It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Catastrophic' Volcano eruption off Yemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Wonder if this could be related to the unusual earthquake swarms as of late.

News Link

At this time, the entire island is aglow with lava and magma as it pours down into the sea. We do not have confirmation of how many people were on this island at the time of the eruption".

"The lava is spewing hundreds of feet into the air, with the volcanic ash also (rising) a thousand feet in the air,".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Wow! That is something else...Could be the reason for all the earthquake swarms of late, but maybe not. I think something bigger is in the works soon, hope I am wrong...

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Nice find. Interresting that it happened now on the heels of the "swarms" as you put it. There were also two fairly major quakes off of NZ today as headlined on CNN.com.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Didn't find the article at the SABA site that CNN listed.

Theres 'a Yemeni news article confirming it though.

It says that the quakes started September 7th, and have built up to 3.7 today.

Image of the Island Jabal al-Tair

It looks like some Canuck's happened to be in the area, and now looking for 9 missing Yemen military staff.

They've kindly provided high-res night images of the eruptions.

[edit on 10/1/07 by makeitso]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Apparently there was an earthquake right off the coast of this island as well on Friday. Makes sense being that this island lies on a fault line.

Eight Army troopers were "missing" in a landslide caused by that quake

News Link

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I am curious to find out how high the ash cloud is and where it is traveling. Could cause some significant delays...Did anyone see if that info was in there? Maybe I missed it?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
They said a thousand feet on the ash height in the original article, but being that it is night there... it may be hard to measure at the moment.

I am sure we will have much more info after the sun rises on this part of the world. I am curious to see how long this activity lasts myself. There has been so much activity both vulcan and seismic in the past couple of months.. maybe its all a precursor to something larger.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
New Zealand volcano just went active yesterday. Not far from Loyalty Islands multiple earthquakes. I felt and heard a rumble here for 15 secs a few minutes ago and lifeflight chopper was not passing over.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I see that you are from Ohio. Did you feel this in Ohio? Or are you not at the location shown by your avatar?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Thanks for posting that info. I must of missed it...Anyway, the morning light will reveal what kind of destruction occurred...

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I am indeed in Ohio. I have a door to my office the lock/knob mechanism always rattles when a heavy truck/chopper flies over. No trucks, no chopper but that puppy rattled for 15 secs about 45 mins ago. I read after the massive south pacific earthquake the world rang like a bell for hours and well water as far as Boston splashed about. I think this may have been a huge event. Going to go check seismograph data and post.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Just as I thought. Seismo's around the earth went 'OFF' 50 min's ago. This is a huge event.

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Very interesting. I hope it doesn't cost to many lives. To see the earth like this is amazing to me. All these natural events just fascinate me.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Four killed by the eruption.

AT least four Yemeni soldiers were burned to death when a volcano erupted on a Red Sea island, soldiers evacuated to the port city of Hodeida said today.

"Four of our comrades have died, burned by the lava," said one soldier who was evacuated from the island of Jabal al-Tair, some 100km from Hodeida.

What a horrible way to die.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
NATO ships have rescued two of the missing Yemeni soldiers and give a description of what they saw when the volcano erupted:

UPDATE: NATO Ships Rescue 2 Survivors Of Red Sea Volcano Eruption

NATO ships rescued two survivors and spotted three bodies off the coast of a small Red Sea island Monday morning, following a spectacular volcanic eruption the night before, said a NATO commander.

In addition to the recent New Zealand eruption as noted previously,
Java has activity and a Russian volcano has been rumbling:

Indonesia raises alert level on Mt Kelud volcano

Volcano Shiveluch Threw out Ashes at Kamchatka 300 local quakes associated with this volcano according to the article.

[edit on 2007/10/1 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
www.gns.cri.nz...

This is the Crown research institute in New Zealand (Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences or GNS) Fantastic, informative site and I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering questions.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Here is video of the volcano provided by the Canadians.

Unfortunately its in .mov format that doesn't work for me.

Guess I'll keep looking for video sources.

[edit] -- That didn't take long.

Video at Guardian.

Video Reuters.

Multiple Google video

No daytime shots yet.

[edit on 10/1/07 by makeitso]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Thanks! I was looking for some video myself. They were not exaggerating about the island being almost totally covered with lava.

Still looking for some daytime shots from today.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
According to this article the number of confirmed deaths has risen to 8.

Quote from article linked above:

A Defence Ministry official said the western part of the island had “collapsed” following the eruption. Naval ships were searching the surrounding waters for nine missing Yemeni soldiers who had been stationed on the island.

top topics

join