It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if we are the only ones ??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Not sure at all if this has been brought up but , we all seem to think that some miracle is going to happen and an alien invasion or appearance will solve all the worlds problems .....

What if we ARE the only ones here or, we are the first species to reach a level of intelligence that we can transverse space ? We seem to be grabbing at the fairytale of someone or thing saving us from ourselves , AND if they are not there ????

I personally think were screwed and nothing is going to stop it ..

Docklands in his thread asked "will we still have to work if aliens invaded" What if we were the the ones finding a less advanced Civilisation?? what would we possibly do? being as i said before , if we were the most advanced how would we treat the underlings ???

I asked the same question in his thread and was hoping for some response which didnt happen , So , im throwing it wider ...

I am sorry if this has been covered before but i havent seen it , i just hope it sparks some thought out there ..

Regards to all

Git

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Lol, well I guess that if we're the only ones that exist in the universe with an level of intelligence, then we might as well have to expand by developing the other life forms like we're god - such as leaving them on other planets

Good post and question, I'd say.

[edit on 3-10-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I personally think that we are the only ones, as far as the possibility of physical, intelligent beings on other planets are concerned.

Where I disagree with you is where you say 'we are screwed'.

I believe that God Himself will intervene shortly, and bring this screwed up system to an end.

Of course, I realize that most people on here will probably disagree with me, and argue to the hilt about their own personal beliefs.

My opinion is this:

They don't want to consider the possibility of a God who is in control, and who designed all things for His own purpose.....yet they are quite willing to entertain any other number of possibilities.....whether it be aliens who will transport us to a higher level of consciousness......or the growth of the 'human potential' movement (with or without technology), which envisions a paradigm shift in human consciousness.....or the more mundane secular humanists who think that mankind will work out and overcome his own problems through other, human, means.

Either way, I think that everyone agrees that there is something on the horizon.

We will have to wait and see who was right in the end, eh?

I choose God's version of things.

People will choose in their own way. Only one will be right.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
We may be the only life form in the universe with enough intelligence to look for other life forms; or we may be just one of billions that have reached more or less the same technological level and so are unable (for now) to contact others; or we may be the first to reach that point; or we may be the only ones at the moment, after the disappearance of all the others.

In any case, I never thought of Aliens as some(one/thing) that would save us from anything. I always thought that if they exist and are near enough to interact with us they would not bother doing anything, even if it is in their power to do it.

If we want to get saved (from anything) we must do it for ourselves and stop waiting for a new messiah.

So, in conclusion, yes, I think that if we are expecting external help to solve our problems, then we are screwed.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I think that if we were to discover a less advanced life form in the future we should leave them alone so , Theone i believe i agree with you there!

Oldman , i respect your choice to choose religion and will not knock it in any way , but i personally find it hard to believe in a deity , an omnipresent being that can be everywhere ... If there was a god so full of love for mortal man why O why are we in such a state as we are ??

I would love to think there was an overseeing entity, well ok there is on this site, (thats my homage paid and thats all your getting ok) but i cannot convince myself of such ...

Thank you for your replies

Regards
Git

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Looking and reading a vast majority of posts and threads on here , it does seem to me that there is a hope that we will be saved from ourselves .

But i agree we must look at saving ourselves and stop clutching at the vain hope that someone HAS to rescue us.

Regards
Git

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by completenuttergit
What if we ARE the only ones here or, we are the first species to reach a level of intelligence that we can transverse space ?

Well I for one would be very disappointed because just using basic logic you have to assume with the vastness of space that there has to be other civilizations.

Wasn't it Carl Sagan who said “Well, if there wasn’t, it’d be an awful waste of space.” True!

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Yes true , But "WHAT IF" ? we were the most advanced, and not ,as a lot of people hope, the least advanced ? where are we going to go? WE really do have to sort ourselves out , but i do agree with you on the Sagan comment ... I think Tom Baker was the best too ...

Care for a Jelly Baby

Regards

Git

[edit on 3-10-2007 by completenuttergit]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Whilst I think that it's a certainty that there is intelligent life out there somewhere, I'm not too sure that they'd be capable of travelling the vast distances to get here, regardless of how advanced they are.
So in reality, we might as well be by ourselves.

Yes, I think something is about to happen but we shouldn't look to the skies and expect help from there, even if they are here, why the hell should they save us, we made this mess, it's our responsibility to fix it.
Maybe if we're capable of that then they might make contact.

As for divine intervention, it would be nice, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan

What if we ARE the only ones here or, we are the first species to reach a level of intelligence that we can transverse space ?

Well I for one would be very disappointed because just using basic logic you have to assume with the vastness of space that there has to be other civilizations.

Wasn't it Carl Sagan who said “Well, if there wasn’t, it’d be an awful waste of space.” True!

It depends on the reason for why space exists. If its for life, then yes I would agree with that comment. That is a very biased comment, but coming from something that is alive, it is to be expected.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Hello me ol mucker!! Glad u could make it to the party lol ..

If we were being watched they probably thinking ok its their mess let them sort it out ... but what if it was the other way around and we were watching what would we do ?? Prob think , ok , while they're not looking go get their oil and gold and grab a few tinnies on the way back!! and sit back and watch them self destruct , did u bring the camera??

Regards fella

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Yes true , But "WHAT IF" ? we were the most advanced, and not ,as a lot of people hope, the least advanced ? where are we going to go? WE really do have to sort ourselves out , but i do agree with you on the Sagan comment ... I think Colin Baker was the best too ...

Care for a Jelly Baby

Regards

Git

The 4th Doctor was Tom Baker, the one with the curly hair and long scarf. That was insulting!
But yes, I would like a Jelly Baby.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Dammit ! I realised my mistake whilst i was making coffee and rushed back to edit it but you saw it ... a thousand lashes for me , Tom was by far the best ..

Hunmble regards

Git

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by completenuttergit

Now Marra,

What we do?
Well the Muslims would declare Jihad against them because they are infidels.
The Israeli's would declare them The Lost Tribe Of Israel and start settlements there.
We, The Brit's would just try to screw them over for every penny we could whilst proclaiming we were doing it for their benefit.
The Vatican would declare it the 3rd Secret of Fatima and lay claim to their souls.

Oh, and the American's would sit on the fence whilst it was all going pear shaped then when they knew which side was going to win they would ride in on their dazzling white steeds and help guide them to victory and then declare that if it wasn't for them we'd all be speaking Zorgonese!

I guess what i'm trying to say is that we'd make a mess of that world as well through our own ignorance and vanity.
Same doo da, different planet.

p.s.
If i've left creed or nationality out then please let me know and i'm sure i'll be able to offend you as well.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
it's a good question, I dont believe in God and I dont believe aliens could travel the vast distances needed to reach our planet but I do think we will do just fine, maybe not all of us but humans in some form or another, life will stroll along as usual and with or without us the world will keep spinning the stars keep shining and maybe somewhere questions still being asked. The world ends everyday for many people, so its best not to worry about the inevitable but enjoy every moment now

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Bloke

Would you suppose that , IF , we found them , they would have their own religion ? or what if they live in a society without any religious beliefs and totally reject anything that we bring to them? also on the other foot ,if they came here and found us , would they expect us to follow their religious beliefs ? if they have them , And how would you think Christianity and Islam would react to the supression of their religion ?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The probability that we are alone in the universe is slim to none. The thought that we are alone is discouraging, but the only real reason we believe that is because our known technology isn't advanced enough to go very far.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Old Man

I'd have to agree. I'm glad that there still are people in England who believe in the Bible. Of course the Bible does not rule out the existence of extraterrestrial life and even asserts the existence of interdimensional life (e.g. angels).

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by completenuttergit

I suspect that all intelligent species will develop the notion of religion at some point in their development.
Whether or not they are still religous would depend on
a) Is there really an entity called God and what their perception of God is.
b) Does their God require them to go out and convert the world, as some Christian and Islamic fundamentalists believe their God requires them to.

If they visited us then I suppose it would depend on their objectives in visiting us.
If they were aggresive, predatory types who wanted slaves etc religion would be irrelevant.
If their religion is evangelical by nature then I think they could either try to convert by preaching or by suppression.

They could of course be atheists, agnostic or tolerant and benevelant, in which case they wouldn't really be bothered in earthly religions.

I suspect that if aliens are here already then they must be benevolent because if they weren't they would have taken action against us already.
If that is so then if they are religous they must be tolerant.

How would earth religions react upon disclosure, I honestly wouldn't like to second guess and suspect it would differ from religion to religion.
One thing's foe certain, The Vatican has it's response planned and I suspect so will most leading religous bodies.

I think that's just a long winded way of saying I haven't got a scooby marra.

I just think that if aliens are out there and they were hostile, they would have invaded or done something by now.
The fact they haven't suggests to me that they are either not here at all, which in turn leads me to think they never will be, or, they are benevolent and tolerant and are waiting for something to happen before they reveal themselves.

For me, God and Religion is a personal thing which I am very reluctant to discuss.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
reply to post by Old Man

I'd have to agree. I'm glad that there still are people in England who believe in the Bible. Of course the Bible does not rule out the existence of extraterrestrial life and even asserts the existence of interdimensional life (e.g. angels).

Of course the Bible makes it quite clear that there are spiritual entities out there.

I don't think that I would call them 'interdimensional beings', as the meaning is commonly understood.

Trouble is (as has happened for millennia)...people mistake contact with these 'beings' as somehow being conducive to their well-being.....higher, ascended 'masters', and the like.

These are nothing but fallen angels.

I have studied the Bible for approximately the past two decades. Before that, I was something of an 'adept' in the occult world......really making things 'happen'....so to speak.

I would warn people off such things. And I am not the first to do so.

Spiritual beings are highly intelligent, possessing far more intelligence and power than we do.

But, of course, in these days of 'enlightenment', people will not take heed or pay any attention.

And, of course, there are many here in England who believe in the Bible.

A lot of them through personal experience.

I wonder why???

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join