It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional Democrats Blast Rush Limbaugh For "Phony Soldier" Comments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Congressional Democrats Blast Rush Limbaugh For "Phony Soldier" Comments

thehill.com

Democrats on Monday called on the chief executive of Clear Channel Communications to denounce remarks by radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh, whom they say made a “hateful” and “unpatriotic” attack on U.S. troops opposed to the war in Iraq.

At issue is a remark from Limbaugh that characterized such troops as “phony soldiers.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
democrats.senate.gov
reid.senate.gov
www.rushlimbaugh.com
mediamatters.org

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
An intriguing imbroglio is brewing over comments by radio host Rush Limbaugh which has now found its way into the halls of the U.S. Congress.

The controversy took on historic proportions when Senator Harry Reid denounced Limbaugh on the floor of the U.S. Senate and drafted a letter to the CEO of Clear Channel Communications demanding an apology from Limbaugh, while Senator Tom Harkin publicly speculated that "maybe he was just high on his drugs again."

At the heart of the dispute are comments Limbaugh made on his September 26 broadcast which he claims were directed at Jesse MacBeth, used by Democrats to denounce the Iraq War, but which Democrats claim were directed at any soldier who opposes the war.

Limbaugh's account of the story can be found here.

MediaMatters.org presents its account of the story here.

I wasn't able to find a transcript of the September 26 show on Rush Limbaugh's website, and I haven't heard the original broadcast, so I can't personally comment on who may be right or wrong about this.

However, I'm very interested in the opinions of anyone who heard the broadcast, has been following this story or simply finds the story interesting.

What do you think is going on here?

thehill.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/2/2007 by Majic]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

What do you think is going on here?

Obviously, the Democrats are trying to make this a story so the Petraeus/MoveOn Ad goes away..

Tit for tat, same old games, it is sad really that this is the BIG story,

Especially since the Burma/Syria/Iran/Darfur/Oil for Food confession story etc.. etc..

Extremely more important issues are mentioned briefly because the media thinks

The Rush vs Dems story is better ratings.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This just shows how disingenuous the Democrats truly are.

Rush was definitely speaking about truly "phony" soldiers, people who were never in Iraq or Afghanistan but come out and say that they were along with a bunch of false accusations to an all-too-willing press

Jesse Macbeth was certainly not the only one, remember Amorita Randall featured in the New York Times Magazine was another.

Here's a big list linked to from Rush's site too:

www.usdoj.gov...

[edit on 10/2/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Contrivance failed...

And other short stories by the Left...

This is one of the most poorly thought out attempts to "even the score" I've seen yet. The Dems know they are being tied to MoveOn.org's little New York Times fiasco (personally, I think the billing issue was more scandalous than the "General Betrayus" remark) and they wanted to tie the Republicans to what they see as a similar pair of cement shoes. They grasped at a straw, and now they're stuck with it. Everyone knows what Rush meant by "phony soldiers" and the irony to all of this is that in trying to shoot Rush in the foot on this, the Left may have just shot themselves in the head. The world had forgotten the fraud and liar Jesse MacBeth, and any attempt to resurrect his brief media darling status and the complicity of the Left would have been gratuitous at best. Now, the door is wide open... Heck, Jesse even made some appearances here at ATS:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Left couldn't help but pile on Jesse's bandwagon, it was a dream come true... As soon as it came to light what a fraud he was, the media outlets that couldn't find enough hours in the day to cover his lies suddenly never heard of him, and couldn't be bothered to report his misdeeds...

Yeah, the Dems are already trying to find a way of divesting them of this particular "turd necklace" but I say wear it, it matches your outfit and looks fabulous.

Real Monkeys, not just for demonstrating who the phonies really are anymore...

[edit on 2/10/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I heard the broadcast and Rush was simply talking about those Soldiers that "Claim" to have been in combat and then seek the resources of the VA and such...

He was very specific in his comments and I find it difficult to believe that ANYONE would have "seriously" misunderstood....

He was actually praising and supporting the troops the entire time...

What has been said on the open floor of Congress is nothing more than a disgrace and what should be called for are resignations from Reid and his cronies ...

Semper

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I thought it was verified that these so-called "soldiers" were liars?
They were never even in the military from what I understand.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Democrats got mad because Rush called a soldier that got kicked out of the Army after 44 days of basic training, then claimed he was a Army Ranger, and witnessesed U.S. military attrocities, a phony soldier? What else is he suppose to call them?

Democrats praised these phony soldiers, and held them up as courageous for speaking out. Until they found out the truth.

Instead of calling on Rush to apologize for speaking the truth, where is the call for Senator Durbin to appologize for comparing troops to Nazi's...Murtha for blaming the troops for the so-called "Haditha Massacre" (which was proved to be a lie)....Senator Reid for declaring the war "lost"? Where is the apology for these outrageous statements?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The one that Rush spoke of was in...

For 45 days

He washed out of Basic, or that is what I heard reported....

He claimed to have been in Iraq, in combat and suffering from PTSD... He made all kinds of claims of Murdering innocents, torture and mutilation, that he supposedly witnessed...

Of course it was discovered that he has never been overseas...

I have yet to hear a retraction from the Left, the ones that SOOOO Supported him...Moveon.org and Mediamatters

Semper

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Instead of calling on Rush to apologize for speaking the truth, where is the call for Senator Durbin to appologize for comparing troops to Nazi's...Murtha for blaming the troops for the so-called "Haditha Massacre" (which was proved to be a lie)....Senator Reid for declaring the war "lost"? Where is the apology for these outrageous statements?

Oh, but all of that is okay. You know, because we Americans are so "wicked" and all.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Sorry RR

We posted at the same time apparently

Same conclusions though

Semper

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Rush is calling for Reid to resign:

Limbaugh: Reid should resign!

Is this what we elect our Congress critters for? To respond to talk show hosts on the Senate floor? What about the business of taking care of the nation's business - who's minding the store?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Harry Reid is a paper house cat... Not even the stature of Garfield... More like Nermal, just no where near as cute. He wishes he had half the sack Nancy and Hillary have.

Irrelevant is the key word here...

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I just want to take a second and applaud all the left leaning members on the board!

A post about Rush Limbaugh, and no personnal attacks!

I guess the reason the lefties aren't commenting is that this is such a blatant attack, that there is no defending it?

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Doesn't Congress have anything better to do? Apparently not. Sad, really.

Fake soldiers hailed as heroes, while young men and women who are actually in harms way are called "terrorists", "murderers", etc... Truely these cretins in Congress have lost all sense of reality. They truely have no shame...

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The blows are defnitely hitting below the belt. This from Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA):

Well, I don’t know. Maybe he was just high on his drugs again. I don’t know whether he was or not. If so, he ought to let us know. But that shouldn’t be an excuse.

michellemalkin.com...

top topics

join