It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents use GPS to spy on kids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
www.komotv.com...

I can understand a parents concern however isnt this creating a generation of kids who become innured to this intrusiveness (chips in pets, gps locators in cell phones) A generation that grows up understanding this as a necessary evil does not bode well for the future.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I don't like it and I think that it should be outlawed. Just because you are someone's kid or someone's employee does not give that person the right to undermine your own personal rights. This is exactly what is sounds like an invasion of privacy.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I sort of like it.

My Daughter is 11, so in 5 years she'll be driving and while I'd like to think that I can trust her, I want to know where she's at and what she's doing !

I remember when I was a teen, and I don't want her experiening the things that I did.. maybe if I can track her using GPS, I might just keep her out of trouble and save her a lot of grief ?

On the other hand, I want to be the type of parent who can give a kid some freedom, to experience the world and make their own decisions.

Now I'm confused.... geez thanks.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Wow, Being 21, this is a bit concerning.

Though, My dad warned me once he would implement a software on our computer that showed him everything I have every done on it during the day.

Deep

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is great technology put to a terrible, awful use. This must be against the Charter of Rights I would think.

I have no children at the moment, but I would never institute this on them. Where is the trust?

Elevatedone...I can't believe you even "sort of like it." It's absolutely terrible. would you like someone watching you? I doubt it...why then would you do this to your children

You don't want your kid going through some of the experiences you went through. Most of us don't...BUT those hard, awful experiences are what provide us with true life lessons and help develop our value systems. They are in essence what leads us to adulthood.

Don't deny our children the opportunity to learn and grow!

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
What I am really worried about is not the parents watching the kids but who is watching everyone else? The technology should be off limits to law enforcement except in cases of emergancy. As it stands right now anyone can track you.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is good news Technology that allows you to block who is tracking your position.

www.betanews.com...

Vortex comprises the policy management portion of MiLife Intelligent Services Gateway (ISG), a product that allows Web-based applications to access telephone network data. In addition to playing hide and seek from prying eyes, devices with context aware settings work in tandem with the Houdini engine to weed out unwanted Short Message Service (SMS) advertisements and undesired coupon spamming from merchants. Through these settings, users can decide what business can contact them electronically, if at all.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Key word here people: TRUST.
It works both ways.....in most cases of GPS tracking of children and teens, its because its apparent that the parents of said child or teen do not 'trust' what their child or teen has told them and possible past experiences of this nature have given parents no alternative but to GPS their arses......trust.....develop it, its a necessary must between growing kids/teens and their parents.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Parents now a days in my area dont give a damn about enforcing their rules. Unrulely kids. They shouldnt be trusted. The kids are up and outside at all hours of night. Their parents just dont give a flying #. I think there should be shock collor for them.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A shock collor for the parents, not the kids.

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Taxman]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This is just the type of #e they will eventually use to get parents to agree to microchip their kids. "You'll always know where your child is" and "How much safer you will feel with this new technology".

And of course, the authorities would never abuse this technology, would they ?

Bollocks !

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Shock and teach the parent how to raise thier kid.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well I have no need to spy on my children,I actually pay attention to them. But it certainly is not an invasion of privacy either.
As a parent you totally responsible for what your child is doing. Which means doing everything in your power to now what they are doing,who they doing with, and where they are. The most important thing is seeing your children into adulthood. Safely. And if my lets say is doing drugs,I want to know about right away. So as a parent I can deal with it immediately. And prevent problems from getting worse.
But I think GPS is a little extreme,listening,paying attention,and asking questions works best.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
An individual personality doesn't develop under constant monitoring and supression. What some of you want is to enforce what YOU think is right/good/bad to be accepted by the kid and track the behaviour in all situations.
Your kid gets a car and drives to a friends place which is more away than you allowed your kid?
- so what now? You will use GPS and face your kid with that?

Yea, have some fun loosing all respect from your kid. I want to be honest to you, all those parents wishing monitoring of their kids are freaks from my point of view.

I wonder how generations before us handled this...without GPS and other ways of tracking.

Oh I remember right! All kids went nuts, into suicide, mass-murdered or became criminals!

By the way, are the same people here asking for monitoring their kids which are against strong monitoring by the government? Yes.

But I think GPS is a little extreme,listening,paying attention,and asking questions works best.

Damn right

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by shoo]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Well I have no need to spy on my children,I actually pay attention to them. But it certainly is not an invasion of privacy either.
As a parent you totally responsible for what your child is doing. Which means doing everything in your power to now what they are doing,who they doing with, and where they are. The most important thing is seeing your children into adulthood. Safely. And if my lets say is doing drugs,I want to know about right away. So as a parent I can deal with it immediately. And prevent problems from getting worse.

I agree 100% people need to be involved with their children more than they need GPS.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
There shouldnt be chips in kids or anything of that sort, because the parents who ask for them, ITS THEIR FAULT they raised the kid to be a punk/criminal/ect.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
as a parent, I would never use this, I am however worried about when these kids grow up and assume the reins of power. Will they be less inclined to view this as an infringement of civil liberties, arguing that their parents did it because they care, and it was a positive thing, therefore its a good idea for the government.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taxman
There shouldnt be chips in kids or anything of that sort, because the parents who ask for them, ITS THEIR FAULT they raised the kid to be a punk/criminal/ect.

That is true up to a point, since there have always been #ty parents who can't give a # about their kids.

However, the stupid PC laws nowadays have stopped decent parents from disciplining their kids as they see fit. A parent has only to raise his voice to a child in public for some pre-programmed PC sheep to shriek 'abuse' and call Child Services. So the parents are scared to do so, and the kids run riot.

It's not always the parents fault.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ya, damn PC Police, need to be shot. Anyways, what happened to when a kid who tryed to smoke for example would be smacked upside the head, hard, for trying?

who

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The company i work for just started using GPS phones, turns out now they can track us at any time they want as long as the phone is on. I can see both sides of the argument when its for work, no one wants their employees cheating them out of money but no one likes to be monitored like a 2 year old either. I do heating and air so the office people really have no idea where we are, i can understand their frustration. However the idea of tracking kids is fine with me. I should have been tracked, would have kept my police record from becoming as large as it is. I am about to be a dad and can honestly say that i support this, most kids dont understand that things are done to protect them, not to invade their privacy. Funny how 99% of kids out there eventually agree with all of this stuff when they get a little older and wise up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join