It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(SSSC) The Cull

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
(SSSC) The Cull

The radio clicked on, as usual, at exactly 5:30 AM.

The perky CBC personality began speaking after the final notes of some nondescript music faded. She told of programs and areas which Steve never listened to as he rolled out of bed and reset the alarm, silencing the ebullient chattering.

The floor was cool to his feet as he trundled off to the washroom, carrying a fresh pair of socks and clean boxers. Glancing up, he saw his face refected in the dark bathroom window and he grimaced at the tangled halo of fine graying hair which floated around his sleepy eyes.

The morning ritual was a total reversal of the way things had been, he mused with a wry grin. Now he was the one to rise early and get the coffee going while his wife caught those extra few minutes of sleep before going off to work. Sweet karma... sweet sweet karma.

The routine gradually took him to the kitchen and the requisite brewing of the coffee. The predawn sky was framed in the east window over the sink and, as he ran the cold water tap, Steve always looked for Venus over the rooftop of his neighbours house, marking its location. The ritual had begun many years before his retirement and the habit had continued to be a joy for him... a promise of a clear day with the added bonus of a timeless practise which must have been repeated by millions of humans for millenia. It was a tie between heaven and earth, God and mankind, Steve had always told his wife and sons who now lived in the distant city.

But this morning, as he stared, he saw something else moving high in the atmosphere, lit by a sun still hiding below the horizon. Judging the motion against the bright planet, the object moved much quicker than a satellite and it sure couldn't be a jet. Steve mused that it could be the ISS and looked down to fill the carafe.

Once the coffee began perking, he was about to start making breakfast when he glanced out the window again and saw another bright light moving across the sky. Intrigued, he went out the back door into the yard to have a look.

Standing openmouthed and incredulous, he watched as several objects crossed above him, growing larger yet dimmer as they fell down within Earth's shadow. One in particular seemed stationary, but slowly expanded much as a balloon would when someone blows it up for a child.

A sudden fear gripped Steve then and, weak-kneed, he stumbled backwards, dizzy from staring straight up. 'This wasn't right', he thought, 'not right at all'. With his head instinctively scrunched down into his shoulders, he retreated back into the house.

His wife, finally awake and drawn by the familiar smell of the strong coffee, found him sitting at the table staring out into a lightening pre-dawn, his face drained, eyes staring and mouth agape.

"Honey", she cried, suddenly alarmed, "What's the matter?"

Steve mumbled something inane and pointed out of the large north window which looked over their back yard.

Following the direction of his shaking finger amd peering into the grey dawn light, she noticed the black hulk of a dome beside the water tower several blocks away.

"What's that!?!", she whispered in his ear.

"I haven't got a bloody clue, babe, but it must have landed on the soccer fields"

"Landed?!?"

"Yeah, Dee, I watched it come down just now... it's huge."

Dee went to the coffee pot, poured two cups and then both sauntered out into the calm cool October air to drink it as they often did, sitting on the old bench behind the house.

"Honey, there was all kinds of them," he said as he sipped, "I must have counted two dozen at least. This one landed here, but the others landed all along the lakeshore."

"You don't think it's an invasion, do you?" she giggled, trying to lighten the mood.

"Darlin', it never made a sound as it landed."

They both fell silent then, falling back into the ritual established over their long lifetimes.

Breakfast was well underway and Steve had poured his second cup when the sirens began, breaking the tension that kept them and the object a private affair. Something was up for sure now. Not long after that, the first popping sounds carried across the subdivision.

Putting his coffee down, he looked at his wife with a queer look in his eyes.

"Those are gunshots, babe..."

The sirens built in numbers as emergency crews were called in. He picked out the various bleats and warbles of ambulances, lots of cruisers and fire department vehicles converging on the area where the dome had landed. The gunshots continued unabated throughout the riotous morning as the sun finally began to fill the sky.

"I don't want you to go to work today, honey. Stay home with me, will ya?

Dee looked at her husband and saw the worry in his eyes. 'God, after all these years, he still loves me', she thought. But now she was getting scared too.

"Let's take the car and see what's going on," she said with quiet determination, refusing to agree with staying away from work.

If it was all over by the time they got there, she decided she'd just carry on like normal and go to work after that. She then rose and went to finish her prepping in the washroom while Steve took the remnants of his coffee back outside and into the yard.

The sirens had suddenly fallen silent as if a switch had shut them off all at once. There was no more gunfire and he could hear neighbours starting vehicles, driving by, doing like any workday morning. It all seemed a little surreal to Steve. Could it be that the others hadn't seen the dome? Perhaps they figured another accident at the busy highway intersection and thought nothing of it. He marvelled at two cardinals flitting and calling in their quaint 'pip, pip' way as they busied themselves in the forsythia bush gathering berries.

He wondered if he wasn't over-reacting, but then he looked over to the silver grey dome that squatted like a monstrous turtle shell 5 blocks away and that uncomfortable clench in his gut came back.

"Ready," Dee said cheerfully, breaking off his sombre reverie and handing Steve the car keys, "Let's go see."

A block from the community center, a tangled mess of cars blocked the road... some with doors ajar, turn signals flashing, some with engines running and others not. Steve pulled over on a side street and locked it up like he normally did. Putting his arm around Dee, they began walking uphill for the final block.

It was so quiet that they could hear the ticking of engines as they cooled. A few dozen Canada geese flew above, honking their way to the east, unimpressed with the huge craft that lay not far below them.

The sun, now free of the horizon, blazed with a clear golden light across the race track in front of them . Steve and Dee saw hundreds of figures milling around the now-silent cop cars and red emergency vehicles that sat scattered willy-nilly all over the fields. It looked like a carnival scene with a fall fair crowd wandering quietly over the pitch in front of the immense craft. As they drew near, Steve guessed it as at least 200 feet up at its highest point, dwarfing the water tower.

Dee patted her hand on his chest and pointed at a few prople who were laying down on the green wet grass as if quietly resting.

Drawing closer, Steve indicated small individuals among the crowd. They looked like children, but noticably grey, naked and skinny, with huge heads.

A cop, hat off and his obviously empty gun holster flapping with each step, walked by them as if in a dream. A young girl, smiling from ear to ear, nodded at them, her eyes brimming with tears.

Steve glanced at Dee...

"Wasn't that Orville's girl Dana?"

Dee nodded.

"Geez, that's different. I always thought she was the sourest teen on the block"

As they drew nearer, they came upon a woman lying on the ground. Her face twisted in agony and pain. She was obviously dead, her panicked eyes staring straight up.

"Oh, my God!" Dee was shocked "all those people are dead, Steve! DEAD!!!"

The field was littered with them and people meandered among those bodies as if they were unaware of the horrible loss of life.

Then Dee saw a Grey staring at them and an immediate paralysis froze her to the spot. She could still feel Steve beside her in an unconscious way, but her attention was rivetted upon the large black eyes of the Grey. A flood of emotion ran through her. She felt a deep fear and then a searing flash of heat built inside her head, flooding her face amnd coursing down her neck and shoulders, down her chest and guts, burning her thighs and legs as she stood rooted to the spot, transfixed.

Those dark eyes searched her very soul, she thought, probing her innermost secret self, delving into every corner of her psyche, patting down her ego looking for dangerous weapons. The burning sensation flushed down and away from her body to be displaced by a liquid coolness rising from the ground and into her feet, then retracing the path the fire took all the way back up into her brain, suddenly flooded with an amazing and incomparable feeling of LOVE... love for the creature which still stood 30 feet away, watching her and Steve. Then she felt love flow between them like a river, streaming back and forth. A joy lifted her heart then and she felt like letting loose a flood of tears. The emotion blossomed, exploding across the field, She could see it spreading from her and saw other people and Greys, near and far, react to it by streaming the suddenly visible field of emotion back toward her.

Dee broke her eyes from the amazing scene and looked up into Steve's. He seemed as if he had just seen an angel, beaming as long years of toil and care melted from his face. He looked down at her and smiled, reminding her of the young man she had fallen in love with 40 years ago.

Dee and Steve turned then, arm in arm, weaving amid the bodies of those who had been too full of hate, too full of fear, too full of selfishness and greed to survive the deep pools behind those black almond alien eyes.

Life would be so different now, they both knew.

---------------------------------------
spelling edit

[edit on 3/10/07 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Masqua..Wow..Just Wow..You had me sitting on the edge of my seat from start to finish.Going to be tough to compete with that.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Ahh what can i say masqua......"Brilliant".

mojo.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Thanks, AD. Kind of a 'different' horror story, wasn't it?

Can we call that a happy ending or are all those 'enlightened' survivors now to be food for the Reptillian Overlords, sufficiently placated and pacified to accept becoming dinner?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

With an ending like that Masqua, you might have to come up with chapter two.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Oh masqua thankyou so much, I needed that story. You nailed it my friend, I vote no more stories needed here you took the cake. I love your writing style and the energy behind this story from the first word to the last.

Right on.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
awesome story Masqua, like AD said, sitting on the edge of my seat the whole story.

Roswell.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Now that some writting
I can truely say I amoung some of the greatest minds on the net today!! That story had me on the edge of my seat too!!! And at the end where they both know, thats so kewl!
That part kinda hit me in the heart too.. Ive felt that way to someone before in my life.. Thanks for sharing that, I can really pick up the vibe you manifested with that tale!

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Can we call that a happy ending or are all those 'enlightened' survivors now to be food for the Reptillian Overlords, sufficiently placated and pacified to accept becoming dinner?

Hey, that's a great ending too Masqua. Woeful, but good!
Tears moisturize the eyeballs.

Great story

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
very good story!!! Keep it goin

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Just wanted to stop back in and reread this story to see if it is still my favorite... Still.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
oh my god. I love the ambivalence of this. I really do believe that "vibes too high" can kill.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Wow, kind of Revelations meets Close Encounters. A sci-fi theme but amazingly creepy and ambivelant with a dash of the apocolyptic.

Rivetting stuff, well done.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Wow, that was fantastic. Very well written! I love it.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
You have a smooth writing style that is extremely easy to read.

There are many things that one can take from this story, it seems at first glance to be multi-tiered and open to interpretation.

Bravo, I had a blast reading it. Thank you for writing and sharing.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
A very smoothly flowing piece. An awesome read!

I too think: they're just checking for flavours they like!

MonKey

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Just wanted to stop in and wish you well with this wondeful story masqua. It is still the one that stands out for me in this contest and has all of the elements I love.

Happy Halloween my friend

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Nice work, masqua.

If I were Reptilian I would feel threatened by your intellect and eliminate you for sure!!

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
scary and inspirational...those two words don't sound right together yet they fit this story in an odd way. I enjoyed reading your work as always. Very well written.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Well done masqua, my favorite story out of a whole bunch of fantastic story's. As alway's, you ROCK!!.

mojo

new topics

top topics

join