It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm making Bennigan's Monte Cristo sandwiches this weekend. Get out the paddles!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Got this recipe off of one of those copycat recipe sites:

Link

Makes
3 sandwiches

Ingredients:

9 Slices Wheat Bread
3 Slices Cooked Turkey
3 Slices Cooked Ham
3 Slices American Cheese
3 Slices Swiss Cheese

Batter

1 Egg
1 - 1 1/4 C. Water
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Flour
1 Tbs. Baking Powder
Vegetable Oil (for deep frying)
Methods/steps
Place turkey and Swiss cheese on one slice of bread and ham and American cheese on another slice of bread. Place third slice in-between and secure the triple decker sandwich in the corners with tooth picks.

Place egg in mixing bowl, add water and beat together. Add salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Beat batter until smooth.
Dip sandwich in batter and carefully cover all the sides and surface. Carefully place in hot oil and fry until golden. When sandwich has turned a warm gold color remove from hot oil and place on paper towel. Let cool for a few minutes before removing the tooth picks. Before serving slice into fourths and sprinkle with powder sugar.

Serve with raspberry preserves, pickle garnish and your favorite side order of French fried potatoes.

This could be the best sammich man has ever invented! Any ideas about this particular recipe and/or the tweaking of?

Peace

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Monte Cristo's in general are the best sandwich ever made. I've never had Bennigans, I've never even been to bennigans. However I did have one at a local cafe and they served it with strawberry yogurt instead of raspberry preserves.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
...strawberry yogurt instead of raspberry preserves.

Interesting....I never would have thought about strawberry yogurt. Maybe I'll crack open one of my g/f's Yoplaits and give it a try.

I haven't been to Bennigan's in years, but I remember the sandwich. I usually don't even use the raspberry preserves, I just dip the sandwich in ketchup.

We need a smiley that's licking it's lips or something.

Peace

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
All I know is I have been low carbing it for the last ten days with some pretty good success.

Just the thought of any meal that includes bread almost reduces me to tears. What you're making has not only bread, but sweet, sweet, preserves.

Tonight I'm having liver, fried onions, and bacon. Should gross out my wife and daughter, nicely. Then I will sit on the couch and try and make it until I hit the rack without succumbing to the incredible urge to say the hell with it, and eat a quart of Wisconsin's finest frozen custard.

That sandwich sounds great. The batter should be really good, but the key is in the frying. If you don't have a candy/hot oil thermometer, buy one with a long stem. It is important to have the right oil temperature. Not hot enough and you'll have a greasy, soggy, disgusting mess. Too hot and it will brown too fast and not melt that wonderful cheese. 350 degrees should do it for you.

Enjoy those bad boys. Post a few pictures of them. I noticed not too many people post photos of their culinary creations on this site. That's my kind of art work.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yeah Musky, I have a candy thermometer, the real problem for me is the electric stovetop. It's hard as hell to keep the temperature, but for one sandwich at a time (as opposed to four chicken thighs for fried chicken) it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Liver, fried onions and bacon? Hmm...sounds interesting!

Also, as far as the Monte Cristo goes, I like the tip the former Bennigan's employee gave at the website as far as preparing the sandwiches the day before and refrigerating them so they hold together better during battering and frying.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join