It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Corneas Give Hope to the Blind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Another medical marvel is on the horizon my fellow ATS'rs. From the same people that brought us the mp3, comes potential salvation for the blind in the form of an artificial cornea.

This item has already been tested on lab rabbits and the results have been very promising.

My guess is that these would not be available to humans for about another 5 years, but then, does that mean that we will be able to eliminate blindness? Cross your fingers.

Artificial Corneas

Our artificial corneas are based on a commercially available polymer which absorbs no water and allows no cells to grow on it," says IAP project manager Dr. Joachim Storsberg.

...We lay masks on them and apply a special protein to the edge of the cornea, which the cells of the natural cornea can latch onto. In this way, the cornea implant can firmly connect with the natural part of the cornea, while the center remains free of cells and therefore clear...What is special about this protein is that it can survive the later thermal sterilization of the artificial cornea without being damaged, as it does not have the three-dimensional structure typical of large proteins.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Haven't read into the article just yet, just thought I'd chime in straight away!

I have an eyesight condition where my cornea formed wrong - I can see, fairly well compared to some, but would like a new set of corneas please!

My condition at present does not really necessitate a traditional corneal transplant yet, and it probably will not develop to that point.

But if it did at present it requires someone to give theirs up, and you can't (usually) just ask any one alive! (p.s. corneal transplants are the safest transplant as their is no blood transfer so no rejection.)

But this is also cool as this could be the first step to implanting display devices in the eye - your own HUD - that would rock. You could do it with a contact lens but I would loose that.

join