Why doesn't the moon spin?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Further more, for this to be so that must mean the moon maintains a nearly perfect ellipt between the earth and the sun. If it ranged high or low we would have opportunity to see the dark side.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
That would be why the sun and the moon are in nearly exactly the same tracts in the sky. They remain in parallelum positioning. Ok, I'm done now. Thanks for putting up with me.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It's a flippin' DEATH STAR, MAN!!!! Darth Zeta is just waiting til the last season of Lost is over to destroy us all with his death ray.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Lunar coincidences

Originally posted by jpm1602
Ok Pfiel, after viewing aid it all makes perfect sense to me now. Still think it's a spooked out coincidence of a multiple of factors how it is of perfect dimension and distance to perfectly blot sun during eclipses etc etc.

Yes, it is a bit of a tall order. ATS's resident physics guru, Neon Haze thinks so too, or so I understand.

The Moon appears to have been perfectly set up to draw skywards the attention of any intelligent life that evolves down here.

That doesn't mean it was, of course.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
And anyway, what is a moon?

A moon is originally a small planet revolving around its sun in a spiral that becomes increasingly tight. The smaller planets spiral more rapidly than the larger ones, because their inertial force is less.

Their spiral being faster, the smaller planets often catch up to the larger planets and, if they pass too closely, the gravitational attraction of the planet will be stronger than that of the sun. The smaller planet begins to orbit the larger one, still in a spiral, which will sooner or later result in a collision.

Are you saying that our beautiful moon celebrated in poem and song, will one day fall on our heads?

One day, yes... but not for about 195 000 years.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
@DonWhan

I would go with the "the moon doesnt spin because it is a giant observational UFO that was placed here to keep watch on us simple human lifeform" option.

I know it is the most outlandish suggestion, but given the fact that we have seen little of the dark side of the moon and while coupled with the conspiratorial nature of that subject, I think that it doesn spin because "they" dont want it to spin.

Just my 2 cents

Please... Dont tell me you are being serious.

If you are, may i please ask you why?

because seriously.

"The moon doesnt spin because Its majority mass is on one side, locking it with the earths gravity"

"What?! No! that doesnt make sense at all! Its gotta be Aliens! or the government! Or both!"

"Why?! I just told you wh-"

"Then why do you only see half of the moon ever?!"

"I just told you why! Because its in a locked gravity!"

"NO! I dont like that explanation, give me a new one!"

A moon is originally a small planet revolving around its sun in a spiral that becomes increasingly tight. The smaller planets spiral more rapidly than the larger ones, because their inertial force is less.

Huh? In space there is nothing to stop Inertia...

Their spiral being faster, the smaller planets often catch up to the larger planets and, if they pass too closely, the gravitational attraction of the planet will be stronger than that of the sun. The smaller planet begins to orbit the larger one, still in a spiral, which will sooner or later result in a collision.

Where is your information and source on this?

Are you saying that our beautiful moon celebrated in poem and song, will one day fall on our heads?

One day, yes... but not for about 195 000 years.

Well it wont come closer unless earths gravity weakens.

Earths gravity wont weaken unless we reduce our overall mass too much.

like, maybe, building space shuttles and not bringing them back?

thats my understanding anyway.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Don Wahn
... but given the fact that we have seen little of the dark side of the moon...

Actually, the entire far side of the moon's surface has been photographed AND seen with real, human eyes. Here is a composite image of the Dark Side of the Moon.

[edit on 1/10/2007 by Thousand]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
No need for nastI here Maximus. This is a forum of ideas. Personal attacks are most counterproductive. Peace.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:50 AM
link   
how was that a personal attack? It was an imitation which got carried away

Still, it sounds like it.

How is "We cant see the dark side of the moon" evidence of a conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The way the moon rotates and orbits the earth etc etc etc is a seriously great piece of "engineering" LOL

I mean what are the chances of having this so perfect that we don't see the "dark" side!

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Actually, there is slightly more to it. The Moon wobbles slightly in it's orbit, so every now and then we get to see a small part of the dark side of the Moon, a good friend of mine used these "libations" to discover the Mre Orientale (or the Eastern Sea)

Tidally locked satellites are not unique to Earth, Mercury is tidally locked with the sun, Diemos and Phobos are locked with Mars, Io, Europa Ganymeade and Callisto are locked with Jupiter and so on...

(see en.wikipedia.org...)

[edit on 1-10-2007 by timelike]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Already knew that 'timelike', just wasn't getting big pic. Shalom.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Oh gosh now I'm getting defensive and pizzy. They are called 'libations'. I'm off to bed. Goodnite all.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaruseleh

Actually the moon does spin It spins once every orbit around earth. So we always see the same side. The planet Mercury also spins once on it's axis every solar orbit. I'm sure there are others .

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArioK

That would only be true if the primary's orbital period increases or if there is friction to take away the orbiting body's angular momentum. In the case of the Earth-Moon system, it doesn't. Through the laws of conservation of angular momentum, that means that the Moon is spiralling away from Earth, ever so slightly because the Earth's spin rate is decreasing.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Here's an interesting web page about moon anomalies.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
It's rotational and gravitational drag is just so that when earth is in darkness, the dark side of the moon to us, is in darkness. (Now if I had a really big bloody flashlight...)

Just to clarify...

The so called 'darkside of the moon' is the side away from the earth, that is never seen from earth. Sometimes the near side and the 'darkside' are sunlit, sometimes not. At the full moon, the nearside is lit. At the new moon the farside ('darkside') is lit. At the first quarter half the near side is lit, half is in the dark.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Iseek

Nice find, Iseek!

Very interesting stuff.

The info on that page lends credence to "the moon is artificial" theories.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Thanks Roadgravel...I was looking for the post that clarified this for the other posters.

Let me add (and I'll probably duplicate Roadgravel somewhat), there is NO "Darkside of the Moon". As roadgravel said, it should be called the "Farside of the Moon". The Farside of the Moon is lit by the sun for an equal amount of time as the near side. It just so happens that the lit "farside" is always pointing away from the Earth.

Thinking of it this way may also help understand the "rotation question".

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

My apologies jpm1602- I meant the post for Jaruseleh!

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join