It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most frustrating rock bands of all time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The most frustrating rock bands of all time

I’ve picked bands that in one way or another are “frustrating” because of the way they achieved something great, then either quickly or gradually fell apart.

1. Guns ‘N’ Roses

In the 1980’s, New Wave was dead, pop was ruled by a revived disco thanks to Madonna, and what passed for hard rock was a very pop-oriented brand of metal, played as much for the chicks as the dudes. Into this scene came Guns ‘N’ Roses, all sweaty and tattooed biker types making REAL metal music for a change. From the hard-edged balladry of “Sweet Child o’ Mine” to the in-your-face metal of “Welcome to the Jungle,” Guns ‘N’ Roses saved rock and roll. They were perfect for the segment of the audience that sincerely missed being bludgeoned by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath…all of whom were past their prime in the Eighties.

So what the heck happened? Internal squabbles among the volatile personalities in the band, problems on tour, and increasingly mediocre albums caused the group to implode. When Axl Rose swam with the dolphins, most fans knew it was over.

How could the band that saved rock have turned into a pumpkin so quickly?

2. Nirvana

In the early 1990’s this band single-handedly put an end to Eighties Hair Metal with their album “Nevermind” and the song “Smells Like Teen Spirit”. At last, a so-called “alternative” rock band proved it could be a commercial success without compromising what many considered an “anti-social” sound and outlook. The band defined the sound known as Grunge, and paved the way for other bands from the Seattle area, chief among them being Pearl Jam. The movement was so successful that even bands like Stone Temple Pilots, which hailed from California and didn’t really fit the Grunge label, were lumped in with Nirvana.

So what the heck happened? A couple of albums later singer Kurt Cobain was dead and the band was history. Ironically, the drummer from Nirvana has gone on to arguably greater success in the Foo Fighters, a band nowhere near as revolutionary as Nirvana.

3. The Pretenders

Their monumental debut album showed a band so tight you could bounce a quarter off its sound. Chrissie Hynde had been a rock critic before The Pretenders, and quickly showed potential detractors that there was no truth to the adage “those who can’t do, criticize.” The album spawned the hits “Brass in Pocket” and a cover of the Kinks’ song “Stop Your Sobbing.” It was one of the first albums that proved punk sensibilities and raw, fast playing could produce commercially successful albums.

So what the heck happened? The second album was a disappointment. The Pretenders proved that a band “spends its entire life perfecting its first album, then only six months making its second.” Band members quit and/or died. Subsequent albums had a more “pop” sound. Truth in advertising should have forced the band to change its name to “Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders”, since ultimately no other members of the original band remained.

4. The Velvet Underground

What can you say about a band that changes styles with every album? In 1967 they released the groundbreaking, if over-rated, avante garde album “The Velvet Underground and Nico”. While the rest of the world was listening to the soundtrack to the Summer of Love, the Velvet Underground reminded us that there was an ugly side to life.

Many songs were odes to heroin addicts, sadomasochism, and a host of other controversial subjects. Others were beautiful, or at least listenable, pop songs. Violins screeched; Lou Reed’s girlfriend Nico was a frog-voiced vocalist that sounded like something out of a very dark independent film. All this, and an Andy Warhol album cover too. Surely these folks were going to be on the cutting edge for some time to come. Almost every punk and New Wave band of the Seventies and Eighties would cite them as an influence.

So what the heck happened? Each subsequent album was completely different stylistically, from the white noise and feedback metal of “White Light, White Heat” to the VERY subdued and gentle “Velvet Underground” to the pop-sensible “Loaded.”

Potential fans must have felt frustrated—if you loved the style of one Velvet Underground album, you might have purchased others only to get an unpleasant surprise.

5. The Rolling Stones

Their one great achievement? Why, to be the “World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band,” of course. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, most critics argue that the band’s creativity and quality of musical expression in the Sixties was second only to the Beatles. While other bands experimented and gradually moved away from simple three-guitars-and-a-drum-kit, the Rolling Stones remained true to what is considered ROCK AND ROLL.

So what the heck happened?

They got old and lost their edge. The trouble is, longevity does not necessarily translate to quality, and the classic Rolling Stones albums of the late Sixties and Early Seventies have been gradually forgotten amid the continual release of more and more mediocre material. If “Let It Bleed”, “Beggars Banquet”, “Sticky Fingers”, and “Aftermath” were as classic as any rock album can be, then almost all of the group’s late Seventies, Eighties, and Nineties albums are simply unnecessary. At least the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and a host of other bands saw fit to call it quits while doing some of their best work.

The Stones? Retire already, will ya?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

They were perfect for the segment of the audience that sincerely missed being bludgeoned by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath…all of whom were past their prime in the Eighties.

Um, you may want to check out DP's Perfect Strangers and Slaves and Masters. Some of their best stuff. The ONLY 70's band that survived the 80's imo. Even my fav(Queen) sucked in the early 80's. See Radio Ga-Ga.

ZZTop did OK in the 80's but they went backwards imo.

Most frustrating band for their fans? I'd have to go with Pink Floyd. The Waters/Gilmour spat are killing their fans.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
two words..

rage against the machine

well whatever..

they layed some great music down when they were together.. arguably the best rock band of the 90's and easily my favorite rock band of all time.. yea, i said it.. ALL TIME

then they just split.. zach was supposed to have a solo hip-hop album and i was really lookin' forward to that but that was like 5 years ago, doesn't look like it's going to happen..

hopefully RATM has one more album up their sleeve, i know a lot of people would appreciate it

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The Jam.
For all that Weller has gone on to record some quality tunes both with The Style Council and as a solo artist, he has never recaptured the power and passion of The Jam.
To be fair, perhap's he doesn't want to.

But what I, and thousands like me, would give to see him re-united with Bruce & Rick, both touring and recording fresh material.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
The Jam.
For all that Weller has gone on to record some quality tunes both with The Style Council and as a solo artist, he has never recaptured the power and passion of The Jam.
To be fair, perhap's he doesn't want to.

But what I, and thousands like me, would give to see him re-united with Bruce & Rick, both touring and recording fresh material.

I LOVED the Jam circa "This is the Modern World".

One of my favorite lines was from "A-Bomb in Wardour Street":

"Rape and murder throughout the land,
and they tell you that you're still a free man.
If this is freedom, I don't understand,
cuz it seems like madness to me."

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Zane Zackerly

Paul Weller was 17years old when he wrote most of these songs, amazing insight for one so young.
He is a true genius.

The Jam - In The Streets / A Bomb In Wardour Street / Billy Hunt

imo, despite writing and recording so many classics, this is still Weller's greatest moment. (He's crap at miming though!)

The Jam - Down In The Tubestation At Midnight

The Jam - Modern World

The Jam - Strangetown

And hey, what the hell, one more.
The Jam - The Butterfly Collector

Allegedly about Sue Catwoman?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by The Phantom

Didn't Rage Against The Machine just get back together?

I have another one. Pantera.

Phil Anselmo's back and drug problems along with his good old fashioned case of "Lead singers disease" or what some may call "The Diva Syndrome" helped to tear this great band apart.

I think "Lead singers disease" has a big hand in what happened to Guns N' Roses as well. Let's face it, Axl really does think way too highly of himself. He had no respect really for his fellow band members, other bands, or his fans for that matter.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

well, I'm aware of them playing a few shows together, like Rock the bells and maybe some other ones but as far as them officially being back together.. i don't know about that..

i guess time will tell and we'll have to see if another album is ever released

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
RATM are back together their playing the big day out gigs in jan08.Ive heard they are making a new album but at the moment thats just haresay.

Metallica
Most frustrating ever.The first four albums in the eighties ripped,way ahead of their time IMO.1990 hits WTF happened.From the black album onwards its just rubbish it seriously makes me cringe.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The media made up the whole grunge(just a common word for dirty in the NW)scene, there was no scene in Seattle. Just general Northwest Sludge metal based off of Punk, playing in seedy clubs, locals being normal with their rock bands...etc. The record companies promoted general rock and "alternative" bands from other locals that didn't even reflect a "grunge" sound. Companies basically capitalized to death the whole thing. Not to ,mention, no wonder why Kurt had even more problems. Meanwhile people of the "Seattle Scene" scoffed and made fun of the media.
---------
GNR, seems/seemed more like a pop culture MTV parody of what "real" metal can be.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
The media made up the whole grunge(just a common word for dirty in the NW)scene, there was no scene in Seattle. Just general Northwest Sludge metal based off of Punk, playing in seedy clubs, locals being normal with their rock bands...etc. The record companies promoted general rock and "alternative" bands from other locals that didn't even reflect a "grunge" sound. Companies basically capitalized to death the whole thing. Not to ,mention, no wonder why Kurt had even more problems. Meanwhile people of the "Seattle Scene" scoffed and made fun of the media.

Well, this is true. It was a marketing term; "gotta call it something."

There was no such thing as "New Wave", either. No one has ever come up with much of a definition of New Wave, other than "it came after punk."

top topics

join