It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mets Blow It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
How could the Mets blow a 7 game lead with only 17 games left to play? I gotta tell ya, I'm devistated. I think a lead like that has only been blown maybe twice in baseball. The Mets have made their good years by coming from behind, and being in first place since May this season was something very different for them. I can't believe I have to wait till next spring. The Mets fell apart, there is no excuse for their crappy September.:bnghd:

Well, there is always next season.:shk:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Glavine threw the game. There's no other explanation for his horrific pitching. I could've gone out there and managed to get out of that inning.

It's disappointing and the saddest part is that we will now have to see what kind of changes Minaya makes to try and improve this team. He'll trade away talent for crappy pitching and we'll still be the best team in the National League that can't win at home or when it matters.

On the even dimmer side, we are now forced to read about the Yankees for a few more weeks.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I don't think Willie Randolph is going to survive the winter. I mean, the fans are going to raise a major stink, especially if the Yankees win the series this year.
Major choke job for the Mets. Ouch!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Ahhh the New York Mess make a return,bravo.
Almost makes me feel better about the collapse of the Milwaukee Brewers.
:bnghd:
But not completely....damn damn Turnbow

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
courtesy of espn.com

Forty-four reasons the New York Mets suffered perhaps the greatest collapse in baseball history, blowing a seven-game lead in their final 17 games:

1. The Curse of Bobby Bonilla.

2. The Curse of Kevin Mitchell's Ex-Girlfriend's Cat.

3. Marketing slogan "Your Season Has Come" was pretty much a gift-wrapped jinx waiting to happen.

4. Shouldn't have brought back Vince Coleman to light the fuse for the special division-winning fireworks show.

5. Jose Reyes in April: .356/.442/.596, "Best player in baseball"; Jose Reyes in September: .214/.290/.348, "Hey, that's how Rey Ordonez used to hit."

6. Stuck with a meager $101 million payroll instead of $199 million payroll like the Yankees.

7. They lacked the enthusiasm necessary to win, unlike this guy.

8. When the most solid part of your team is the bench (Endy Chavez, Ramon Castro, Ruben Gotay, Marlon Anderson), it might be a sign that some other parts -- like, oh, the starting rotation, the bullpen, the defense, the clutch hitting -- need some work.

9. Everyone knows Tom Glavine hits the wall at 200 innings ... why did Willie Randolph try to squeeze even one-third of an inning more out of him?

10. Why, oh why, bring back Timo Perez as a pinch runner?

11. Staff ERA by month: April, 2.96; May, 3.73; June, 4.20; July, 4.50; August, 4.93; September, 5.14.

12. Shouldn't have benched Hope Solo.

13. Players turned against each other after team-wide fantasy football draft in early September.

14. Lastings Milledge is no Willie Mays.

15. Maybe management should have realized Carlos Delgado can't hit lefties anymore (.267/.318/.386).

16. Let's see: Ramon Castro hits 11 homers in 144 at-bats while Paul Lo Duca hits nine homers in 445 at-bats. Oh, and did we mention Lo Duca grounded into 18 double plays? See, here's the thing: Lo Duca may be perceived as a leader in the clubhouse, but Castro is the better player.

17. Mr. Met got distracted by his midseason election to the Hall of Fame.

18. Well, that 6-12 record against the Phillies sure didn't help.

19. David Wright's lady wore a T-shirt to Shea Stadium that only said "fudge."

20. Too wrapped up in Brett Favre's historic chase to concentrate on the task at hand.

21. Scoffed at the idea of signing Roger Clemens because he's be toast by September.

22. Rickey Henderson says Rickey should have played instead of coached.

23. Glavine suffered a concussion after being sacked by Osi Umenyiora.

24. Team got wore down by all the interviews conducted by the Mitchell Investigation.

25. Designated Julio Franco for assignment on July 13, raising team's average age.

26. Team chemistry broke down after Moises Alou introduced a secret handshake.

27. Don't have that awesome 1-2 set-up crew of Jose Mesa and Antonio Alfonseca like the Phillies do.

28. Bill Belichick was stealing the Mets' signals.

29. Not enough Facebook friends.

30. Probably shouldn't have honored the '93 Mets back in that touching on-field ceremony.

31. Well, there was that 7-3 lead they blew to the Nationals on Sept. 18.

32. And that 7-4 lead they blew to the Marlins in the bottom of the ninth on Sept. 20.

33. And that three-game set against the Nationals from Sept. 24-26 in which the Mets allowed 32 runs against the NL's lowest-scoring team.

34. Pat Burrell hit 19 homers with 60 RBIs in the second half.

35. Jimmy Rollins played baseball while Jose Reyes sulked.

36. The Phillies overcame an injury to MVP candidate Chase Utley ... while the Mets resorted to using Guillermo Mota over and over and ...

37. Maybe that start given to Chan Ho Park on April 30 wasn't such a good idea.

38. Anderson Hernandez just isn't a "True Met."

39. In some convoluted way, the departure of Anna Benson must be to blame.

40. Mets just wanted to ensure they'd get the cover of the New York Post.

41. No inspiring speech from Pedro about plunking Richie Ashburn in the rear end.

42. Players wanted to clear their schedules in order to watch exciting postseason baseball.

43. Umm, the bullpen?

44. Because they're not the Yankees.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Yeah I got this email from the mets.com mailer. It just seems to add insult to injury. As if this time of year wasn't depressing enough :shk:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Yeah, I think it would've been nice to see Reyes mix in a few more "bunt for hits" when it became nut-cutting time. A guy as fast as him can almost do it at will. What did he hit....like .158 or something with 17 games left in the season on 'til the end? Pathetic.

In all honesty though, the Phils with a healthy ace in Cole Hamels are a superior team. Their 1 through 5 in the batting order are freakin' ridiculous! Definitely a better watch on TV too.

Peace

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
FITTING PHOTO...

[edit on 10/2/2007 by acegotflows]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Metsies! Willie is too easy a manager on them and the Reyes fight at the end of the season put a wet towel in all of them, he's overrated and should learn to play smart ball not smart-mouthing. Loved watching that collapse -- go fightin' PHILS!

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

He doesn't bunt for hits very often, I agree he should work on that. I did notice that when he was swinging, he wasn't getting on top of the ball at all. He needs to forget about home run swings and stick with what works. Also running out plays might help, instead of just standing around staring at the ball lookin stupid. (after he was already benched previously in the season for the same thing.) I mean, if anyone can run out infield hits, it's him. There is no excuse for him not running after hitting the ball:bnghd:

new topics

top topics

join