It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grambling State University Investigates Pictures of Noose Lesson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Grambling State University Investigates Pictures of Noose Lesson

www.foxnews.com

GRAMBLING, La. — Officials at Grambling State University were meeting Monday after the school newspaper ran photographs of adults at a campus-run elementary school putting a noose around at least one child's neck.

Kindergarten and first-grade students at Alma J. Brown Elementary School were being taught why nooses are a symbol of racism, an article from the historically black university's student newspaper said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
My hat is off to the Gramblinite for reporting it, and utter disdain for the university president for trying to spike the story. I'm not sure what a first grader can learn about racism by having a noose put around their neck, but I'm sure it can't be academic. I also wonder what the parents of the child think of this? You would think they would have to consent to such a "lesson." I could just see that parental consent form... "Permission to mock lynch your child."

I'll not even delve into the racial inequality of this story.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/10/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a picture is worth a thousand words.

How can people not realize what they were doing. It is a serious subject but the absurdity did make me chuckle.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Racism does still exist ESPECIALLY in the South. The first thing I must question is are these children the right age to even begin discussing a topic like Racism? A child's mind is like a sponge, by discussing a topic like racism at such as early age, are you not in a roundabout way planting seeds of hate? The mind of a 4-5 -6 year old is not capable of grasping all the sides of a social issue like Racism. It would be natural for them to grasp the obvious lessons such as distrust, hate, fear. Are they able to understand completely that not all White people will lynch them or want to lynch them etc etc. Are they able to understand how long ago these types of actions were commonplace and that in today's society this behavior is unacceptable? By associating it with a current case like the Jenna 6, are they associating these lynching lessons to current day USA?

Secondly, Why would tying a noose around a child's neck be needed? I learned about this type of stuff in school also but no one had to tie a noose around my neck to make me get the point. In my mind that is done for no other reason than to scare the child, thus instilling distrust and planting seeds of hate.

This is a very disturbing case on a few different levels. Great find OP
Starred and flagged!

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
You have got to be kidding me.

There is absolutely no explanation or justification as to why this should have taken place. I mean as if race relations arent bad enough currently, they have to be reinforced by these idiotas trying to "teach a lesson".

What kind of mindless person could think that this was OK. Shame on the school for doing this, but props to the news for actaully having the cahjones to get it out into the mainstream.

top topics

join