It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun's Evil Twin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

When the end of the world comes, we'll know what to blame. Scientists have found compelling evidence that the Sun has a baby brother, a dark star whose eccentric orbit is responsible for periodically showering the Earth with comets and meteorites.

The dark star - named Nemesis by astronomers - is thought to be a "brown dwarf" that spins round the Sun in an orbit so large it is measured in light years, the distance light travels in a year, equivalent to about 6,000 billion miles.

The research suggests that, every 26m years, the star's eccentric orbit brings it within one light year of the solar system. There it causes havoc in the Oort Cloud, a huge region surrounding the solar system that contains billions of bits of cosmic rubble left over from the formation of planets.

Of the millions of rocks it throws out of orbit at each visit, some hurtle Earthwards - and have several times nearly wiped out life on Earth.

This has much evidence and should be considered. Has anyone else heard about this?

Hidden Twin!

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Sensationalist writing suitable for a supermarket tabloid. "Compelling evidence" my behind. Nemesis has only been postulated to explain the periodicity in extinction level events. Right now it's existence is only being inferred. Not saying it's not possible that Nemesis exists, but this sort of writing really puts me off.

What a way to twist the scientists' words.

Edit: Here are some less sensational articles that talk about this subject in a more objective manner:

BBC: The Tenth Planet
Wiki: Nemesis (star)

[edit on 2-10-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
maybe a way to slowly state planet nibiru is actually there?

a way to explain it off?

who knows

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

my bad.... just thought it was an interesting article..

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zakd619

Don't worry, I'm not pissed off at you. I'm pissed off at people hyping up things in this way and misrepresenting the data, like the author of the article you linked.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

From what I've read about the Nibiru, it apparently crossed into the inner-solar system (which seems highly unlikely...but for argument's sake...) so that would make Nemesis an unlikely candidate, since it doesn't get any closer than beyond the Oort cloud at the icy edges of our star system.

Edit: grammar

[edit on 2-10-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

touche

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   

From what I've read about the Nibiru, it apparently crossed into the inner-solar system (which seems highly unlikely...but for argument's sake...) so that would make Nemesis an unlikely candidate, since it doesn't get any closer than beyond the Oort cloud at the icy edges of our star system.

Nibiru is certainly a myth. Any planet sized object that had an orbit which took it through the inner Solar System would cause absolute havoc that would be relatively easy to identify.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I was talking with one of my colleagues at the University about this very thing. He has found many Brown Dwarfs, and thought that this (Nemisis) was very unlikely.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
re nibiru it is supposed to be causing the heating that all the planets are experiencing right now, as well as causing much tumult in its previous flybys, the fall of atlantis, the great flood, and during its last flyby in moses' time. no, nemesis definitely not nibiru. for a sec when i first saw this i thought of nemesis as a possibility for nibiru's sun, but obviously its way too far away

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget

Nibiru is certainly a myth. Any planet sized object that had an orbit which took it through the inner Solar System would cause absolute havoc that would be relatively easy to identify.

Well now that would depend on its orbital path, and the time it takes to finish a rotation :p

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I apologize if this has been covered already as I am new to ATS...but there is a book about "Nemesis" that I remember reading years ago as a physics major in college. If I recall correctly the book was by an author named "Muller" and it was titled, "Nemesis The Death Star". Also, if I recall correctly, the book posited a "twin" star to our Sun in an elliptical orbit wreaks destruction on our planet ever so many millions of years. While I remember this book being an interesting read, I don't remember it being exceptionally convincing, but it's been many years since I read it, so it was interesting enough to remember!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
do you know how highly impossible it would be for an 'orbit' to be measured in light-years?
the sun does not have anywhere near the mass to have anything to orbit that far hahaha

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's an interesting notion....... I recall reading the same book at one time, and feeling that the theoretical physics was a bit ...... smushy. On the other hand, binary stars are quite common in the cosmos. The sun wouldn't necessarily have to "capture" the other star, they would ........ dance. A Wu Li thing. Thanks for the topic. Good read.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
It's an interesting notion....... I recall reading the same book at one time, and feeling that the theoretical physics was a bit ...... smushy. On the other hand, binary stars are quite common in the cosmos. The sun wouldn't necessarily have to "capture" the other star, they would ........ dance. A Wu Li thing. Thanks for the topic. Good read.

yes thats true, binary stars are actually thought to be more common than single starred solar systems =)

however, the other star would have to be SO much closer to the sun than what ever these people keep babbling about,

Stick with the most accepted idea that Jupiter was meant to be the secondary star in our solar system, but it failed and thus remained a gas giant

top topics

join