It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Developing - Cheney Dropping Out?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Developing Rumor from ATS: Vice President Dick Cheney is planning to pull out of the 2004 Presidential Campaign as George Bush's running mate. Rumors indicate the reasons are complex from Halliburton legal issues, to health issues. Sources indicate the leading candidate for replacing Cheney is US Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist.

The Vice President has had his long list of detractors, primarily due to continued involvement with Halliburton, and it's potential legal issues (Slate.com, VOAnews.com, Money.CNN.com). Senate Majority Leader, Bill Frist appears to be a safe choice for a running mate (Zwire.com, RocyMountainNews.com, Chattanoogan).

EDITOR'S NOTE: Stay focused on ATSNN for more information on this unconfirmed rumor.

-rc

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Nerdling]

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I have heard that he will run and after re-election resign and be replaced by Condolezza Rice setting her up for the nomination in 2008 to go against Hillary.

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
EDIT: I had originally heard the same rumor, but wished to downplay it before more confirmation...

This would be an interesting development, and a wise move by the Bush camp.

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Sounds about right to me.

Whats the rumour about the conditions of the leaving? is he being dismissed or leaving for health reasons or something else?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RumorCentral
Unconfirmed Rumor: Vice President Dick Cheney will be pulling out of the 2004 Presidential campaign, in favor of US Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist.

-rc

Source??

If this is true, it's definitely big news. Though I'm unsure how much this will affect the overall campaign. On the one hand, it's looking like Cheney's gonna have to face impeachment hearings over the energy task force dealings, which would be an exceptionally negative force to have to explain in a campaign.

On the other hand, though, dropping him seems to imply Cheney's guilt, and that they know they cannot win with him. Also, it would show Bush to have a lack of loyalty.

I can't figure out which is worse: the possibility of Cheney becoming President, or the possibility of Condi. They both scare the pants off me.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well, if the dirt from Cheney starts muddying Bush's shoes, I can see him switching horses there... Would be quite a move actually, as many of his detractors are really more against Cheney than Bush... I would think Rice would be a better choice politically though....than a relative (to the American public at large) unknown.... Not to mention, as a Republican female candidate, it would be a major blow to the Dems...

I would be more afraid of losing the actual brains in this presidency...even if it is the brain of a mad scientist....

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
In related news... Money.CNN.com Halliburton blows whistle on kickbacks Oil company says a unit may have accepted kickbacks for sub-contract to Kuwaiti company. NEW YORK (CNN) - Officials of a Halliburton subsidiary contracted to provide services to U.S. troops may have accepted kickbacks from a Kuwaiti company subcontracted to provide the services, the company said Friday. Kellogg Brown & Root fell under harsh scrutiny last year when allegations surfaced in a Defense Contracting Audit Agency's draft audit that it had overcharged the army by as much as $61 million for gasoline by buying it solely from Kuwait instead of Turkey, where it was cheaper.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
That article is a bit skewed compared to the original Houston article:

Halliburton audit finds possible problems

Internal probe unveils potential overbilling in Pentagon contract

www.chron.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I also think they want to set someone up for the 08 election that is electable. I doubt Cheney would run in 08 and I doubt that he'd win, if he did run. Frist is the natural choice. This would also give Al Gore some trouble if he's going to have anything to do with the 08 election as well, both being from Tennessee.

Frist/Powell in 08?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Besides the Halliburton 'factor' and angle, I believe that once this is confirmed it will also quite possibly be indicitive of a political maneuver(ing).

Hypothetical: If Bush is re-elected, his tenure as President ends with the coming of 2008, barring nothing happens inbetween 2004-2008.
Cheney would be the next most logical case for running in 2008....In such, Cheney is not what the Republicans want as a president. The scenerio would have Cheney stepping down either prior to the 2004 elections or during the 2nd term (ie: 2006+/-). This would throw C. Rice, Frist, Guiliani, or others into the picture in hopes of getting a 'head-start' on Hillary and possibly Gore in and for the 2008 presidential elections.

Cheney's public motive or reasoning will be his 'health' concerns. Keep in mind, that when Cheney accepted the position to run as Bush's mate/vice president, Cheney commented that: (ad-lib) "If I ran into problems where I felt I couldn't serve, I'd be the first to say so and step down" or something to that degree.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is about the only way the Republican party can avoid a 2008 implosion. My previous posts about the coming 2008 liberal landslide didn't credit ditching Cheney now.

Though I always suspected he'd turn up "the leaker" before a 2008 candidate was named.

Score Rove. I wonder if Bush even has a clue why this is happening. He probably is being told this is for the 2004 election, so the egocentric little re-election monkey plays ball with Rove/Cheney.

By the way, just heard DAVID KAY quit, saying he believes there NEVER were stockpiles of WMD. Anyone have confirmation?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
By the way, just heard DAVID KAY quit, saying he believes there NEVER were stockpiles of WMD. Anyone have confirmation?

Confirm.

-B.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Shouldn't that be a top story? Maybe it is. Or will be.

Here's the Democratic interpretation of Bush's head WMD hunter's words:
"I don't think they existed," Kay told Reuters in a telephone interview. "What everyone was talking about is stockpiles produced after the end of the last (1991) Gulf War and I don't think there was a large-scale production program in the '90s," he said.
Translation: Clinton containment worked.

Implication: The Dem candidates saying "The United States went to war against Baghdad last year citing a threat from Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. No actual banned arms have been found."are vindicated in calling Bush's war unjustified.

Now to bring it home, let's float a Cheney rumor to divert the press.
Just kidding (sorta).

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I guess, speculatively, it will pretty much amount to "Opps, but good riddance anyhow....."

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
How come no one ever seems to bring up the fact that he's been responsible for the coverup of assassinations? This is an evil man, IMO.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Cheney would not survive that long. Granted, the blacker the corporate crony heart, the more avenues to keep it pumping. But odds of someone with so many procedures done & at that advanced age.....he's living day by day.
Frist is completely uncharistmatic, even by Repulican standards. Rice, or anyone coming out of this administration, is going to bee too tainted to be a viable choice on a national scale.
the GOP willhave to do so much damage control, that the party will be a shadow ofit's current incarnation.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
Rice, or anyone coming out of this administration, is going to bee too tainted to be a viable choice on a national scale.
the GOP willhave to do so much damage control, that the party will be a shadow ofit's current incarnation.

COuld it be that this is why Colin Powell said he would not be a part of the administration for a second term? so that he could distance himself from Bush/Cheney, making him less tainted by the deeds of this president?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Powell is quitting because he thinks Bush is doing a good job.

Sorry, had to. I think your post is 100% given.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think Condy would put a hurting on Hillary

media.washingtonpost.com...

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I don`t want to be uncompassiate but wouldn`t it be a good idea if he just died already?
I think lot more people would live if he did !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join