what has been suggested of T-Rex. In that case I'd guess the the top speed was more in line with that of a whale.

IOW, fearsome size and armament doesn't always mean 'fast predator'. Generally the fastest predators are like Raptors, and they hunt in packs.

Anyway, always a fascinating subject, the Meg.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join