It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we 'Sims' To a higher power?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Has anyone heard or played a game called the Sims or The Sims 2? If you have not it is an open ended life simulator game. You can create your own family and basically control their lives. Now i have been thinking. Maybe WE are sims to a higher power. Maybe we are possibly sims in someone elses high power possibly virtual reality game.

Or maybe from a different aspect maybe we are 'sims' to aliens per se. Maybe we do not know it but they are controlling our lives. We could have no control over what we do, but we just think we do.

[edit on 30-9-2007 by Shackleford]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I think it is possible that we are controlled or have no power or decision...

But... The 'Sim' games are simulators of our/your 'reality.'

Sim games are fun but... If I was controlling one.. I wouldn't want it to be me L^0L!

Peace, the Bumross

[edit on 9/30/2007 by Bumr055]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Perhaps. Whatever the case, it would probably be impossible to prove. But, you know, life does often feel like a video game to me. It seems like there's always definite objectives for me to accomplish.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Nice post Shackleford

I've often wondered much the same myself from time to time...I stumbled across this site which you might find of interest...

It talks about the possibility of us living within a computer simulation...The idea tends to do my head in after thinking about it for a while, so I don't think about it too often

Peace

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I am not sure if you have seen "The 13th Floor" or not, but that is a movie about this theory of yours. I can see where you are coming from with the idea. Look at the evolution of videogames. Everything is becoming more and more realistic exponentially. Flash forward into the future, exponentially advancing videogame / AI technology and why wouldn't we make a "Matrix / Sims / 13th floor" type game where the inhabitants (characters) don't even know that they are in a game. It just seems like eventually, we will make such a game. Then question, if they don't know that they are in one, how can we be sure that we are not.

Along the same line of reasoning, who is to say that we are not some other beings science experiment? Like an advanced ant hill where they are just watching us as entertainment? If ants would develop weapons / governments...etc, I think they would be a blast to set up and watch. And when they kill eachother off, you just start again and see what happens next time.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
But then, of course, the gameplayers could also be the game characters for someone else ad infinitum.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
fortunatly while swimming i have never had the swimming stairs magically dissappear.

i find it fascinating that all these theroys did not hit the main stream till a some movies came out with them. but all i all it is a possibility that we are living in a video game. same goes to show that we might be living in someones locker or better yet you have seen the endless grains of sand on the beach right. well maybe we are a grain of sand on someones beach. and if we are a grain of sand then how do we differentiate from the other?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Perhaps our Universe is a subatomic particle in some individual's body.

But, with any of these scenarios, how could you ever find proof?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I have often thought that we are just video characters in some advanced video game system. When our mission for the "game" is completed,we "die." I don't know if what I have often suspected is true or not, but it is something I have thought often.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I went through that possibility in my mind, it did not add up. The so called controllers have no control over physical enviroment. So I decided it was lying demons trying to break my mind

Although in the Matrix the writers postulate that the Agent Smiths are limited by physical rules.

I like your post, I have probably spent more time considering this then most people. I mean I actually had to break down logically why it could not be true. To save my sanity

Anyway I could talk for hours on this, but it is not needed.

Statisticly it is probable
DNA\Physical model
Interaction\networking
Single Unit
Multi Unit
Copies
Saves
Multiple Branching.
Religious refrences (every hair on your head is numbered)
Glitches
Interactive self determined updates
FIxes and flaws
AI NPC
User Step-ins
The Story and its purpose
Imortality
Dreams
Testing
R&D
User and who they are
Rules for game (rights of the sim)
Levels
Sides
Moral obligation of the sim not to be played
Freedom

I have spent hours thinking about all of the above.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777
So I decided it was lying demons trying to break my mind

Why is it that everything that doesn't go along with the status quo always called the work of "demons"?
Are we all just supposed to be robotic and believe everything the powers that be have told us through education, politics and religion? I must be a very "eeevil" individual, because I believe almost nothing that comes from the mouths of our politicians and pastors, clerics and priests.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Any believers must believe we are Sims....if it is God's will....... but tell them that some higher power is organising them that is not god, they're not happy. I don't care to be honest, if its an illusion, then its fine by me........

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by redled
Any believers must believe we are Sims....if it is God's will.......

Well, obviously I think that the higher power being referred to would be God; if you're going to try and convince me that aliens are somehow doing it, then that opens a whole other can of worms.

Here is what the poster originally said:

Now i have been thinking. Maybe WE are sims to a higher power. Maybe we are possibly sims in someone elses high power possibly virtual reality game.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I decided it by their actions, not by what the world says, it is my conclusion. I could say aliens, MKULTRA, Astrol travel, or anything else, I chose to chalk unamed eunexplained events as demons because for me they fit that model best.

In my belief God is their also, but he does not play us like a sim, he gave us free will, so I only talked of the things I would compare to playing a sim, in my book the bad side.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Redge, I mean no offense, but I seriously question the whole idea of "free will." Free will indicates the ability to be able to do what one wants... That is not the system we live in at all. Too many of our decisions are dictated by circumstance rather than what we really would want or like to do in life.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I believe the concept of life being a game to be valid enough for consideration. However, I suspect we might be playing a game with ourselves rather than being the victims of the Gods.

When entering any game and in order to make the game more real and enjoyable, I have to forget the surroundings outside of the game for awhile, have to identify with the role and game for awhile, have to pretend to be "in" the game for awhile. The more real I make it the more exciting it gets. In my view death is waking up from the game.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Interesting post, and one I haven't thought about for some considerable time.

As a child I allowed myself to ponder on this very same question, and I can even remember what triggered it; seeing a movie in the cinema.
What, my younger self wondered, if there were "giants" who are watching our every move, sitting in a monumental auditorium, eating simply enormous buckets of popcorn. Our everyday lives were nothing but a neverending drama, played out for their enjoyment. The idea didn't seem silly then, and to a greater extent now, still doesn't.

We all, in our own way, believe this idea of being manipulated by a greater power to be true. Religion, and the concept of god, explains it for many, whilst fate, karma and now even greys and unfreindly governments are not far behind. In each instance, we are accepting, sometimes reluctantly, of a guiding hand (friendly or not) pushing us along the path of life. Many struggle and fight, whilst many more willingly enjoy the ride.

Personally, life, with these pushes and shoves, has lead me down some dark alleys, and I have to admit that at the time I couldn't understand why. But now, after having accepted the concept of outside manipulation, I allow my path to open up before me. It's lead me to real, though sometimes flawed, happiness. For that reason, I kind of get the idea that who, or whatever is up there, around here, inside me, is just as succeptible to its own extraneous interference as I am.

But I believe that at the end of the day the universe, as I've grown to know it by, still guides me towards a destiny. I am not one to question or change what that is, as neither would or could, say, a Sim character. Yes, we have an ability to act randomly, as our pixellated cousins do, but that's as far as it goes. It's what we do when we're acting randomly, I believe, that endears or repulses our respective guiding hands.

For those who play computer games, especially those life-sims; how many times have you just watched your character potter around, sit down and read, pee itsself? Sometimes it's fascinating, sometimes it's annoying. And you react depending on what mood you're in. That, it seems to me, is how the universe works. How else would you explain war, murder, disease, hunger and sorrow whilst others wallow in riches and excess? There's no fairness or neglect, life's just is as it is.

So, are we being watched from some grand, divine theatre, where the giants can guide and mould their favourite characters? IMO, for what it's worth and with absolutely no evidence to back it up, yes.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

At any moment we are allowed to chose how we react to circumstances, and how we feel. It is true that many of our situations stem from others actions, but that just proves that society itself has free will, as it shapes and moldes itself.

But I understand what you mean, we do not have free will to chose the quality of our path, only the direction we walk on it.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Reminds me of a book I read many decades ago, "Transactional Analysis, Games People Play. It says many of our actions our really games at an unconscious level to keep ourselves entertained and stimulated. It addresses the points of self delusion to maintain the illusion.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

Very well put indeed. I have thought of these many things myself. I agree with you in many ways. But first I must say your use of the term Giants is insightful, not only are they opposite of midgets(inside joke), they are demons in old testament, industrialist/power players in popular culture, and the thing that is so easily defeated by a humble Shepard boy.

Your point on randomness, I so agree, if we are being controlled, then mixing the pattern makes prediction of choice less likely. To throw out many possible paths by establishing a pattern of erratic behavior requires higher computational resources and is a way to fight the machine.

If it is true that we are controlled, we must ask why. If we are entertainment they we should work to not entertain. And entertainment would be giving the controller some gratification, mistakes of output expectation should lower their satisfaction level, especially if something is ridding on their predictions. If we are experimental, we should work to give unpredicted reportable results. Experimental value should be as small as possible. We should avoiding action/reward programmed mentality.

Personally I think, I will call them demons, do try to control us for there perverse pleasure, but we defeat them by using the free will I mentioned above, take the highroad often. Don't follow the bread crumbs, and learn learn learn. Always treat all interactions as a two way source of information and refine your thoughts from what you learn.

Oh, almost forgot, this controlled environment is a lie to break your mind, it is not really controlled, remember their is no spoon. If they convince you you are controlled, then you are. Until that day gleefully laugh at their feeble attempts to limit your joy of life, laugh with and love all things.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join