It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming myth. Is it really Solar Climate Change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to post this.

There is a lot of hype about man made Global Warming, and the agenda is being pushed very hard. When you take a step back though and take a wider look, it appears that there are loads of changes occurring on other planets in our system. Take a look:

Climate Change across the Solar System

What's your thoughts on this? Does anyone have any more information?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The sun has been creating more solar radiation, so all the planets are warming. Those high up in power are making use of people believing that's it carbon emmisions that are causing it. A scam on a par with 9/11.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I agree on solar being the culprit. You know you will get dozens of people that have heard the same story over and over and cant believe we wont take responsibility for what we are doing. And if you dont agree your dumping used motor oil on baby ducks at the local pond on the weekends....

The data supports that carbon levels rise after changes happen , they are not what causes them to happen in the first place. Plus like its been said the same increases in temperature are happening on Mars...There is nothing wrong with trying to save energy and all that jazz. But realize your doing it to save money and resources, its not going to effect the global warming scam. Global warming is happening, but its not man made plain and simple. Mark my words, Man made Global Warming will be a joke and people will think this generation was pretty gullible in the distant future. After all Global Cooling was the fad some 20-30yrs ago, look it up.

Now comes the people that will say all the respected scientist say its man made and all that. I thought this site liked to not believe most of what they read and hear on mainstream media sources, but this one seems to be an exception.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well, anyone who doesn't think that man is paying a role in global warming, regardless of how minimal, seems rather naive to me. Now, I personally think that all of this is rather cyclical, but I think we are speeding up the process, really.

Are carbon emissions the main cause? No. Are they a contributor? I think so. Besides, lets assume that we aren't causing global warming, are you also going to make the assumption that we "dear" humans are also innocent of the toxic chemicals being released into the atmosphere, due to our greed, every solitary day?

[edit on 1-10-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Again I wouldnt swear that we have 0% part it whats going on, but the big polls and "proof" actually do state that carbon is the part we add to the problem and if you look its such a small part its not even accountable, as in .018-.18% or something along those lines, not even a percent or even close, heck if it was 10% it wouldnt be that much of a factor, but would make me think more about it for sure.

So again, dont pollute , save resources and all that, I dont think you will hear much fighting over that.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Wiz4769]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
From the original link, there is evidence of some warming on less than a handful of major bodies in the solar system, and a storm on Jupiter. All can be explained without having to invoke increases in solar activity per se (i.e., orbital effects etc). Given there are dozens of planets and moons, a handful warming means nothing, they can only do one of three things - warm, cool, no change.

You need to look at the sun itself, and the link is misrepresenting the evidence. Yes, solar activity has been at high levels for a while, but it has not been increasingly significantly for about 50 years. Indeed, it appears to have been reducing in activity over the last 20 years or so.

Why do I say the site is misrepresenting the evidence? Because they have completely ignored all the conclusions of the study, cherrypicking what they want to support their specious argument.

The study they are using is a Sami Solanki lab study, which claims:

Unusual activity of the Sun during recent decades compared to the
previous 11,000 years

S. K. Solanki1, I. G. Usoskin2, B. Kromer3, M. Schu¨ ssler1 & J. Beer4

Direct observations of sunspot numbers are available for the past
four centuries1,2, but longer time series are required, for example,
for the identification of a possible solar influence on climate and
for testing models of the solar dynamo. Here we report a
reconstruction of the sunspot number covering the past 11,400
years, based on dendrochronologically dated radiocarbon concentrations.
We combine physics-based models for each of the
processes connecting the radiocarbon concentration with sunspot
number. According to our reconstruction, the level of solar
activity during the past 70 years is exceptional, and the previous
period of equally high activity occurred more than 8,000 years
ago.We find that during the past 11,400 years the Sun spent only
of the order of 10% of the time at a similarly high level of
magnetic activity and almost all of the earlier high-activity
periods were shorter than the present episode. Although the
rarity of the current episode of high average sunspot numbers
may indicate that the Sun has contributed to the unusual climate
change during the twentieth century, we point out that solar
variability is unlikely to have been the dominant cause of the
strong warming during the past three decades3

And the paper they reference (3), is a previous Solanki study (Solanki & Krivova, 2003), which showed this:

Which shows that the correlation between solar activity and climate broke down during the second-half of the 20th century.

The most recent study of solar activity (Lockwood and Frohlich, 2007) shows that solar activity has been on a downturn since the 1980s, yet temperatures just keep on trucking:

Top diagram shows solar flux, the second sunspot number, the third is total solar irradiance, and the last one shows the temperature trend since the 70s.

Solar activity cannot explain current warming, it has likely contributed, but it is not sufficient to explain the current warming.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

Solar activity cannot explain current warming, it has likely contributed, but it is not sufficient to explain the current warming.

How about undersea megaplumes? Ocean warming. I don't hear enough about it but it's quite suspect to me. What can you tell me about it? It seems to fit this article I found, which isn't getting much attention:

Carbon dioxide did not end the last Ice Age

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
How about undersea megaplumes? Ocean warming. I don't hear enough about it but it's quite suspect to me. What can you tell me about it? It seems to fit this article I found, which isn't getting much attention:

Carbon dioxide did not end the last Ice Age

I do have some evidence showing that the warming of the oceans is from above rather than below. Thus, although there may be a superplumes in various places, this would not explain the observations (i.e. major warming at the ocean surface).

ABE2: I'd have to figure out where this came from, but it essentially shows the warming at the surface rather than beneath:

ABE3: originally posted here with a bit of explanation.

Also, that recent ice-age study says nothing new really, that's why it's not making a big splash. No-one suggested that CO2 caused the end of the ice-age. It was a contributing factor. I would suggest that this is a case of crappy media reporting of science.

The general explanation of the warming at the end of an ice-age is that orbital variations caused an increase in temperatures, this led to warming of oceans and land carbon sinks, which emittted GHGs, causing more warming. That is, CO2 was a part of a positive feedback system. I think Stott accepts this very clearly in his study. So, he has just found more support for what we already knew, heh. Which is good, of course.

It essentially has nothing to say about the underlying causes of the current situation.

ABE:

Aye, here you go...

Because such deep seawater circulates from the coast of Antarctica, this deep-water warming implies that the Southern Ocean drove the last major climate change. Stott notes that the periodic wobble in the Earth's rotational axis described by the Milankovitch cycles led to more sunshine falling on the Antarctic at the same time—a likely cause of the warming waters. "The amount of solar energy increased at the same time as this deep-sea warming," he says. "Sea ice around the Southern Ocean was withdrawing."

According to the marine core sample, a full millennium passed—enough time for both the deep and surface waters to entirely switch places—before sea-surface temperatures and global atmospheric levels of CO2 began to rise. The greenhouse gas then further warmed the changing climate, Stott says.

www.sciam.com...

So, orbital variations affect climate by warming the earth, GHGs emitted, so more warming.

Nothing new to the big picture.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liste

There is a lot of hype about man made Global Warming, and the agenda is being pushed very hard.

When I was studying Geology at University in Christchurch, New Zealand, the main antagonist against human-induced global warming was a coal industry researcher. I wonder if he had an agenda?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

You say it best dude. Its proven co2 emits are a contributing factor, but I would say that 85% of it (global warming) or more is due to the sun. It is fact that increased radiation is causing this.

As far as the conspiracy on par with 9/11 goes, yes its another system of control. If the sun hasn't been acting the way it is (supposed to, in cycles that exist back to when the was BORN) all these cars, SUV's, coal plants, houses, cows, other green emits, would have minimal global effect. There are plenty of trees around for us and our cars to almost negate the effects.

Ice caps on mars are melting.

The solar flare coming in 2012 will be hot enough to melt Jupiter's moon Europa.

In al gores film, which I threw up 3 times watching because I freakin hate this fat cat, he NEVER mentioned the sun being a factor. Scientific fact it is. So not only is he a hippie for not following his own ways, hes effectively a disinformation agent. What al gore (omfg vomit every time I think of name) won't show is the ice records of the last solar event like this more than thousands of years ago. The records exist deep in ice. Most of his charts date to hundreds.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by 1337cshacker]

top topics

join