It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loch Ness Monster Was A Circus Elephant?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is my first post on ATS so go easy....

I've been doing some research into the Loch Ness Monster and i've found this great scenario of what it could be. Don't know if anyones suggested this on here. Last night I was lying in bed thinking of Nessie (as you do) and before I went to bed that night i seen a documentary on elephants which showed them in the water.....

Uncanny isn't it..

Now reading the article which accompanies the picture this is stated...

And there's one more wrinkle in this elephantine mystery. In 1933 a circus promoter in the area—acting perhaps on inside information that the monster was really a big top beast—offered a rich reward for Nessie's capture, says Clark, a curator at the Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery in Glasgow.

Case closed??

I Don't know but, I'd want a monster under there than a circus elephant.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Well, this scenario has already been suggested a few times in history.

One of the reasons they made this claim is because of the circusses that used to go to the area of Loch Ness (not exactly sure why) and have their elephants bade in the Loch... this was something that happened at least multiple times in the thirties and there are people claiming that they are the cause of an increasing amout of nessie reports in the thirties.

Also, the photo of the swimming elephant you compared with the famous Nessie photo is proven to be fake. I believe the maker of the pic even admitted that himself...

anyway, what you're thinking is pretty possible, but not in modern days anymore, i don't think any elephants swim around in Loch Ness anymore.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RenegadePsycho

I agree that it is a circus elephant and I have known this for quite some time.
No doubt the monotonous aquatic creature theory will still continue to be persued by the die hard theorists - an avenue that has been explored to its tedious end.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whatever anyone believes does not really matter in the short or long term
because the myth will continue and the Scottish Tourist Board will benefit from the revenue generated by the myth.

Wig

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It has for some time been known that particular picture is a hoax and was done using a toy submarine, The photograper admitted it on his deathbed.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
excactly, it was not an elephant, because the maker admitted that he set the whole thing up himself.

I can however see why people would embrace this elephant theory

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Has anyone ever tried to recreate the same scenario of the photo in question? Did the guy actually say WHAT kind of toy submarine he used or anything? He might have wanted to kill the legend of nessie with him.

I find it hard to believe that it is a toy submarine.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

You guys see what i'm talking about?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadePsycho
Has anyone ever tried to recreate the same scenario of the photo in question? Did the guy actually say WHAT kind of toy submarine he used or anything? He might have wanted to kill the legend of nessie with him.

I find it hard to believe that it is a toy submarine.

Yes, the so-called 'Surgeon's Photo' has been throughly debunked in recent years, so much so that literally nobody accepts it as valid evidence these days. I found a site from PBS's Nova program detailing how the photo was taken, and the Sun newspaper in Canada recently ran a great article on Loch Ness that featured photos of a recent recreation of the picture, right down to the exact model of toy submarine that was used.

Link to the Nova page:

www.pbs.org...

Cryptozoology really is a fascinating subject, but I'm sad to report that the Surgeon's photo is nothing more than an elaborate hoax designed in part to make the Daily Mail look silly.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
CUTE!...excellent thread!. i love it when people think out of the box and come up with origina ways to look at an old question. the similarities are definetely there.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS and thanks for the post. While others here obviously have, I have before heard of this idea. The pic that you provided outlines it perfectly.

However, haven't there been accounts of sightings in which there is no head/trunk above the water, but merely the humps of the creature? I'd imagine that elephants can hold their breath, but I wonder how the elephant hypothesis holds up to the "humps only" sightings.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
My Opinion

The Loch-ness monster is probably a giant snake, many legends of giant snakes

have persisted through the years and although I'm just guessing, I think my

guess sounds pretty good.

But theres always the possiblity of it being nothing at all to some sort of

Dinosaur or giant reptile of some sort

But thats my opinion

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
My opinion on the Loch Ness monster is that the legend was created long ago, much like other legends, to throw us off the existence of sasquatch/yeti, the human "missing link".

Peace

[edit on 5-10-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
My Opinion

Maybe it's just a rouse like you say!!!

I like your opinion but I still think it may be a giant snake of some sort.

but hey i'm only right half the time if even that.

my opinion

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Ummm... Would an elephant even be able to hold it head under water and swim, let alone be trained to hold it's trunk up while doing so?

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prozac Heart
Ummm... Would an elephant even be able to hold it head under water and swim, let alone be trained to hold it's trunk up while doing so?

Actually elephants are amazingly good swimmers. Like so:
Click here to see elephants swim

The Nessie is an elephant theory is a quite popular theory. It might explain the Surgeon’s Photo (which was supposedly admitted by the photographer to be a hoax), but Nessie goes way beyond the image of the “long-necked out of water" image. Most eyewitnesses describe Nessie as "an overturned boat" or "like a whale’s back." Tim Dinsdale footage taken near Foyers on April 23, 1960, for example, does not show an elephant’s trunk, but the enormous back of a large water-based cryptid. And what about the Robert Rines "flipper"?

Nessie goes back hundreds of years, the earliest known report occurred in the Life of St. Columba by Adamnan, written around the 7th century. It describes how in 565 Columba saved the life of a Pict, who was supposedly being attacked by the monster. The biggest increase in sightings was in the 1930's...

So either there is a huge herd of elephants around lake Loch - which has been there for centuries -, which no-one has seen, except for the trunks while they're swimming, or there is a single elephant which is really, really old... (And has only been seen as a "trunk" swimming around the lake.) Well, that, or the elephant theory is just too full of holes to float.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
this is a nice theory but this would in no way prove that nessy does not exist due to more recent sightings

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Never thought it was possible for Nessie to be an elephant. Too much open space around the Loch. An elephant would be easy to spot in the shallows. However, I also thought elephants were a good candidate for the Mokele-Mbembe in Lake Tele in East Africa.

join