It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empathic Tendencies? Need Help.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Let me preface this by saying that I will greatly appreciate any sincere input, and or advice for me given the situation.

As far back as I can remember I have had what can be considered "empathic" abilities, though I wasn't aware of the term, nor did I really think I was abnormal as a child. I have always been able to tell exactly what people around me were feeling and couldn't help but feel those emotions as well. Most of my childhood experiences can to some extent be nothing more than being an intuitive person who could understand how someone felt by telltale signs. Whether it be body language, facial expressions etc. All of that can be explained away..... that much I understand.

During my mid teenage years I began to become aware of the nature of auras, I could feel them, sense the type of aura someone would have, even if I could not see them visually as some people can. Also slowly I became aware of residual energy from people, and the type of mood the last occupant of a room was even if they had been long gone. I could also sense spirits.... good, bad, or neutral, I could not see them, but I could tell someone exactly where they are, etc. For whatever reason the negative spirits would flee from me. As far as I know, I don't have any way to protect myself should one decide to do something to me, nonetheless the would leave as if the devil himself were coming to take them away. Being raised by a Christian father, I obviously consulted him on some of the stranger events that occurred in my life... including the fact that nothing seriously bad has ever happened to me despite situations that could have left me dead or at the very least left with multiple broken bones (haven't broken a bone to date). Basically whenever something seems to be boil down to chance, things always seem to fall in my favor. My father's explanation for it all, after consulting with senior members of the church and praying extensively, is that God has a purpose for me in the end times, and "evil" spirits flee from me because my soul is "bubbling over" with the holy spirit, and that God would make me capable of things that most people can't imagine. Considering I'm a shintoist now, I don't subscribe to such beliefs but I have always kept that in the back on my mind, because I always found that it was kind of odd.

Now starting that about the age of 21, my apparent abilities expanded dramatically. I could sit in a food court, and sense the personalities, thoughts and auras of everyone in the general area. I could tell you at least three thing about everyone in sight, and 19 out of 20 times I would be absolutely correct. This would be about the hobbies people enjoy, what kind of homelife they have, or simply their current mood, etc. I couldn't read thoughts per se, just get the gist of what they were thinking. Kinda like watching a cat move under a blanket. You might not be able to have a full view of what is moving around, but you can damn well tell that it is a cat.

About two years later, my wife (an Egyptian pagan) and I began to frequent a (abandoned) haunted house. The garage itself had such a strong sadness to it that I would fall to me knees out of weakness and begin weeping. There was an obvious vortex on the front porch, and it seems apparent that some Satanists opened something that they couldn't control. My wife has attempted to close it numerous times. On one visit, I was at the top of the stairs, and an entity (obviously female) got right up in my face and told me "You need to leave, you can't possibly understand what is coming." I was so overwhelmed by her panic and sadness that I found it hard to function, and shortly thereafter, all my abilities ceased. That was about 4 years ago now. With concentration I can open myself up to some extent, but so many things come flooding in that I can't control it, can't use it, can't do anything with it really. Any thoughts or ideas about any of this would greatly be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

I would also like to add that at least some of it seems to be a familial trait, my paternal grandmother often has premonitions, including one she had on September 10, 2001 in which she saw people running from to large burning buildings. She also mentioned that my father ( a twin) would know about things happening to his sister even if they weren't in the same state together..... but then that seems common with twins.

My daughter, who is two, on the other hand seems to be able to see "ghosts" and what not, and I fear for her if she doesn't understand what her ability is. She recently kept going to the blinds and looking out at our patio around 8PM one evening. I found it rather odd... so after she had gone back to playing I asked her where the person was. She ran back over to the window, pushed the blinds aside and pointed directly ahead. It could be nothing, but it freaked me out anyhow.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
You may find this thread interesting. Not that there is any proof, but it would explain what you are experiencing.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Thank you for posting..... I'll be reading that for at least the next few minutes.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I know this isn't as interesting as the guy that claims to be an indigo, or the shape shifting news reporter, or the homeless guy that freaked out the lovebird in Australia, but I wish someone would swoop in and give some type of opinion.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
First, I don't see or believe in
aura's.

If you do, don't hate me.

As far as being empathetic, I
am. (I'm going to get slammed
for this)

I can read emotions by watching
body and face movements.

Some people are quite easy;
I don't even need to watch.

Others, I watch with a glance, and
just know.

I've been on the internet since '94.
I've learned to understand how
people convey emotions while typing.

I'll call it innate, though there is (as far
as I know) no study on it.

I can just tell when someone is being
honest or not.

No idea if this helps, but good topic.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thank you for posting. As far as you not believing in auras, no big deal. Not everyone agrees on everything.... and I do understand that a lot of what I've experienced in my life can be just being able to read people through less ethereal methods. On the other hand; many experiences I've had can't be explained by that alone, at least I don't think so. However as I have said before, I am looking for the opinions of others, so thank you again.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I don't mean to beat this topic till it's dead, I was just hoping some more people would have something for me..... but.... I won't post again until someone else does.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
It seems to me that you are letting fear stop you from being the way you were four years ago.

The entity in the house that you say felt so much panic and sadness...did it scare you so that you don't want to open yourself up like that again?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Honestly it did scare the crap out of me, and I have to say the initial shut down almost seemed to be a natural response due to the overload of emotion from someone else, and in this case something else. Though some subconscious fear may reside in me still, it almost seems that I have lost whatever allowed me to open up that part of myself. I don't know. Which is why I started the thread to begin with. Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
My own experiences with empathy are rather largely based on what is happening around me and my own personal mindset at the time. Perhaps you should try some meditations on your thought processes and determine what is blocking you. If you truly wish to connect at a extra sensory level with others, you could benefit by searching yourself and others whom you are close to.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I am empathetic myself. At times it can seem more like a curse than a blessing depending on where I am or what people I'm around.

Being overloaded with alot of negative emotion can feel like being hurt or injured to people like us. Which can cause us to "shut down" or try to block it off.

Keep "feeling" for it a little at time in what you consider "safe" situations and maybe it will come back to you.

I hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Thanks redbarron and elaine. I'll have to put forth effort in both directions. I can certainly open myself up to some degree for brief periods of time, the only problem is that when I do it seems to be an amplified version of what I had from before. Everything comes flooding in with such force, that it is almost hard to focus on any of it. It just becomes a jumble of information from multiple sources, and there seems to be more range involved from before. The emotions, and thoughts from everyone in the distance of about a block just pours in, and the trigger response of it just shutting down again happens every time. Could it actually be amplified? Or am I just so unaccustomed to my own abilities that it seems overwhelming now? Even though it was natural to me before? Or could contact with a non-corporeal entity have something to do with the amplification that seems to exist? Also, any thoughts on why negative entities would fear me? And, has that also occured in either of your experiences?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Fear you? I'm not sure why. Although I had an experience with negative thought form entity once. This roommate "channeled" him, and he told her I was evil, needed to be eradicated, and all sorts of things. And she made this huge attempt at getting me kicked out of the house, which didn't work. After that, a couple of days later, she moved out. However, during these two days or so, I'd go to make myself breakfast in the morning, before work. I'd go along my normal routine. But one of those days, he was in there bothering me. I could sense his presence (thought form or not, he really existed), as if he were watching me, and I kept dropping things - I even broke a glass. Such clumsyness is not normal to me. Sure, the rare occasion happens that you break a glass or something, but I couldn't stop from dropping things - this has never happened before. Anyway... I had this feeling that he was making me drop stuff, and so I very firmly told him to back off, and to leave me alone, and to stop making me drop things. And... although he was still there and hated me, etc., he did stop.

I'm not going to say this about all negative entities, because it would probably be far from the truth. But from my experience with Abdul, he seemed to me to be like a very temperamental child. He did seem afraid of me for some reason - why was he trying to get me to leave, and to break up with my boyfriend in the first place? There must have been some fear there. Although why he feared me, I still don't understand to this day.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I wish I could offer help but I have as many questions as I have possible answers. I don't know what to think about being an empath and like member elaine, I also think it is as much of a curse as it is a blessing.

recently I've been battling my own inner turmoils of whether I should allow myself to "feel" or just try to block it out. I can't ever change the outcome or perception of those around me, I can only feel as bad, or as scared, or whatever it is they are feeling. And does that help any? I don't know. If I had healing touch or real solace to provide maybe I would feel different, but right now I do feel that I should distance myself from it for my own good and well being. Being an empath is very tough, if you allow it you can have the burden of the world on your shoulder and no way to carry it.

btw how are you preparing yourself for you day, I try to wake up with a bubble around me, something to bounce those unwanted vibes off of, you can envision a shield or whatever you think might work. I have to admit though, my method isn't 100% reliable for even me, sometimes I forget to reinforce it and before I know it i'm already being affected by other people's vibes.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Osiris, thank you for sharing. The more that folks like you share, the more we can all learn about this mostly uncharted area of psychic phenomena. It seems you are a true sensitive and that you are clairsentient. Yes, it is a real word and it means that you you can pick up easily on the emotions of others and also on the general energies around you. I do not see auras but I know many people who do and I don't doubt it.

There are methods you can use to hone, train and focus your skills. You say your wife is an Egyptian Pagan - maybe she can find someone she knows who can help you learn to direct these talents that you have.

There are also lots of books out there to learn from. A good is "Being Psychic for Idiots" or some such title. It's pretty basic, but you might learn alot from it and I believe it gives you some exercises to do, in order to help develop these abilities.

It is quite frequent that for whatever reason, psychics will temporarily lose these abilities. Many things can cause that, for example:

- accidents. For some reason, people have car (or other serious) accidents and they suddenly can see auras, etc. Or they sometimes lose these abilities, temporarily or even permanently.

- increase in drinking alcohol/drugs or using them when you've never used them before, at least not very much (I'm not against such things, I just know they can have an effect on psychic abilities)

- going on anti-depressants or other medications.

I am an empath and a clairsentient and it can be a curse/blessing many times. An important thing to do is for you to be able to learn when you can shut off the input when you need to. I have, in the past, been devastated by other's thoughts and energies, until I learned how to handle them better, rather than let them handle me, hope that makes sense. It's called "shielding" and I believe there's some info in the book I mentioned above on how to do that. Anyone who is a decent magickal practitioner can help you lean shielding and grounding.

I wouldn't be surprised if your fear of that entity temporarily blocked your abilities. Don't worry, with proper training, they usually come back. When/if they do, you could do things such as help the police find criminals, murderers, solve murder cases and even help prevent murders. It's a wonderful thing and if you could learn a little more on how to utilize your abilities, you could help alot of people, if that's what you want to do.

If you have any questions, or need help finding a teacher, I will be glad to help you, if I can. Just U2U me. Good luck to you, my friend, it's not easy living in a world where people usually don't believe in the things you're experiencing. But that is only because they are limited in having such experiences, so don't let them bother you.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
In order to begin to regain your empathic abilities, you will need to confront your fear. You felt strong, because your power would push back the darkness. However, when you finally came upon a dark strong enough to push back at you, you felt terror, helplessness, you shut down so that you did not get attacked like that again.

But, you still have a gift, and now you have little to no control over it. Your mind is not filtering it for you, so you get hit by a surge of information that you don't know what to do with.

Right now, your abilities are out of balance. They come like a flood. You will have a period of drought followed by a drowning storm that threatens to sweep you away. The cause of your dought is your fear. It is blocking the flow of energy/knowledge.

You must face the darkness, now, without protection, like being out of your cage in an ocean full of sharks. Here, in this peril, it is possible then to dig down deep, and, for the first time, at least in awhile, call on your ability at will. As your power seems to be connected to abundance, it will allow you to weather the storm, so to speak. But you will have to endure. For a bit, it will be terrible, I'm not going to lie. But it is here, on the razor's edge that you regain balance, and begin to establish a natural flow with your abilities.

What I normally tell all empaths who lack control is to find balance. Find the areas of your life where you are out of harmony, and correct them. be vigilent. As you find balance in your life, the flow of information will, over time become more managable.

Now, when you face the darkness, face your fears, this is the most frightening experience. You must have faith. Remember, you are not alone! There are spirits all around you, friends, family, and they cannot stand by and watch you be abused. You spirit must be strong. You intention, powerful, let your heart not be moved by the darkness, and stand on your own. Though they rip at you from all directions, you stand, immovable. and untouched. If you lose faith in your friends, in yourself, the dark will claim you.

This is not something I suggest you rush into. prepare yourself for many months. Strengthen your spirit, face your fear little by little when you ahve a crutch, when you can back out. Develop balance in your life. Once you can control yourself, you can control the circumstance. When you finally stand against the darkness, they will lunge with jagged teeth. Reject the fear they seek to impregnate you with. With your will strong, intention set, solid faith, you will be able to win. With your fear conquered that monkey will be off your back, and your abilities will know much greater freedom.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Thank you all so much for taking the time to post. I now have alot to think about/ try out. I'm going to allow everything to sift through my mind, and post something more in detail tomorrow evening. I'll touch on everything that has been so generously handed to me then. Thank you again, please don't forget about me in the coming days, I really need this. I have lost something that can be a curse at times, but brought many good things to myself and those around me..... losing my abilities has been like losing part of my soul and who I am. I feel I have a responsibility to myself to get it back. So the risks outweigh the rewards, and the fact that a moderator took the time to give an opinion really means a lot to me. Thank you all again.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I believe all people are empathetic to some degree. Most do not even realize it and don't have the abilitiy to tap into it deeper. I also am empathetic and because of it have chosen a path for my life. I go to school for human services. I can tap into people's emotions, feelings, and just seem to know things that I shouldnt. (i.e. about their family life, past experiences etc) I do not have the amount of ability as the rest of you but with my degree and empathetic way of life I will be a counselor and help other people deal with drug and alcohol problems, sexual abuse, and war veterans. Because you can really tap into how they feel it is easier to suggest ways to help them.

When I feel overwhelmed with everything around me i practice a meditation technique. You just concentrate on yourself and every part of your body as well as sounds and smells around you. Start by wiggling your toes then twitch your ankles and tighten your calf muscles, flex your thighs, tighten your buns, straighten your back, feel the energy go through your arms to the tips of your fingers, and roll your neck. take a deep breath and open your eyes. This usually calms me down enough that I can find the balance.

I know I am no expert and don't even know much about how and why this happens. Just thought I would share my balancing technique and what I believe my reason is for having this- to help others.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Ok I think I need to clarify a little about the entity I encountered. She wasn't a dark/evil spirit. Her panic and fear seemed to be about something else. The impression I got was that she was trying to get me out of there to protect me from whatever she was afraid of, that was apparently coming. I assume it was something much more powerful than those negatives that normally flee from me, and was obviously more powerful than her. Regardless, it was traumatic for me. It was kind of like having a steady empathic stream from all those around me, and then the contact with her turned that same stream into a raging river that was too much for me to bear. So obviously my mind erected what would be tantamount to a damn to hold the waters back.

Based on what I'm hearing from all of you, I think that afterwards I succumbed to believing that after my experience that being an empath was more of a curse... and the fact that my abilities were all but gone offered some sort of comfort at the time. I don't think I'm afraid of people's emotions being one with my own again. I know that when I am open, I'm like a brilliant light in the darkness that draws spirits towards me. Though the kinder, gentler spirits, have always followed me around, which I am fine with, I don't know if I can emotionally deal with direct contact with even one of them again. I guess, if I am afraid, that would be what I am still afraid of. The darkness, so to speak hasn't ever been a real issue. They are the ones that always keep their distance. I could always feel their fear of me. Why? I have yet to figure that out.

I will do some research on my own and try all of the suggestions that have been put forth to me. I do have another question. Today, although still helplessly closed off, I could feel the emotions of a co-worker, but just her, no one else. Is that an indication that she may be an empath as well? Considering the empathic coma I am in I could still easily sense her... it makes sense to me. What does everyone else think.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join