It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

x's orbit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
why does planet x have the huge orbit stretching out of our system what are the scientific, gravitational factors/reasons causing this.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
or link me to hoax debunking stuff. but for the believers, simple question with simple answer, i just don't own any books on this

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   

ok, so, to ellaborate, there must be a reason for planet x's very unusual large elliptical orbit. i mean, it should be the first question someone asks when they view that orbit. a search for "x's elliptical orbit" on google reveals little about this, just that it has such an orbit, not why. obviously there's a reason for it. a hoax debunk site addresses it at least:

"Planet X is said to have a highly elliptical orbit. But such orbits are unstable. Soon, the planet would get a circular orbit and become part of the 'normal' solar system - or it would fly off into deep space. There just is no other way." www.exitmundi.nl...

so as i understand it part of the explanation for this is that it is orbiting around another sun somewhere else so it just returns every so often sort of like haleys comet. which sun/star, and many other questions remain.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by darbeb]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by darbeb

Hi darbeb,

As far as I'm aware ], there is no serious candidate for "Planet X" at this time. See:

en.wikipedia.org...

The oribtal trajectory you have shown looks to me like a long range Comet. Such bodies, coming in from the Oort cloud have these long highly elliptical (by planetary standards) orbital paths. Indeed, most cometary orbits look like this.

Hope this helps!

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Darbeb:

There are a couple of things that get lumped into something called "Planet X".

One is this Sitchin/Nibiru thing that doesn't really exist.

But you'll see references to something called this in more respectable space lit, and it can be confusing if they're confirming the "nibiru" thing or what.

They're not.

What they're talking about is a hypothetical body in/beyond the Oort cloud that is responsible for tossing in new comets from the Oort cloud. Some mathematical models show that if the Oort cloud was denser than previously thought, that a precipitating body would be unnecessary.

At any rate, the "nibiru" thing is pretty unlikely for several reasons. One, by cutting across the orbits like that, it's eventually going to cause a nasty collision. But you don't see any evidence of recent collisions.

Two. A large body (don't some of the nibiru-ists claim it's a brown dwarf?) like that would cause tidal effects all through the system. You, however, will note that a lot of the bodies in the solar system are tidally or resonantly locked in a stable fashion. The Moon for instance, or Mercury, or the moons of Mars or a score of other easily observable stably locked bodies. If you were plunging a brown dwarf through the system constantly, the perturbations would tend to unlock these relationships for a while, a while being much longer than the 5000 years I've heard bandied about

Three. A lot of the loose junk in the system is in the various Trojan points where it should be. This situation is easily disturbed. A massive body plunging through the inner system would disturb at least SOME of the Trojans, but you don't see this.

It's just a conveniently scary boogie-man.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
these are the responses i would get at my university.

i should have created a general planet x thread my question wasn't does it exist.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by darbeb
i should have created a general planet x thread my question wasn't does it exist.

Well, we can't answer questions about gravitational constants and orbital dynamics if it doesn't exist now can we?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
dude, there's plenty of people who believe the planet x theory. batman doesn't exist, we know that. planet x, we aren't sure of. there's books, websites, its discussed on coast to coast, and plenty of people believe there is a cover-up. i do appreciate your responses, im just disappointed planet x doesn't get more serious discussion here. yea its orbit would have to not intersect with any of our planet's or their would have been collisions. it is supposed to be responsible for the planetary heating that is occuring right now. i think it is a small brown dwarf or "brown dwarf-like", or, as mentioned in this article, yowusa.com... a dar, a gaseous mass turning into a planet. yea it would have to be small enough that it wouldn't influence the other planets long after it had passed.

Edn

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Heres thing thing, you cant cover up things in space, theres to little control over it, with the exception of planetary exploration through satellites almost all fields of Astronomy are run by amature astronomers.

As for a planet X there isn't one, theres 8 planets, at least two dwarf planets (Pluto and Eris (the 10th planet, aka planet X)) and numerous other large asteroid objects orbiting the sun further out.

As for elliptical orbits, almost every planet in this system has an elliptical orbit, even Earth. I don't know much about orbits so I wont say why but you have to consider that the Sun isn't the only acting force in this system, everything is pulling everything else.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
the only place you're supposed to be able to see planet x from right now is antarctica, i believe. eris isn't planet x. that's true, all the planets do exert gravital pulls, along with everything else, so there always are other factors. x's orbit is more elliptical though, as it passes out of and into our solar system. this could partly be explained by gravitational influence of our sun and its "sun".

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

the only place you're supposed to be able to see planet x from right now is antarctica, iour sun and its "sun".

dareb that makes no sense at all! Why only visible from antarctica? If it's visible in the southern hemisphere then in it's the southern hemisphere and all such latituteds will see it!

If its near the south pole star (the very dim sigma octantis) then it is visible from any latitudes from which the sigma octantis is visible surely?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
infrared. www.darkstar1.co.uk...

In order to study the sky for warm objects it makes a whole bunch of sense to locate a telescope in an extremely cold environment. After all, if you want to look at the stars, you wouldn't go out with a telescope in the daylight. There's too much visible light in the atmosphere. Likewise, looking at the sky in the infra-red spectrum can be difficult because of the background heat in the atmosphere. But in Antarctica you have a 6-month winter as frigid as anywhere on the globe. You have access to the constellations which are more difficult from the Northern latitudes, like Sagittarius. It's ideal.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

ok, so, to ellaborate, there must be a reason for planet x's very unusual large elliptical orbit. i mean, it should be the first question someone asks when they view that orbit. a search for "x's elliptical orbit" on google reveals little about this, just that it has such an orbit, not why.

Zechariah Sitchin came up with the idea. I assume he invented the orbit in order to explain why the 'gods' in his stories made only periodic visits to the earth and why their planet wasn't currently known to science.....?

[edit on 4-10-2007 by Essan]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
That means that it has yet to be detected and if one was to rund a seacr then go to Antartica, that's fine. Once you've located it you have it's coordinates, but that doesn't mean it's only visible from Antartica.

Presumably you would need to run a similar search in the norther hemisphere, assuming enough people take it seriously enough to make the search of course...

new topics

top topics

join