It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic Pole Shift & Global Warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
There is currently a shift occuring in Earth's magnetic field.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_magnetic_field

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_magnetic_field

It's interesting to note that the pole position data on the page is only current through 2005. Does anyone know what the current data and rate of shift is?

Anyway, I had the thought that since earth is shielded from solar radiation by, among other things, it's magnetic field. Would the shifting position of this field cause weath patterns to change. It seems to me that it would. If you look at the shape of our magnetic fields it appears that change the configuration would cause increased solar energy in some regions and decreases in others. It seem to me that that would have the effect of changing weather patterns, perhaps eventually turning deserts to forests and forests to deserts.

en.wikipedia.org...

I wonder if this effect is seen on other planets such as mars, which is also currently seeing warming. It would be interesting to see if mars magnetic field is also on the move. If so that would indicate that the movement of magnetic fields is caused by an external force, the sun perhaps.

Or maybe not?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Saw something on TV recently about the magnetic field decreasing around certain places on earth. Danish scientists launched a satelite in 1999 to measure electromagnetic activity around the earth.

They also had a theory about a swirling magnetic mass near the inner core of the earth. Just thought i would add that in because its an interesting theory

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well, most sources say that the shift, if it happens, will cause catastrophes with all the earths volcanoes erupting at once, winds that will lay waste to all buildings and so on...

But in reality, nobody seems to really know for sure what will happen. I prefer to think nothing will happen.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Well, most sources say that the shift, if it happens, will cause catastrophes with all the earths volcanoes erupting at once, winds that will lay waste to all buildings and so on...

But in reality, nobody seems to really know for sure what will happen. I prefer to think nothing will happen.

Well, for one, gonna have to by me a new compass....bummer

In addition to the wind and volcanoes, I've also read that some think the magnetic field that keeps solar radiation at bay will be temporarily shut off during the switch. Be a good time to get a tan!

-Warlo

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
"I've also read that some think the magnetic field that keeps solar radiation at bay will be temporarily shut off during the switch."

If that's the case then the whole world will be a desert. I don't really buy into the CO2 explanation for global warming or the coming taxes. Canada has already started taxing CO2.

This year has been a very warm year. Still it's only breaking records locally set in 1930. Time will tell I guess. If we get another year like this one next year, I think the area where I live will be a dust bowl. Already, green rolling pastures have been replaced by barren dirt landscape. The tree lost most of their leaves in august, it was just to hot along with no rain. Last year I had to mow once or twice a week from April to November, this year, I've had to mow 4 times, two of those were in early spring. Just for the record, I don't miss mowing.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by logicize

Being in the weather industry im a bit suspect about the whole global warming thing. I mean dont get me wrong i think that greenhouse gases are far to abundant in the atmosphere, but in reality weather records only go back around 100 years in most places in the world so how do we know the temperature rises arent just some part of a massive cooling/ heating cycle that the earth goes through over a number of years

Sorry to get off topic a little bit, but i just had to say it

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Slightly off topic guys, I'll try to explain this the best i can.

Dosnt the earth's axis spin on the current magnetic poles, (eg place a ball between your fingers, it will spin on the points of contact)

Now what happens for example magnetic points say shift 90 degress from current position, will the earth still rotate on its original axis or will it start to rotate on this new point of magnetism. (ie instead of having a east west as we currently have will it start to spin in a north south manner.)

Just a thought that came to my mind, if you understand what i mean

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by logicize

Mars does not have magnetic poles because its molten core has cooled and is no longer rotating.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
miss read post above

[edit on 16-10-2007 by Trigger82]

top topics

join