It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't the moon spin?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Here is a great animated gif that shows the lunation of the moon.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
How come the moon gets the sun's light, when the Earth is blocking it? Is it blocking it?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientVoid
How come the moon gets the sun's light, when the Earth is blocking it? Is it blocking it?

That would be called an eclipse. That occurs many times somewhere on earth. I am sure if you do a google on lunar eclipses you will find it explained.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Here is a great animated gif that shows the lunation of the moon.

Whoah!

Now that made my head spin!!

Thanks for the carnival ride!

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Author Stewart Swerdlow spoke about a Reptilian race which lives underground and first came here over 800,000 years ago. This information was imparted to him, he claimed, during the 13 years he served as an experimental subject in a government-sponsored mind control project in Montauk, NY

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 1
www.youtube.com...

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 2
www.youtube.com...

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 3
www.youtube.com...

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 4
www.youtube.com...

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 5
www.youtube.com...

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 6
www.youtube.com...

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 7
www.youtube.com...

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 8
www.youtube.com...

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 9
www.youtube.com...

Reptilians & Mind Control Part 10
www.youtube.com...

Stewart Swerdlow talks about how the moon was actually put there by the Reptilians and that it is hollow...which explains it not spinning...and he also talks about how the astoroid belt was a planet named Marduk(or somthing) that got destroyed by the Reptilian race a long time ago...he also goes in to Time Travel and how it is possible with the mind...so take what u want from it...it really is time to think outside the box and open yer minds..

Dont you know your are GODS?...and you can control your own universe?...your thoughts are what makes you what you are and what you see...

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hi all

Nice thread.
But so many people still say wrong things.

1. The moon does spin!
The moon definitely rotates. It just doesn't look like it, from where we stand.
2. The moon has no so called darkside!
it's called the farside of the moon.

And, you probably know that the moon actually takes about a month to go around the earth. That's where we get the word "month."

Nando out!

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   
oo once a month, that clears things up. I thought it was every day and i was confused why we don't get full moon and the other moons on the same day.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Stewart Swerdlow talks about how the moon was actually put there by the Reptilians and that it is hollow...which explains it not spinning...and he also talks about how the astoroid belt was a planet named Marduk(or somthing) that got destroyed by the Reptilian race a long time ago...he also goes in to Time Travel and how it is possible with the mind...so take what u want from it...it really is time to think outside the box and open yer minds..

Here are the things which annot me about this site.

1. Which Asteroid belt?
2. Possible with the mind? Of course it is, its called Imagination.
3. The most annoying one, you are assuming that to open our minds, we have to believe you.

for instance, i believe you to be dead wrong. Why are being pretentious and telling me to 'open my mind' on something which i am quite sure is nothing more but the rantings of a diseased mind?

EDIT:

Dont you know your are GODS?

Although i agree with this.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by Octavius Maximus]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Octavius Maximus

Nicely put Octavius Maximus, sir!

I agree also, today I am a god, but I shall not give my followers any time off!

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Here's another question. If one were on the Moon observing the Earth would the Earth always present the same 'face' to the obeserver making it appear that the Earth was not roatating as well?

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

No, because the Earth rotates once every 24 hours as oppsed to the Moon that rotates once every 28 (+/-) days.

So someone watching from the Moon will see all of the Earth in one day as the Earth rotates.

Not to confuse the issue, but I suppose there are times that the face of the Earth faceing the moon is in total darkness (the night-time side). During those times, none of the Earth can be seen because it is dark (just like a "new moon" has its night-time side facing the Earth)

[edit on 10/7/2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I can't edit my post above, so I need to clarify what I said here...

When I said "No" I meant you that you are incorrect -- the Earth DOES rotate when viewed from the moon. I did NOT mean "No, the Earth doesn't rotate". I believe the rest of my post was clear, but the first sentence was ambiguous.

Thanks

[edit on 10/8/2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Interesting topic. The locked position of the moon to the earth supports the idea that the moon was actually born from the proto Earth. When it separated, the heaviest elements in the moon got pulled towards one side, which is probably why the moon is locked in that spin. It's like when you take a round magnet and spin it around another bigger round magnet. The smaller magnet will rotate as you push it around. If it didn't, it would be scraping along the surface of the larger magnet.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by shearder

Well the thing is, that every body in the solar system, given enough time, will eventually become tidally locked with it's parent body, be it the moons to their planets and the planets to the sun. So really, it's not that unusual.

More on this here.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaruseleh
...or is this one of those things that points to what John Lear has said about the moon essentially being a giant space station of sorts...

Hi. Sorry, I tried searching but couldn't find anything to answer my question about what you say here.

Were you just talking about what Mr.Lear has been saying that bases/structures/etc. are on the moon and therefore the moon has become a giant base (natural satellite being occupied)?

Or were you saying that he has claimed that the entire moon is an artificial structure/base (artificial satellite)?

I would ask him myself but I don't want to bother someone if this is just me misunderstanding what you meant.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
dp

[edit on 24-10-2007 by Comatose]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The moon is gravitationally tied to the earth. The moon is not a perfect sphere. It actully has more mass on one side than the other. Imagine a inflated bouncing ball tied by a string. You spin that ball around you in a circle and we allways see the same side of the ball. The ball's shape changes and bulges to form a point which faces the earth. Now obviously the moon looks like a sphere. But when you measure it mathemetically you find that there is more mass on the far side of the moon.

This is why it rotates perfectly 1:1 with earth.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
So after all these responses does the moon spin?

I would say it doesn't spin. I wouldn't even say it rotates. I would say that it orbits or even circles the earth. It is basically a question of semantics, but I would not say the moon spins or rotates. If you drive your car around in a circle around a fixed point are you rotating or spinning? I would say not.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

If you drive your car around a fixed spot, your car will rotate once per loop. From a fixed point outside your loop, I will be able to see every surface of your car once per circuit.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
So after all these responses does the moon spin?

I would say it doesn't spin. I wouldn't even say it rotates. I would say that it orbits or even circles the earth. It is basically a question of semantics, but I would not say the moon spins or rotates. If you drive your car around in a circle around a fixed point are you rotating or spinning? I would say not.

Maybe in colloquial usage it's a question of semantics, but in physics it's a question of angular momentum, which is strictly defined. If you put a gyroscope on the moon's in the right way, it would tell you that it's rotating once a month.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join