It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans losing their right to vote on October 12th

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I understand what you mean by the electors in the electoral college vote in the percentage that the state did--I agree even, it just can't happen with the electoral college. I say this because, each person who is running for President submits a panel of electors for each states (ie, if I were running and you were as well, we'd each submit 27 people for Florida, 3 for DC, 3 for WY, etc) who are supposed to vote for you if you carry the state. These electors though have the ability to not vote for you but for the other guy and vote for another candidate instead. Basically, if it were to be Billary vs Fred Thompson running for President and Billary chose me as an elector for Florida and she won Florida, I could vote for Thompson. This would really interesting if an abstaining elector/elector who 'doesn't vote right' caused the winner on election night to actually lose because, you're technically not elected as President until the electoral college votes you in. Hope that makes sense.

I remember learning in my American History class a couple years ago, while I was still in high school, that in 2004 one of the electors for DC didn't vote for John Kerry [even though she's supposed to] as a protest because of DC not having any representation in the House or Senate [which I don't think it should, but that's another story].

Tom

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

Originally posted by evo80
reply to post by zakd619

i thought we lost our right to vote a long time ago. well, they still let us go fill out a form, but our votes dont REALLY count. remember how most of us "voted" for Gore but he didnt win?

all gore had to do to win was carry his home state of tenn. It's pretty bad when you can't carry your own home state

with that said, it's a crime the electoral college still exists. It was put in place originally to make sure the stupid public didn't elect anyone the elite wouldn't approve of. This country really needs to go to a simple majority vote

You have no concept of how the Electoral College works or why it was instituted. If there were no EC, the people of California and NY would elect the president and everybody elses votes would be meaninigless.

We do not live in a Democracy, we live in a Republic...look it up, understand the difference. Majority rule = Mob rule.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by RWPBR]

<< 1   >>

join