Scary Short Story Contest - Winners Announced!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It's October.... Be it Halloween, or longer nights that inspires you, now is the time to come up with a spooky, bone chilling story.

It was dark and cold October night, the wind howled, swirling around the house, gaining entrance through tiny crevices and wailing through the halls like a weeping woman. Branches, bare of leaves tapped impatiently at the window and seem to warn yet threaten at the same time. The candles flickered as the wind once again found entrance into the room where a lone soul huddled in corner, back against the wall, awaiting an obviously feared and much dreaded companion to make its appearance. A blood curdling scream pierced the still night and within seconds a ghastly sight appeared in the room. He carried with him the remains of woman whose last scream was still resonating in the halls. Standing tall and dark, his presence encompassed the room, the figure in the corner shrunk smaller and meek voice was heard to whisper, "Welcome home, dark master".

Did that get you in the mood? I hope so, because this month's short story contest is all about the scary stuff, the paranormal, the unknown. The mysteries, legends and curses all associated with the most frightening night of the year, the night when the veil between worlds are at it's thinnest and mortals celebrate and pay reverence to the dead. All Hallow's Eve or Halloween, has been the source of inspiration for many chilling tales and there is nothing better than a good scare on our traditional fright night.

For this contest, your scary short story should be no less than 500 words
Other than that I give you free reign to be creative. Just don't plagiarize, remember to use the writing tools provided in this forum and have fun.

Contest ends on October 28th at midnight EST, Winners Announced on October 31st.

First Place: 15,000 ATS points
Second Place: 10,000 ATS points
Third Place: 7,000 ATS points

Popular Vote: 5,000 ATS points
(*Entry with the most stars)So vote for your favorite entry.

Include (SSSC) in the title of your thread, so that it may be topped for the contest

Forgot to add, that anyone can enter this contest, and of course "Writer" status will be given to anyone who submits an entry.
Max. 3 entries per member

[edit on 10-3-2007 by worldwatcher]

[edit on 10-31-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Oh Worldwatcher Iam so on this one...The last time I wrote a scary story was for English class years ago...the teacher thought it so well written she read it to the other 3 classes as an example.Whew, this should be interesting...gotta get those gears churning again...
Thanks for the opportunity.

Where is my pen and paper....

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Count me in World watcher! Your promo up there scared the poop out of me as it is so close to an actual experience in my life, keep going on it and let me know where I can go to read it! I told masqua yesterday that I was already sharpening the quills, I love spooky stories and with the level of writers here its bound to be very very scary.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Just a question..because I have two ideas...are we limited to one entry only?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
alright here goes

"i woke up and went to work."

(scariest short story i could think of...how short did you want this scary story?)

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hmmm.. I'll say max 3 entries per member. That way you writers can tap into different aspects of your spooky side

Nothing less than 500 words for this short story.

[edit on 10-3-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thank you ,I was having trouble choosing between the two.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well, I'm in. I haven't entered a story contest in a while, so this should be a good exercise for me.

I can never tell whether I'm more excited to write a story, or read the stories other members submit...

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Well, there we go. I got my first story up a minute ago.

I hope you enjoy it. I'll have at least one more on the way for the contest.

Oh, and I had a little fun with the title of this one.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
A question. How loose is the T&C in this as it relates to bad language?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
We touched on this before, I'll allow certain words (don't circumvent the censors) that may be needed for emphasis. However don't over do it, I won't allow a story that every other word has to be censored. A carefully placed profane word can be essential to telling a story, so use it sparingly and there won't be an issue.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
...don't over do it, I won't allow a story that every other word has to be censored.

Dang. I want to see Intrepid do his best Tarantino impression.

"**** that, mutha***** it's ****in' Halloween, *****. Carve the ****in' **** out of that mutha****in' pumpkin, *****."

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Ooooooooo, I'm all over this one.

I wrote a story after last years just for this one, so I'd have something decent to submit. I hope I can at least get in the honorable mentions this year.

I'm all ready for it too. I have my scary avatar and everything.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Happy All Hallow's Eve.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Damn!! I will agree that is a scary avatar!!!More competition...geez...

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
told me tell you all to read his entry

[edit on 10-5-2007 by worldwatcher]

[edit on 5-10-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
very nice folks, keep them coming. and don't forget to vote for your favorite story by giving it a star.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm working on it now worldwatcher. Promise, I won't let you down this time.

Dumb question......Do you have a link where I post my short story when I'm finished with it?

[edit on 10/7/2007 by MountainStar]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
mountain star just click on "new thread" in this forum.

and don't worry as long as you have (SSSC) in the title, we'll be able to move it to the right place if you put it in the wrong place.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Just a heads up:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It would be terrible if we lost a story because of something like this.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Alright gang, got my second story up a second ago. Hope you enjoy it!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join