It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Space Race Begins

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

A new space race has begun, and one the U.S. may lose again. In 1961, the Soviets launched the first man into space. Eight years later, the U.S. landed the first man on the moon. But the country's space agency, NASA, is already predicting defeat in the race to return to the moon.

"I personally believe that China will be back on the moon before we are," NASA administrator Michael Griffin said in a low-key lecture in Washington to mark the space agency's 50th anniversary, still a year away.

New Space Race Begins

Why was america behind both times? Nasa getting lazy? Comon america get your buts in gear you can do it.
who do you think will win the race?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by masterchief117

Why just China and Russia? India is sending an unmanned orbital probe to the Moon next year. A moon lander by 2012 and there'll be an Indian on the Moon probably by 2020! So America better watch out. Or they'll lose the mineral rights to mine exotic materials on vast expanses on the Moon to China, Russia and India! Titanium and Helium3, the latter being the next gen energy source.

ENERGY! The word that sends American corporates into a tizzy! Isn't this the main reason why they want to get back to the Moon? But it's going to be a nail biting finish!

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
If we truly got to the Moon back then, why is it so difficult now?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Back then we had the facilities to build the Saturn rockets to make it to the moon, now we don’t. It would require a complete re-tooling of the construction, assembly, and launch facilities to accomplish this. With NASA’s current budget and existing demands on its services, they just are stretched to thin to accomplish this goal. It would take a lot of time and money to change over the facilities, and re-train the personnel to work with new equipment.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

"NASA's current budget"

I really don't like that we spend so little on space exploration and other forms of scientific and technological advancement.

All our money goes into technology for weapons and killing or controlling others.

Now, I realize NASA probably has it's hands dirty and uses it's budget for things other than just exploring space but - it really disappoints me that we haven't achieved more in space, and that we don't spend more on space exploration.

It seems to me it would be a good investment - an interesting investment - so long as it was solely for scientific purposes.

In a perfect world, that would be the case. Sadly, it's not.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Why does it always have to be a race?

Race means your just unprepared, you cant take all the finds and do all the things that you want because of failed preparation.

Putting a person on the moon should be for a good reason, not because the other guy is doing it.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
All some one needs to do is say "there is oil on the moon" and the "good old USA" will be up there before we know it

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I am still really undecided on the moon thing, but lets say we didn't land on it. Could we see a Mars launch in the next decade? Now let's say we did land on the moon. Could we see a Moon launch in the next decade?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ParanormalShiver
I am still really undecided on the moon thing, but lets say we didn't land on it. Could we see a Mars launch in the next decade? Now let's say we did land on the moon. Could we see a Moon launch in the next decade?

that could be, it all depends really on how much "helium 3" is left over after russia and china get there before the americans...

[edit on 5-10-2007 by masterchief117]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
reply to post by masterchief117

Why just China and Russia? India is sending an unmanned orbital probe to the Moon next year. A moon lander by 2012 and there'll be an Indian on the Moon probably by 2020! So America better watch out. Or they'll lose the mineral rights to mine exotic materials on vast expanses on the Moon to China, Russia and India! Titanium and Helium3, the latter being the next gen energy source.

ENERGY! The word that sends American corporates into a tizzy! Isn't this the main reason why they want to get back to the Moon? But it's going to be a nail biting finish!

Cheers!

yup its going to be a close one!! Im suprized you didnt post this topic first mike! usually your the first with space and alien news.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

You missed Japan

They just sent launched a lunar orbiter with two probes. It's now orbiting the Moon.

Japan's lunar "princess" begins orbit

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's first lunar probe began to orbit the moon on Friday, getting off to a smooth start in a new space race with China, India and the United States.

[...]

Japanese scientists say the 55 billion yen ($472.3 million) Selenological and Engineering Explorer, or SELENE, is the world's most technically complex mission to the moon since the U.S. Apollo program decades ago.

The mission consists of a main orbiter and two baby satellites equipped with 14 observation instruments designed to examine surface terrain, gravity and other features for clues on the origin and evolution of the moon.

SELENE also carries a high-definition television camera to shoot the Earth "rising" from the Moon's horizon, footage of which will be sent back to Earth. SELENE will orbit the moon for about a year until it runs out of fuel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Should be interesting if we get to see those HDTV footages. Better if it's unedited

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Who cares who wins the race, i mean why is it such a drama if america doesnt get there first?

I say good on the Chinese, Japanese and Indians for having a go at discovering more about the moon and solar system.

Maybe with more countries than just America and Russia going into space we can learn more about whats up there

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Octavius Maximus
Why does it always have to be a race?
Putting a person on the moon should be for a good reason, not because the other guy is doing it.

Exactly.
People laugh at/scold children when they have arguments over who's got the best lolly or who can get to the cars front seat first, while the most powerful nations on this planet are doing the exact same thing, just on a larger (and far more expensive!) scale.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Maybe with more countries than just America and Russia going into space we can learn more about whats up there

Exactly! That's why I'm enjoying this new race better. There are more participants

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I imagine if russia got there first they would plant flags everywhere and claim the moon "russian territory" lol

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterchief117
I imagine if russia got there first they would plant flags everywhere and claim the moon "russian territory" lol

Here's a good thread you should read:
Why Couldn’t The United States Claim The Moon?

It says in that thread somewhere that if the U.S. owned the moon, and the moon caused a king tide that damaged my house, I could sue the U.S. Government. Cool huh?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Cool thread
I'm into anything that involves space, Too Boldly Go Where No Man,Woman Has Gone Before. I posted this a few days ago with no replies
Many contestants in latest 'space race' to the moon Theres a trekky fan in all of us.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If it really mattered, we could have a man on the moon AGAIN within a years time. Imagine the advanced we've had since 1969 ? Hell the laptop that I'm writing this on would be much more computing power than the Apollo mission. The kinds of different fuels we have developed, the kinds of technology in terms of communications. There is no doubt we can do it in a years time if it really mattered.

But the thing is it doesnt matter now, for the chinese ithis is about thrills, we've had our share. And its not like these people are going to start shipping back minerals even in the next century. The Chinese and the Russkies dont have the skills or the ability to do so. When we go it will be for a purpose and when we are ready. Ready to colonize the moon for humanity.

There will not be any "mining rights" thing going on. It will be an international station, somewhere where we can learn and explore. Not a travelers inn or a mine shaft.

A race would be to a place we havent been to yet. Let the Chinese or the Russkies start a program to Mars; That would be a race. Asking America to compete again would be like asking Lance Armstrong to win the again.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Ive been thinking about helium 3 would we have to redesign our space shuttle engines to use it or just fill the tank with it? is it unstable?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join