It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NyTimes:Missile Defense System is up and running

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I've heard differing stories about this system.. Some claim that it is a piece of junk, while others claim that it is far more superior than the military lets on..
Bases in Poland and Czech Rep?
no wonder the Russians are pissed..Theyll get over it

Source

WASHINGTON, Oct. 2 — After a successful test last week, the tracking radars and interceptor rockets of a new American missile defense system can be turned on at any time to respond to an emerging crisis in Asia, senior military officers said Tuesday.

Gen. Victor E. Renuart Jr., the senior commander for defense of United States territory, said that the antimissile system could guard against the risk of ballistic missile attack from North Korea even while development continues on a series of radars in California and the Pacific Ocean and on interceptor missiles in Alaska and California.

Mod Edit: Please follow the quoting guidelines

[edit on 10/3/07 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Oh Snap here we go again something to make the Russians paranoid.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The Patriot Missile System did not work. Who knows if this one does? The guys who are supposed to make sure they work are getting payed off by the manufacturers.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Anytime I read or hear about this topic I think about those 22 dead SDI scientists - maybe there is more to it!

Here's the link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
You wonder who put the bee's in the Russians bonnet. There are what 12 interceptors. Thats good for a total of 6 count them 6 missiles. Two are lofted for each engagment in case the first one misses.

So six of the 500+ missiles get intercepted. So lets see the rubble does not get bounced in 6 cities. WooooooHoooooo

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Mod Edit: Please follow the quoting guidelines

I thought I did FredT? What did I do wrong?

I believe we probably have more interceptors than what is being advertised.
It would kind of defeat its purpose if they went public saying we have X many interceptors primed and ready.
With that knowledge, a potential enemy could just fire more than X..

Anyway, they are claiming that it is being used for countries like N.Korea or possibly Iran who would only have one or two missiles to fire.

top topics

join