It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bosnian Man Arrested in Austria After Trying to Bring Explosives into U.S. Embassy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Bosnian Man Arrested in Austria After Trying to Bring Explosives into U.S. Embassy

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- A 42-year-old Bosnian man carrying explosives in his backpack tried to enter the U.S. Embassy in Vienna on Monday, but fled when his bag triggered the embassy's metal detector alarm, Austrian officials told CNN.

He was arrested a short time later after dumping his bag, which contained two hand grenades, screws and nails, said Doris Edelbacher, a spokeswoman for the Austrian Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This definitely looks like an attempted Islamic terror attack, however crude. I'm glad they caught him.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
This definitely looks like an attempted Islamic terror attack

It is a strong possibility, but not necessarily true. There are three dominant nations in Bosina and Herzegovina - Bosniaks (Muslims), Serbs and Croats. I live in neighboring country, Croatia, and I can tell you - it is very complicated situation in there. Possible perpetrator of this thwarted attack could also be an extreme Serb (some of them have grudge against the US because they're backing independence of Kosovo, a province that is currently under Serbian sovereignty). It could also be an extreme Croat, though I find it highly unlikely, because Croats really have no grudge against the US (in fact, just the opposite, IMO).

And BTW, vast majority of the Bosnian Muslims are not extremists... however, during the 1992-95 war, many foreign volunteers came to Bosnia to fight on the behalf of Muslims, and these folks were extremists (vast majority of them), and they have managed to spread seeds of extremism among native Bosnian Muslims, but only to a tiny extent.

And let me assure you - vast majority of Bosnia and Herzegovina's citizens, regardless of their nationality or religion are sick and tired of war and violence, and are not eager to be involved in any kind of conflict.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Duby78

Thanks for your analysis. The only reason I said that was that the article does say the backpack included "Islamic literature." Of course it is possible that that has nothing to do with his motive.

new topics

top topics

join