It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Military Nearly Impenetrable / Space Weapon Implications

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Chinese Military Nearly Impenetrable

China, meanwhile, is rapidly filling the skies with newer, Russian-made Sukhoi Su-27 "Flankers" and Su-30s, along with the domestically built J-10, a state-of-the-art fighter that Beijing just rolled out in January.

China has also improved its ballistic missile defenses and its ability to take the fight into space - as it proved in January by shooting down an old weather satellite at an orbital height similar to that used by the U.S. military.

"Our planes are much older than the planes they would be matched against," Wright said. "For the first time in history, we are seeing another nation, in this case China, with newer fighters than we have. We know that they continue to invest at a level that is unprecedented. We need to be watchful of Chinese military capabilities."

Military.com link

_/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-.

Fighter jet signals Chinas military advances

The latest fruit of a military modernization drive that has produced an indigenous Chinese nuclear attack submarine, early warning aircraft, frigates and destroyers, cruise missiles, and computerized command and control systems, the Jian-10 is "a decisive step by China toward becoming an aviation power," the official Xinhua news agency declared.

The plane is also a new symbol of China's role-reversal in the global arms industry. "Most technology analysts have been surprised by the speed with which China has gone from being an arms-buying country to one with real promise of being a producer of front-edge military technology," says Denny Roy, senior researcher at the Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies in Honolulu.

Link to source

_/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-._/"-.

Alarm Over Chinas Air Advances - In Space

The incident might involve tests of a solid-fuel rocket the Chinese are developing, Dr. Kulacki speculates. China tested an early model, dubbed the KT-1, in 2002 and 2003. The tests reportedly failed. But China has pressed ahead, developing a follow-up KT-2. It's a three-stage rocket designed to loft nearly 1,800 pounds into low-Earth orbit. Such a rocket would be capable of launching minisatellites aimed at disabling US satellites, he adds. Moreover, perfecting solid-fuel, multistage motors could also allow China to build smaller, antisatellite rockets that could be launched from a jet fighter - similar to the three-stage weapon the US tested in 1985.

Regardless of where one stands on the issue, "we should view this very seriously," says Larry Wortzel, chairman of the US-China Commission.

Link to source

Things are getting interesting very fast. I'm especially weary of the comment about their ability to go into space.. could this be considered an attempt to aggressively weaponize space? I mean shooting down a satellite seems like someone felt the need to flex them muscles. I don't see much good from this situation.

[edit on 3-10-2007 by deadline527]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527[...]
could this be considered an attempt to aggressively weaponize space? I mean shooting down a satellite seems like someone felt the need to flex them muscles. I don't see much good from this situation.
[edit on 3-10-2007 by deadline527]

Wait a second mate: the (space part of the) article says, that China:
a. can get up there
and b. can get high enough to endanger US satellites.

It does not prove (at least, not according to your quotes) that China is actually planning on going up into space to start a 'spacewar'.

Having said that, China did say that if the USA puts weapons into space, that China will feel threatened and be forced into putting their own weapons up there.
I personally hope, that no nations start putting weapons into space!
That means China or the USA!

Samuel

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
My apologies. I was addressing the fact that they have a fighter jet capable of high enough altitudes to shoot down satellites, hence space.

China has also improved its ballistic missile defenses and its ability to take the fight into space - as it proved in January by shooting down an old weather satellite at an orbital height similar to that used by the U.S. military.

That to me is potential aggressive actions in space.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Weapons have been in space sinc even before Reagan, his going public with the Star Wars* program was just a means to get more funding for the secret project. It was much publicised in order to gain support and hence, funding. The project needed funding, and Reagan was going to give them the budget required, but the money had to be on the books.

What better way to do so, than by making it a main focus.

$120 billion since 1962

The SDI

space-based kinetic kill vehicles (SBKKVs)

exoatmospheric kill vehicle (EKV)

Administration Documents

Alleged Fraud -U.S. Army's Space and Strategic Defense Command

Reagans speach

Wiki

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Very nice information Advisor! I am trying to keep this just about China and how much in my opinion our military has underestimated them. Who would of thought China has the capability to shoot down satellites? Has newer fighter jets then the US? and has an air defense system that none but one of our jets is able to penetrate, and its is not even in service yet.

Could this add merit to the 80,000 Chinese troops on Mexico boarder? Seems to me China is really gearing up for something big - and with 300,000,000 soldiers they can invade most countries throwing rocks and still win.

I'll be keeping an eye out for any newer articles relating to these while at work this weekend. I was surprised to have Military.com state that Chinas military is nearly impenetrable though - their credibility says a lot in my opinion.

Deadline out.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well, the whole point I was trying to make is, the info I posted is just what they want very one to know. The really good stuff is classified Top Secret, Sensitive Compartmentalised Information, or TS/SCI and above. Meaning, what is known is only in sections, not every thing is known at one time, exept through a higher clearance and need to know.

Take for example the aircraft with a laser for killing missiles mid flight. This thing can knock a nuke out from miles away. The military want's the world to know they have that, and that it has been under development for over a decade or two. I'll tell you right now, we have stuff w a y bette than what is publically known, and always will.

As for China and their tech, the stole most of it, and copied it with very cheap manufacturing. The stuff they make is worthless and will not hold up, it is too poorly constructed. The focus is on mass production and not quality. Which considering, it seems large numbes have an advantage, but in reality they don't. What good is the product if it is going to fal when it is needed most. Compared to another which is tested thoroughly before being passed by quality assurance.

China is on the right path, but they are behind none the less. I will give them credit for one thing though, they learned from the best, and are able to catch up, if they would refocus. In my opinion the only thing China has going for them, is the espionage game, they seem to have decent players.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

I have to disagree with you about China having newer and better jet fighters. Nothing can really compete with our current F18 and F18 Super Hornets. Nothing that is except our new F22 Raptor which can eat F18 for lunch and any other fighters out there.

top topics

join