It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compound Bows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if there is preferred brand/make of hunting compound bow out there. I am currently taking archery classes with a crappy 20lb recurve, but I feel the need for something a little more usefull. Opinions and brand names would be appreciated.

AJ

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
In a survival situation, simpler is better. I'd stick with a recurve over a compound bow. Since you didn't give your age and size, I wouldn't recommend any bow over a 40 lb draw. 40 lbs is plenty enough bow for most game out to 30 yards. At one point in my younger days, I was using a 55 lb draw but that was after years of practice with 45-50 draw weight bows.

If you're heart is set on a compound bow, get the bow hunter's bible first and follow their recommendations for choosing one. Bows are like golf clubs, get the right one and you'll be much happier. If there's an archery shop or sportsman's club nearby, see if there's a 3-D group or club that holds matches near you. Nothing will sharpen your field shooting skill like 3-D archery.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I mostly agree with crgintx accept on sticking with a recurve. In my opinion a compound is better the benefits far out weigh the risk. there is dangers in a compound that are not there in a recurve. You could wreck a cam, The anchors on the upper and lower limbs could strip or come loose from the wood. But the idea in a bow is to get food silently. sometimes you need to aim instead of pull up and shoot. that to me is all the difference in the world. a compound will allow a few seconds longer aiming time increasing your chances of getting food in your belly.

I like the idea of the bow hunters bible. good call crgintx. Also ask friends and family who may already bow hunt. see what they like. Talk to your archery instructor as well.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I prefer recurve and am currently using a 60 lb pull. I have a 70 lb I'm trying to work up to. Ben Pearson makes fantastic recurves and even nice compounds. I too began with a 40 lb, Ben Pearson Short Bee and have had six different bows since then (all recurve and I still own 5 of them). I have tried compound bows and I feel there are just to many working parts, I prefer the simple things instead. Good luck and enjoy!

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Amano_Jacku

You're really going to have to do some research. Make some visits to your local archery shop. You could go to a Cabelas or Gander Mountain, but I've never been impressed with their service.

As far as compounds, I've been shooting the same Golden Eagle since 1996, and it's been great bow. It has an 80% let-off on the draw which is nice. Some of my buddies shoot Mathews, and they are very nice, but expensive. The Hoyt is very nice, too. Depends on what you want to pay, really. With all the new bow technology these days, it's hard to find a bad bow. I recently looked at a Parker Hornet. Might be my next bow purchase.

You need to get what fits your needs and your physical dimensions. We could give you the names of bow manufacturers all day, but in the end, you need what fits you.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
There are many makes/models ..I shoot Darton Apache..first compound I ever owned. It is set to like 70 lb pull. 75 leads to looser grouping of arrows. Which could be function of the stiffness of the particular arrow I am shooting. Many shoot Matthews Solocam.. I'd be out this weekend but it is very warm here.

I would like to get recurve some day.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'll be buying one soon myself to go along with my new pellet gun. =)

Since this is the survival forum:

I'll add that a good airgun and bow will be more useful to you than a firearm in a SHTF scenario. In the most likely scenario I see happening is more government control & police state. The market and economy failing. More corruption. More erosion or outright elimination of our rights. More gun control.

A firearm would be best if dealing with humans especially multiple attackers at once. The problem is that the laws in this type of a scenario will be such that you can't legally own a firearm or get ammo for it.

If you do use one, even just for hunting, the noise of the gun will attract police/military to your location. If you need to slip off from society you are going to need to rely on stealth.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'd go with a Crossbow as a primary and a Recurve as a backup. Reason being, Crossbows don't need nearly as much practice as bows and they are easier to conceal(not as much as a gat but still...)

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Cross-Bows are heavy with many moving parts that do wear out, parlex is extreme. Compounds also have moving parts that wear out and need tuning to stay in good working order. You couldnt go wrong with with long bow or recurve, well if you cant shoot the thing you have a clumsy club so you have to practice, but they are light weight, no moving or wear part's... Hook up with an open minded friend to explore what is good for YOU, try out as many different bows as you can, and Good Luck...I'm going turkey hunting this morning with my recurve and since I got direct order's from PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) I'm hopeing to have some apple stuffed wild turkey for sunday dinner... Another Glorious Day to Excel...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
And just to throw something out since no one mentioned it, Mongolian Bow. They have a "let off" feel of a compound but a simple "one piece/non-tech" functionality of a recurve or traditional longbow.

For crossbows, a very functional, simple and quiet crossbow can be made from a 2x4, an iron prod, artificial sinew and a little knowledge of medieval design.

Not to promote a particular group, but contact a local chapter of the SCA and have a long talk with an archery marshal. You may be introduced to such complex ideas as an atal-atal and blowguns. And I will leave Pana to your research skills.

top topics

join