It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FreeMasonry - who can join?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NexusAtom
As far as being a convicted felon or having a past criminal record. How would they know? I was not asked on the application .. Im sure they don't do a background check on you.

Yeah right!

After you have been there a while you would notice that they know more about you than you would like them to know. Hehe. But don't be afraid, we are all sinners. I could never join I guess, I have been into too much trouble I guess. A bit too rock'n'Roll for their taste I guess. But I know many masons, and the ones I know are great people. The dad of one of my friends is a 33 degree mason. He is one of the coolest old folks I know about....

Blessings,
Mikromarius

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by Hamilton]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Yes, they do background checks.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Yes they do. Infact it's exactly WHAT they do mostly it seems. To learn so much about you that they finally know you better than they know themselves. Which can infact be a good thing. If you can TRUST your overseers that is.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well, the application was quite in-depth. It asked for my ssn ,employment , if I believed in GOD, And he was sure to remind me to put my entire name not a initial for my middle name but to spell out my full name. It also asked if I ever was affiliated with a group that's purpose was to overthrow the government.

All in all it was a pretty in depth application. But the secretary assured me that I would get in and that rarely ever was someone black balled.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Well I do have a 1st deg. forgery charge from a piece back. wonder if that will put a shadow on the membership.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Doubt it, they'd probably just find it interresting. If it was well done that is
Anyway, good luck in becoming a mason. Allthough I don't support secrecy like what the masons are doing, you have my support. Hope it'll be interresting and that you learn alot about the world and yourself....

And maybe you should keep it a secret you are here on ATS, they might not like it too well

Blessings,
Mikromarius

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by Hamilton]

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Thanx man, its just another experience. That's all life is one big experience! And what I do on this box stays in this box.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hehe
Which lodge did you enter btw? Have you received any books or tools or anything? I don't know how it works, that's why I ask.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I would join just to ride the goat if for nothing else. I read on Freemasonary watch that that is one of the embarrassing initiation rituals

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by TgSoe]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I know that you have to believe in God, and that you have to be at least 18-21(it varies...and has to have 3 masons vouch for you

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpulentRecords
Yes, they do background checks.

Like the guy up there *points up there* said, before they allow you to become a member they know more about you than you know.

That is one of the reasons I got so pissed off when hacker idiot (who holds a Ph.D. in fiber optics engineering) forged a damn criminal charge and previous arrest record on me.

Now I will never be able to join the Free Masons or the female counterparts.........Eastern Star. This really sucks.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamilton
Doubt it, they'd probably just find it interresting. If it was well done that is
Anyway, good luck in becoming a mason. Allthough I don't support secrecy like what the masons are doing, you have my support. Hope it'll be interresting and that you learn alot about the world and yourself....

And maybe you should keep it a secret you are here on ATS, they might not like it too well

Blessings,
Mikromarius

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by Hamilton]

I have never understood why organizations like the FreeMasons, Eastern Star and Shriners have supported the "secrecy" thing especially since they do so many charitable good works and for the most part they are honest, decent, hardworking citizens. Most people associate "secrecy" with .........you have something to hide.............I have done something wrong.
I know someone who is in Eastern Star and she is one of the most hardworking, decent, God-fearing, church going, religious, do-gooders I have ever met. She is just like a sister to me but when it came to talking about the Eastern Star, she never would say a lot. One time I axed her..............Hey!! why all the secrecy??? you people do good deeds and good things for your fellow human beings. She said the reason they don't talk about the good deeds, charitable stuff, ect............is because when you do good things for your fellow-beings............you don't broadcast it, you don't brag, ectt............it takes away from the altruism. It kind of makes sense. My sister and brother-in-law are devout Church of Christ who contribute to all kinds of great causes and never talk about it but if you ask them, they will. They are just modest about their generousity.

Go figger. When I do a really good deed................I let everybody know about it.
Like................SEE??..............See how good I am???

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jillian_Bacardi

Like the guy up there *points up there* said, before they allow you to become a member they know more about you than you know.

Not really. The petitioner is told ahead of time that a background check will be ran.

That is one of the reasons I got so pissed off when hacker idiot (who holds a Ph.D. in fiber optics engineering) forged a damn criminal charge and previous arrest record on me.

Now I will never be able to join the Free Masons or the female counterparts.........Eastern Star. This really sucks.

Not necessarily. When I was a kid I was arrested for smoking weed. Nobody's perfect, and misdemeanors usually won't keep someone out as long as it's something minor, and we learn from our mistakes.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I am a Mason, 32d degree. Here is what is required to join. (Keep in mind that there is no "Grand Lodge of the United States". Each state has its own Grand Lodge, and that is as high as it goes.

You MUST believe in God. NO atheist may petition. Your individual beliefs are your own, and of no concern to Masonry.

You MUST be over the age of majority. (18 some states, 21 most states)

You MUST be of good moral character. A conviction for some misdemeanor will NOT keep you out of Masonry. No one is perfect.

And you MUST be Male. NO girls allowed. There are Co-Masonic groups, that are for men and women, but these are outside of mainstream masonry.

There is a short background check done on candidates. Nothing extensive.

In some states, you must have three individuals (not necessarily masons) who can vouch for your character. In some states, you must have two Masons who can vouch for you. It varies from state to state.

There are over 100 (one hundred) appendant and concordant bodies of Masonry. I am not an expert on all of them, but all have internet sites, where you can learn.

For the straight, "warts and all" information about masonry, my favorite site is

www.masonicinfo.com...

If anyone has any questions, or would like to join, then email me directly:

[email protected]

and I will give you the truth.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NexusAtom
As far as being a convicted felon or having a past criminal record. How would they know? I was not asked on the application .. Im sure they don't do a background check on you.

From what I've been told, yes, they do a background check and pay a visit to your home to see how you live.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Not all masonic lodges are the same , I just received my first degree and nobody came to my home .A criminal check was done but thats all .I had an interview with three brothers after I filled out the application they asked some simple questions and a week later the voted on me.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Do you have to pay a small fee to join?

im 21 now, so in theory i could join *ponders*

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Do you have to pay a small fee to join?

im 21 now, so in theory i could join *ponders*

Yes, but it varies from Lodge to Lodge, according to their by-laws.

My Lodge charges a $40 petition fee. If the candidate is elected, he then pays $30 per degree in initiation fees. After receiving the Third Degree, he is then a Master Mason and pays $30 per year in dues.

It should be noted that most Lodges charge more than this though. My Lodge owns rental property, which is the major source of our income, and keeps dues low. For most Lodges, dues are the only source of income, and have to charge a bit more in order to cover operating expenses.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
hmmm...

i think i may have to go and speak to the masons. this sounds very interesting.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I joined last year and have been very pleased with the quality of people involved. They tend to be basic, humble working class guys. I spent several years studying all about masonry, kept looking for that big evil secret everyone talks about. After I approached a co-worker who I found out was a mason, I spent six months grilling him on everything I could think of. It is big decision if you want to join, take some time and study it well. Become your own expert so you don't need to take someone else's word on it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join