It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC manadatory breastfeeding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
ok so I heard recently that NYC is making it mandatory for women to breastfeed. Apparently (before the law was passed) when you gave birth hospitals give you a "gift basket" with formula samples and a handbook about breastfeeding and formula feeding. But now in New York maternity wards they don't give formula but breast pumps. I am not opposed to breastfeeding at all I think its a wonderful thing for both mother an child both in bonding as well as the vitamins and nutrients for the baby. However I do not feel that the government has to monitor my tits. There are some very valid cases in which the mother may feel uncomfortable with this as well as the child may never take to the mother nipple. There are other cases in which governments are stepping in on lifestyles which I believe they really don't have a right to. With the US now banning smoking in public places and soon in automobiles and England supposedly putting extra taxes on foods containing saturated fats, when is going to far to far. Sure it seems like a good idea in some respects, it is trying to make the general populous healthier but will there be a day when I am in my car chomping on Cheeto's and smoking with a kid in the back seat (hmmm sounds like Britney Spears) sipping store bought formula that I will arrested or fined? It sounds silly now but its sounding a bit '1984' if you ask me. Well now what do "y'all" think?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
P.S- this probably shouldn't be in paranormal studies

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Haha... i read the topic and i was like... paranormal breastfeeding? This i have to see.

I don't see how they can enforce that. Some mothers can't breastfeed, and some that can choose not to. Thats the big thing here, choice. It is a personal choice and should stay as such.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

See thats what I mean it is all about choice and the fact that the gov is getting involved is sorta nervewrecking

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I think this is great! As a breastfeeding mother I support this 100% . Breast milk is the best thing you can give your baby. I understand that some women cannot do this for certain reasons, but only in extreme cases. Go NY!

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Let me first say that I have always been a big fan of breastfeeding!

I had a thread a while back about it!!

www.belowtopsecret.com...

BUT - Goonymental departments should be encouraging not forcing!!

MonKey

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I can't see this being real. Is there a link to it?

Diseases and medications can be passed through breast milk. Forcing mothers to breastfeed could spread HIV to children from mothers that don't even know they have it.

It's nobody's business how kids are fed, it's the mother's choice. After all, it's her boobs.

I tend to think this is a rumor, until and unless some real evidence for it is shown.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Yeah, I believe I'm right.

I'm glad you dug some stuff up on this MM. When I first saw this early this morning I was sure it was false, but I was too busy at work to look into it.

BTW....even if it were a mandatory law....who the hell would monitor this??
Come on :shk:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31

BTW....even if it were a mandatory law....who the hell would monitor this??
Come on :shk:

Well, I guess it would be the Boobie Police.

Can you imagine the uniforms?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jensouth31

I'm not too busy.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

I'm not too busy.

Some.... how.... I can imagine You being the right guy for a job like that. Maybe the NYC breastfeeding coalition will let you write up your very own job description?

*Sits back and ponders the strange things lysergic might say while on the job...

Edit* to add... I wonder what lysergics uniforms might look like MM?

[edit on 10/2/2007 by jensouth31]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
My point is whether it is a mandatory law or not that the government should stay out of my bra...Figuratively speaking. That don't need to know if and where I smoke whether I breastfeed and if I decide to eat fatty foods. Its none of there business.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrangell76
I think this is great! As a breastfeeding mother I support this 100% . Breast milk is the best thing you can give your baby. I understand that some women cannot do this for certain reasons, but only in extreme cases. Go NY!

there aren't such extreme cases in which a mother can't breastfeed. There is also latching problems as well as a lack of supply. This is very common and not extreme.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
We do get your point Laura. However, you didn't provide any substance i.e. a news article, etc.to back up this rumor? Where did you hear this from?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

womenshealthnews.wordpress.com...

Here is one link. I also heard in on the news and news radio. I will find more links...Gah, I should have done that before eh?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I am wondering...just wondering...if this sudden rise in pushing breastfeeding and smoking bans are making way for universal health care in the US. Because I have noticed places like England who have a universal health care program are doing the same when it comes to taxing Fats on foods and drinks. I mean Blagovich (Illinois Governor) raise taxes on tobacco products numerous times. Just a thought.

and some literature:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

tobaccofreekids.org...

[edit on 2-10-2007 by LauraCaren]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The articles talk about encouraging breast feeding in the first few hours of a babies life, and to encourage breast feeding as an exclusive, but I didn't see anything about it ever being mandatory. No more formula samples from the hospitals in NY however.

Thanks for the links Laura. I don't think there is any need to worry

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Yeh I guess not. O well, that was my try at being a top conspirator lol...ugh i uploaded an avatar pic and its huge...um

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join