It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia Wars erupt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Wikipedia Wars This is a interesting story. I have been hearing bad press about the wikipedia editors recently. They are deleting, and manipulating many peoples work. Now they edited the big boss.
I understand there is a way to track who does the edits. It is a new program that logs IP numbers.

By David Sarno

Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

September 30, 2007

ON Sept. 17, Jimmy "Jimbo" Wales, the founding father of Wikipedia and the community's most celebrated member, created a one-sentence article that read as follows:

"Mzoli's Meats is a butcher shop and restuarant [sic] located in Guguletu township near Cape Town, South Africa."

Twenty-two minutes later, the article was deleted from the site. Nineteen-year-old administrator Chad Horohoe, who uses the moniker "^demon," removed the entry, citing Wikipedia guideline CSD A7 (Criteria for Speedy Deletion: Articles: No. 7), which says that an article can be summarily deleted -- with no discussion or notice to the author -- if it contains "no assertion of importance/significance."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Link LA Times

DWT

[edit on 30-9-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Sarno......

Isn't he one of the people involved with the Haiti UFO hoax episode?

I haven't checked out the article yet, but looking at your snippet I saw the name and it reminded me of that deal. I will check it out....

Edit : added sentence

[edit on 2007/9/30 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
This is quite common. Wikipedia admins are notorious control freaks, who are almost answerable to no-one (bar Jimbo himself). Many work pretty much without any oversight at all and a fair few allow their personal biases to colour how they edit and control articles (look for User:MUNGO for an excellent example).

For an excellent oversight into how Wikipedia works (or rather, doesn't), I suggest reading Wikitruth, or any of the Encyclopedia Dramatica articles related to Wikipedia. The latter link is more humour related, but does have some content worth noting, if you spend enough time looking around.

new topics

join